Front Bumper Cover Help?

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Well thanks to my incident, I'm looking for a new bumper cover. Specifically I believe it's GM1000672 (front bumper cover, w/ fog light holes, w/ two-tone), though I need help. I was really REALLY hoping to find one that was already painted, for my 2-tone, w/ fog lamp holes. Nevermind, just found one they'll match whatever paint code you specify, CAPA-certified, nearly $300. That'd sap out about half my return but I guess things happen... :undecided:

Or I can settle for getting an unpainted one? Unpainted is like $73 for a CAPA-certified one on Rockauto, and probably $50(?) worth of silverstone metallic, but how hard would the job be to do paint myself? I honestly don't trust myself, never done anything like it before :rotfl:

And lastly, service manuals don't seem to have anything about removing the front bumper cover. Anyone got anything on that? I don't necessarily need pictures, just general instructions would be nice to expedite my process.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I suck at painting so I wouldn't be trying to paint anything myself lol. But that said, unless you have an air compressor and spray gun you might as well not bother. Rattle can will look like a rattle can job.

Removing the bumper cover isn't too bad. Remove the grille and headlights. Disconnect fog lights (or remove them, can be done now or after the cover is off). Remove the 4 push pins along the bottom center of the cover and along the top center area. Disconnect the lower corner stabilizers near the wheel wells (push pins again). Then the whole cover just pulls straight off. There is a guide/catch that snaps along a stud on each side near the top corner of the bumper cover. When you get the new one you'll see what I mean.

Reactions: cleanwaterguy

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
So you are looking for a thread or an article that will tell you how to remove it?

Let me google that for you should help you out. :biggrin:

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Thanks man, I wasn't sure if headlights and grille were part of the replace process.

Air compressor's on my to-get list but looks like it'll be held off by this project, rattle can's out of the question since I want it to match and not in a "kinda close, I guess?" way. Oh well, my current bumper cover before the incident was a little loose anyway, and the paint was coming off in the cowls around the recovery hooks and the lower air intake, so it'll hopefully look nice again!

Oh thanks, djthumper, check the top result http://gmtnation.com/f93/how-remove-reinstall-front-bumper-cover-2577/ this came up before the trailvoy version even :thumbsup: :wootwoot:

Apparently the headlights aren't actually necessary to remove, saves me a step. I've managed to replace even one of the side marker lamps without ever removing the grille (small and deft hands will do that for ya!) so grille removal is another new one for me, already know there's a write-up on that though, don't worry dj :raspberry:

I've got a hook-up, a fellow church member and possible future in-law who owns a smaller repair shop across town, perhaps he would have the equipment to do a proper paint job on a primed bumper, if so I'll go the cheap route, if not then I'm stimulating the economy a lot more I guess :crackup:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Oh, I knew what was at the top of the list before I posted it for you... I actually knew the article was on here but thought I would have a little fun with you. :raspberry:

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
On the bright side looks like this new bumper doesn't have license plate mounting holes pre-made, I have the front bracket. I may hang onto it just in case, but for now the "clean" front will be welcome.

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
Chevy Trailblazer 02 05 Bumper Cover Front w Fog Holes w 2Tone New | eBay

First hit. Probably find cheaper aftermarket close to Charleston with a little digging.

I had looked at that listing, it's tricky to tell if that's actually painted. A lot of "w/ 2 tone" just means the entire surface is smooth instead of just the top, with a "raw" bottom that's left unpainted like on an LS. If that's unpainted I can get it half the price on RockAuto, I'll send an email and confirm though.

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
I think I may have found one here K.C. Bumper - Front Bumper Cover for 2002-2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer w/two tone paint; w/fog lamps. OEM number 88943617, described as "painted with fogs," kinda strange because $141 seems preeeeetttyyyyy low to include fogs, unless they meant it has the mounting stuff set up. Then again it's a reconditioned, so maybe it all works out.

I might give them a call and ask about it, kinda curious how much their shipping would cost because it doesn't say probably until final checkout (requires me making a login, it's too late in the night to bother now :eek:)

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
I've been to their location, its an auto body part recycler. You get what you pay for. I'll swing by there and look at the bumper for you if you'd like.

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
redleg6 said:
I've been to their location, its an auto body part recycler. You get what you pay for. I'll swing by there and look at the bumper for you if you'd like.

That'd be great. I mainly want to know if it's painted like it says. I know it's "WYSIWYG" in dollar form, I imagine they sand down some of the bumpers listed as just primed, which would take away some measure of the stock thickness, but if it's in good condition and the price with shipping's right anything's better than one with a vertical crack separating one section by about 90% from the rest.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
Most any body shop could paint the bumper shell for you if you find an otherwise good one.

