Front diff sound?

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
So, short story, had the front end apart weekend. Rebuilt the splined disconnect, although it doesn't disconnect anything on the AWD. New bearings and seals. Also did the passenger side seal on the front diff, which was the original reason for the work.

Got it all back together late last night, or rather early this morning, And drove home. I now have a tickingish sound at low speeds, particular after turning, that sounds like it's rotational except that it continues after I come to a complete stop, but does stop if I put it in neutral.

Super frustrated as we leave on a trip tomorrow and I need to tow our pop-up camper. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Update: Solved it, kinda. Took it to a local shop to get their diagnosis - my time frame to leave is too tight to do my normal messing around with it, and with a 3,000 mile trip coming I don't want surprises!

Anyway, 2 of their guys drove it and messed with it for a bit, and they were 100% certain it's some kind of body noise. It would seem we might have tweeked something doing the removal and installation, so that makes me feel much better. Now to track that down...

Reactions: Redbeard

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Check brake hardware, particularly the metal shim pieces the pads ride on. Mine would tick sometimes and it was because rust along the edge of the rotor would catch that edge slightly making go tick-tick-tick with every revolution. The fix was to clean the metal pieces and then go around the edge of the rotor real quick with a wire brush to knock any rust buildup off.

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Final story is heat shield. As I started my vacation, it got MUCH noisier, kinda freaked me out. I took it to a local shop, and they were able to put it up on a lift and track the noise down. Took less then 10 minutes, but put my mind at ease for the rest of the 3,000 mile trip.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online