Front Carrier Assembly 1 hole under or 2 hole. 3.73

RossMan

Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Hey Gang,
I am new to GMTNation.com today and in search of answers to issues in regards to the front carrier Assy. for my 2003 Envoy,4.2, SLE. I have been trying to find the proper used part for replacement of the carrier assy. and the issue of 1 mounting hole or 2 mounting holes under the yoke comes up on every part I find that seems to be the proper fit. My envoy is a 2003 which from my research requires a 2 mounting hole under the yoke version. I am looking for a visual confirmation on this mounting hole issue because I have had a carrier assy. shipped to me from a salvage yard stating that it is from a 2004 Envoy with 3.73 gears.I am not 100% sure it is the proper unit. Prior to getting into the dismantling and replacement of the front end diff. I need to confirm that the unit I purchased does indeed fit my application.I know that best way to do this is to get the vehicle on a lift and check visually but there is a problem that keeps me from doing that at this time. I am laid up in bed after a total knee joint replacement and I am trying to do my research until I am recovered enough to to the work.
Does anyone have a diagram, picture or link to show just exactly what the two mounting hole version looks like as compared to the one hole version?I can provide a picture of the unit I got from the salvage yard but I am not sure on how to post it to a link. Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.

RossMan

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! I have been seeing that exact question for six years on the other site, and never saw a picture of a two-hole differential. Never read about anyone buying one.

Here's a pic

View attachment 18013

I'll continue to dig deeper, but somebody else here may have the answer. It may have also been a GM error from day one, implying there are two designs like the alternator capacity, when there was really only one version ever produced.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 16

RossMan

Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Thanks Bill,
The pic you posted looks just like the one I just piced up from the salvage yard.
What year is that one from? the 1 hole from 2002 or the later 2 hole from 2003-09? Or both?
Thanks again... If something else comes up let me know.
RossMan

the roadie said:
Welcome! I have been seeing that exact question for six years on the other site, and never saw a picture of a two-hole differential. Never read about anyone buying one.

Here's a pic

View attachment 2926

I'll continue to dig deeper, but somebody else here may have the answer. It may have also been a GM error from day one, implying there are two designs like the alternator capacity, when there was really only one version ever produced.

RossMan

Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
The question seems to exist that there is no difference between the 1 or 2 hole versions. So I am looking for some type of description, diagram or picture of either to end the mystery that I cant figure out. The Roadie has been looking into it but if anyone else can shed some light on this topic any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks !
RossMan

LMMJ

Dec 4, 2011
RossMan said:
The question seems to exist that there is no difference between the 1 or 2 hole versions. So I am looking for some type of description, diagram or picture of either to end the mystery that I cant figure out. The Roadie has been looking into it but if anyone else can shed some light on this topic any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks !
RossMan

Their is no 2 hole front diff. That would require a 2 hole oil pan which does not exist

RossMan

Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
LMMJ said:
Their is no 2 hole front diff. That would require a 2 hole oil pan which does not exist

Thanks! All done. Installed and operational. 1 hole ... 2 holes... I never got a real reply that described the difference between the mounting hole question. I got the right assembly and it works. Thanks for the input.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online