Front bumper mounts/lower grill shield questions

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
I have 2 questions.
The brackets that attach the bumper to the body/fenders have broke off both sides of the front bumper. This is causing my front bumper to sag a little and my fogs shake when driving. It's kind of annoying to say the least.
What would you guys suggest to fix this issue? The Jb plastic weld stuff, Emblem glue, etc?
I need something that won't break right away in the cold, it tends to get a little nippy here in MN.

There is a shield that is behind the bumper in the lower grill. Mine is mostly gone. What's left shakes in the wind and I can feel it while driving. I have a shield out of a swb 4.2 TB. It looks like it is meant to funnel air through the ac condenser/ lower radiator area.
Is there a difference between the 4.2 and the 5.3 in regards to the radiator/ac condenser/lower grill area?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
1) Those corner mounts on the bumper are plastic welded in place, a buddy of mine had his snap off after an accident. We tried a couple different types of epoxy, and it would hold for a few months and then eventually break free again. YMMV

2) I don't think there should be any differences with the air deflectors between the 2 models, since it just redirects air when you drive.

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
1) that's what I was afraid of. If it wouldn't look so horrible I would just put screws through the outside but that would drive me nuts. I can't really think of any other way to fix it other than redoing it when It breaks free. To me it looks like that area is prone to flexing, vibration, and dirt. But I guess it's worth a shot.

2) I wasn't sure if the radiator/ac condenser/miscellaneous cooler lines were between the 4.2 and the 5.3. There is very little left of mine so I can't really compare it to the one I have or my wife's TB.
Thanks for the reply.

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
Thanks for the link. It doesn't look too bad actually. WAY better than what I was contemplating lol. Maybe a little redneck ingenuity might be better than repeatedly repairing this. Especially in the cold winter here.
Thanks again. I might have a few ideas now.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I had that problem. Took it to a body shop and they used a urethane (IIRC) glue. It only took about 15 minutes. They put some tape on to to hold everything in place so I could still drive it. After a twenty-four hour drying/hardening period, it's solid. Some times its worth going to the professionals.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I had mine done by BoricuaSS brother Josh about 5 or so years ago, probably using the same stuff as Wooluf...they're holding fast still.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
For those corner mounts (question 1), I had the drivers side break off within a few months of owning my Envoy. I first tried 3M Panel Bonding Adhesive and that worked for about 1.5 years...until I was parallel parking in a snowstorm one day and the front bumper tapped the frozen pile of snow in front of me. ~"CRACK"~

Once the weather warmed up a few months later, I removed the bumper, scuffed the area to be repaired with 80 grit sandpaper, then used a 2-part fiberglass resin & loose fibers to secure it. I made sure that I didn't mimic a snow plow anymore, and the fiberglass has held securely ever since. I've even removed the bumper a few times since the repair, and the corner mount is still holding tight. It's not a pretty repair, but it is completely hidden and very strong.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
@hockeyman I had a similar incident last year when I went to the bank. There was an snow/ice pile on my driver side and when I pulled out the parkin spot the bumper wanted to stay in the pill. So know I have Crack in the middle of the bumper not very noticeably but because of this my bumper is very unstable but it holds on. Lol. The side side tabs are in place and holding but are pretty worn-out aswell.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
I need to figure something similar as I bought a Denali bumper that's missing the side mounting tab. Was thinking of taking it off my current bumper but need something effective to stick it back on. From what I've read the regular 2 part epoxy will hold for a lil while but eventually let go. I might look into the above fiberglass method.

Daryl Krenzer

Dec 1, 2017
colorado
I had that problem. Took it to a body shop and they used a urethane (IIRC) glue. It only took about 15 minutes. They put some tape on to to hold everything in place so I could still drive it. After a twenty-four hour drying/hardening period, it's solid. Some times its worth going to the professionals.
How much did that cost you? And did you go to a body shop? TY

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
I used a windshield washer bottle repair kit on mine. I just used the two part epoxy or whatever it is that comes in the kit. Haven't had any problems. Of course I scuff up the plastic pretty good where the bumper and bracket meet.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There is a two part urethane bumper repair kit, similar to JB, but is flexible and used to repair the bumper itself like body filler. Scuff up the bumper and bracket to give it more bite and it should hold very well.

PS: I removed your other thread as a duplicate.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Of course, you could always get a steel bumper, and never have to worry about it cracking apart again. Just sayin'... :tongue:

Reactions: Redbeard and Matt

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I mentioned that in part b/c I'm looking for the same type of thing - and for the same type of $. :celebrate:

Camdo

May 16, 2015
I reattached my bumper fascia bracket with J-B Weld "PlasticWeld". My best guess is that the bumper fascia is made of ABS and the bracket is polypropylene. PlasticWeld specifically states it bonds these materials.

An xacto knife was used to trim the broken studs of flash so the bracket could be re-positioned its original setting. I roughed the two pieces with 80 grit sandpaper (do not use painter's "no clog" sandpaper as it leaves a Teflon like residue). A generous amount of adhesive was applied to both pieces and then lightly clamped. Cardboard was attached to the clamps to avoid marring the fascia painted surface. The clamps were tightened lightly so as not to crush the cardboard. I did not want to squeeze all the epoxy from the joint. PlasticWeld states it cures in an hour, but I waited 6 hours just to be safe. After removing the clamps, I tested the joint strength with my hand and immediately became confident that a solid solvent type bond had occurred.

I had no issue re-installing the fascia by pushing the bracket over the car body tee stud. The bumper fascia is good and solid. Cold winter weather, 0 degree Fahrenheit, has not bothered it.

DSC_0002.JPGDSC_0008.JPGDSC_0004.JPGDSC_0010.JPG

Camdo

May 16, 2015
I reattached my bumper fascia bracket with J-B Weld "PlasticWeld". My best guess is that the bumper fascia is made of ABS and the bracket is polypropylene. PlasticWeld specifically states it bonds these materials.

View attachment 82857

5 years have gone by since using JB Weld Plastic to reattach the bumper fascia mounting block. Bond has survived 5 New England winters in Boston area, and I have removed the fascia a few times to make transmission cooler replacements. Nice stuff.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Repaired 1 on mine today with JBWeld Fast Weld. Had to because 1 side holds the lamp on. Left it on about 2 hours and popped it into place . Held tight no problem.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online