I too am looking for one, but not the 2-tone version. I have plain black w/fog lamps. This will be my third, unfortunately... Two different deer incidents and my wife and a guardrail incident on ice covered roads.

The foglamp versions have the built in holes that factory fogs bolt into, no metal brackets needed like the conversion from a non-fog lamp style.

Very easy install.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
I've got a stock impact bar and a stock 2-tone black bumper that's missing one of the "ear" hooks on the inside (you can take one off of your original one and super-glue it onto the inside of here). I'll let them go to anybody on here for $100 + shipping (around $120 on a pallet to VA), or pick up just south of Indy. It's off of an '02 or '03.

Mike

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
My 2-tone is solid silverstone, so my replacement would preferably also be. What does the "ear" hook on the inside do, just help connect it to the body?

If I had the extra moolah and I ever went off roading enough to warrant needing some real protection, I'd just buy one of your customs Bartonmd :rotfl:

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
glfredrick said:
Most any body shop could paint the bumper shell for you if you find an otherwise good one.

I too am looking for one, but not the 2-tone version. I have plain black w/fog lamps. This will be my third, unfortunately... Two different deer incidents and my wife and a guardrail incident on ice covered roads.

The foglamp versions have the built in holes that factory fogs bolt into, no metal brackets needed like the conversion from a non-fog lamp style.

Very easy install.

You'd be looking for part # GM1000639. The top is smooth to facilitate painting and the bottom is not, as it is left unpainted. Is that what you're looking for?

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Welp, got stuck on a damn snow bank so midnight is going to need a new front bumper cover this spring. Anybody know a place to get a painted one shipped? Ebay has great deals on primer painted ones, but i'd rather just buy it painted. Also, someone mentioned that the mounting brackets for the fogs are built right into the bumper cover, that right? If that's the case, i'll totally be adding fogs when i replace the cover.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
DDonnie said:
Welp, got stuck on a damn snow bank so midnight is going to need a new front bumper cover this spring. Anybody know a place to get a painted one shipped? Ebay has great deals on primer painted ones, but i'd rather just buy it painted. Also, someone mentioned that the mounting brackets for the fogs are built right into the bumper cover, that right? If that's the case, i'll totally be adding fogs when i replace the cover.

[EBAY]321098356712[/EBAY][EBAY]181260734866[/EBAY]

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
The pre-painted one is the one I was looking at too, sold by "onlinepartsbin" on eBay. I contacted them with some questions, they do indeed color-match, you send them your paint codes found in the RPO codes (and I think maybe on the bottom of the RPO sticker?) and call a dealer with your VIN to figure your trim code, they'll match it. And with the price, free shipping. I don't find it to be a bad deal since there's no body shops in my immediate area, just a couple tire shops a general mechanic shop and a Ford dealer.

Einst-Hawk

Jan 31, 2014
I had just replaced my front bumper cover and left fender on my TB.

This woman sideswiped me and my ins. didn't want to fix it. so they totaled my TB. They payed my out and I bought it back.
I found an unpainted bumper cover on ebay for $112. I also bought the fender $115 off ebay. Plus I had to buy a new left headlight $50, new headlight bracket $50, side mirror $50. I did not buy a new bumper support (big metal bar across the front) but I really should have. The support did not look damaged at all with the original bumper on, but when I got everything apart, it was apparent that it was mangled a bit. that made installing the new bumper a lot harder.

Anyway, I took my new fender and bumper to Macco. They matched up the paint and had it done in 2 days. $170. I thought it was a fair price. They did a good job too.

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Einst-Hawk said:
I had just replaced my front bumper cover and left fender on my TB.

This woman sideswiped me and my ins. didn't want to fix it. so they totaled my TB. They payed my out and I bought it back.
I found an unpainted bumper cover on ebay for $112. I also bought the fender $115 off ebay. Plus I had to buy a new left headlight $50, new headlight bracket $50, side mirror $50. I did not buy a new bumper support (big metal bar across the front) but I really should have. The support did not look damaged at all with the original bumper on, but when I got everything apart, it was apparent that it was mangled a bit. that made installing the new bumper a lot harder.

Anyway, I took my new fender and bumper to Macco. They matched up the paint and had it done in 2 days. $170. I thought it was a fair price. They did a good job too.

Not a bad deal. The one I'm looking at on eBay they will paint it to your color before shipping, but I am debating just getting an unpainted. I remembered there's a body shop a little north, I'll call or drop by and see if they do paint beyond touch-ups and fix-a-scratch, and go with an unpainted. That way I won't have to worry about the paint being marred in transit.

