Front diff

burg99

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Just found out my front diff is out on my 2003 olds bravada. I'm planning on putting in a used one but was wondering if anyone knows what all I need. I've been told just the front diff, I've been told just carrier assembly and I've been told whole front assembly. I can get used front diff for 400.00 with 50,000 on it. Not sure if I need front diff, actuator and carrier. Also been told carrier assembly is the same as front diff. I'm a little confused. Any help would be great

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the Nation!

The front diff consists of 3 parts: The main gear case, the disconnect on the passenger side and the intermediate shaft that goes between the two through the oil pan. The disconnect is not a true disconnect but just a "connect" since the front wheels are always engaged with the diff in AWD trucks. If not replaced, it would be well worth to disassemble it and check it out, and if in good condition, clean out the congealed greased and repack with a good quality synthetic grease.

I would not buy a separate carrier, which is basically just the part that holds the ring gear, which would be useless in your case. Get the whole thing. Just be sure it's the same gear ratio.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The carrier is in the front diff.

That is honestly a pretty high cost for a used one. If you need 3.73, I could likely ship my spare cheaper.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Codes in the glovebox will tell you your gear ratio. GU6 = 3.42, GT4 = 3.73, GT5 = 4.10

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online