front bumper fix?

06whiteenvoydenali

Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
whats up nation,
so recently some numbskull collided with my front bumper trying to park infront of me, they obv hit it hard enough that the plastic clips on the corners of the bumper broke. i don't want to buy a new bumper and was curious if anyone has a dyi fix for my problem.
thanks

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
06whiteenvoydenali said:
whats up nation,
so recently some numbskull collided with my front bumper trying to park infront of me, they obv hit it hard enough that the plastic clips on the corners of the bumper broke. i don't want to buy a new bumper and was curious if anyone has a dyi fix for my problem.
thanks
You mean the parts that connect where the bumper meets the fender and headlight? My friend had the same issue with his, post-accident and we used some JB weld to epoxy it back on. It's held up fine so far, just had to clamp the corner mount in place while the epoxy cured.

Reactions: Matt

jfkmk

Mar 7, 2013
Are you referring to the clips on the sides? I had one side come undone when the bumper was clipped by someone. Jb weld to the rescue. It's held now for almost 3 years.

Reactions: Matt

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
I used an epoxy that was specifically for plastic (don't remember what it was called). Lasted for two years until I pulled in too far into a snow bank and it popped apart again :redface:.

The brackets are originally plastic "welded" to four posts on the bumper cover. Mine broke at the joint (as opposed to breaking off the posts). This time around I pulled off the bumper and using an old Radioshack fire starter (soldering iron), I carefully melted the bracket back on to the four posts and all around the edges. Hit both sides for good measure. The plastic flows easily and doesn't burn. Just have to be very careful not to go through the bumper obviously. Took about 30 minutes and didn't really involve much prep or curing time. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Blckshdw

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
JB weld for the DIY fix. Mom's Voy had this issue a couple years back. I dropped it off to a buddy who owns a body shop and he used some body panel glue on it - better than new. That said, JB weld should do just as well and be cheaper unless you have a friend with some body panel glue.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I had a similar issue when the front came into contact with a snow mound. I used a two part fiberglass resin along with some fiberglass cloth to surround the broken tabs. Very strong repair now.

No matter what method you use, be sure to thoroughly clean the area(s) prior to applying resin/epoxy/...whatever. I used lacquer thinner, but you can use rubbing alcohol instead.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
they sell specific epoxy for that. plastic bumper repair, got it at orileys, $5 bucks i think. i used some on mine. just be sure to rough up the plastic parts to be joined together first. let cure overnight with a clamp on it

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Probably wont like this idea. But when I read ended someone broke some mounting points then cought it on snow backing up broke some more then gf accidently backed into it. Broke some more bumper hanging on with 2 bolts on bottom and a plastic clip thing driver side no idea how it didn't fall off

So about 4 self tapping screws in the right places bumper is on there solid ha can't really see them either

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online