Einst-Hawk

Jan 31, 2014
IllogicTC,

You really should buy an unpainted one. Reason being, when I went to Macco, they looked up the paint code from my sticker in the glove box. Turns out there was 6 different shades of silver metallic that GM used under that one paint code.

They had these little 'squares' of the different shades and we end outside in the sun to see which one matched the best. Some of the shades were darker some were more metallic. And just one matched up the best. When I got new my fender and bumper on my TB I couldn't tell the difference between the old and new paint.

I would be very leary in just giving the paint code and having the bumper pre-painted without an eye to eye match. You may not get what you want.

Just my experience

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Yeah they don't require just paint code, they require you to call a dealer with your VIN and find the specific trim code for your exact vehicle, since the VIN can deduce not only what year it was but what batch of paint was used and all that. But again with the potential for damage... I'd rather have a $100 part broken in transit than a $300 (would prefer NO breakage though!)

Einst-Hawk

Jan 31, 2014
IllogicTC said:
Yeah they don't require just paint code, they require you to call a dealer with your VIN and find the specific trim code for your exact vehicle, since the VIN can deduce not only what year it was but what batch of paint was used and all that. But again with the potential for damage... I'd rather have a $100 part broken in transit than a $300 (would prefer NO breakage though!)

My thoughts exactly.

I did believe (up until my recent accident) that the VIN was the 'all-knowing birth certificate' of any car. Who would think otherwise, Right?
While my TB was at the GM dealership waiting for the 'fix it or not' from my insurance co., I picked up a copy of the estimate. The VIN was clearly printed and used to determine the listing of options and value of my TB.
I noticed some major issues that were wrong.

The VIN "official" listing had my TB with cloth seats, whereas I have leather. No listing at all for the sun/moon roof. No listing of Bose premium sound, my power and heated passenger seat wasn't listed either. And this was at a GM dealership.

I had all this corrected and it gave more value (and money) to me when my insurance co. paid me out.

As far as the paint code, I don't know if they had that right. But I wouldn't assume anything by going just off of a VIN

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Wait, so they printed this info off... and it was all wrong? Are you sure every digit was entered correctly? I mean heck, on the old site there was a "run your VIN" thread where people put their VINs in and a guy posted results on RPO codes and whatnot, and it showed correctly from what I saw (and this wasn't even a dealership deal!).

That and you can literally walk over to the vehicle and see this stuff. :rotfl:

Einst-Hawk

Jan 31, 2014
Yeah I was stunned beyond belief. The VIN was correct. Every letter.

I never did get an explanation from the dealership about the discrepancies. Maybe mine was the one in a million.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
Einst-Hawk said:
IllogicTC,

You really should buy an unpainted one. Reason being, when I went to Macco, they looked up the paint code from my sticker in the glove box. Turns out there was 6 different shades of silver metallic that GM used under that one paint code.

They had these little 'squares' of the different shades and we end outside in the sun to see which one matched the best. Some of the shades were darker some were more metallic. And just one matched up the best. When I got new my fender and bumper on my TB I couldn't tell the difference between the old and new paint.

I would be very leary in just giving the paint code and having the bumper pre-painted without an eye to eye match. You may not get what you want.

Just my experience

Body shops commonly adjust paint to match what the climate has done to the factory offering (for starters). They also know very well that the factory buys paint in batch quantities and that the colors can and do change slightly during vehicle production runs. Thus the chip system for a true match. They also use computer calibrated equipment to color match.

Macco has a weird reputation, but that is in large measure due to people who drive beaters in and just have them paint over whatever exists. They are able to do fine paint work and have the experience to do so if the prep work is done right.

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
glfredrick said:
Body shops commonly adjust paint to match what the climate has done to the factory offering (for starters). They also know very well that the factory buys paint in batch quantities and that the colors can and do change slightly during vehicle production runs. Thus the chip system for a true match. They also use computer calibrated equipment to color match.

Macco has a weird reputation, but that is in large measure due to people who drive beaters in and just have them paint over whatever exists. They are able to do fine paint work and have the experience to do so if the prep work is done right.

True. I don't think I have a Macco anywhere near me, but I'm sure I can find some sort of shop. May have to go to the city, oh well. But I'm gonna ask plenty of questions first, I want it to be perfect :rotfl:

Einst-Hawk

Jan 31, 2014
glfredrick said:

Point taken

IllogicTC, one other thing I forgot about. When I removed my original bumper, there was a plastic support in the middle along the top edge. It was about 3 to 3 1/2 feet long and was glued to it. The bumper I ordered did not have this. None of the ones I ever saw on ebay had it either. So I pried it off and spaced it as best I could where it was supposed to be letting it rest on the bumper support beam and put the bumper on top of it. I suppose it was there to give it added strength. I did not glue it because I was pressed for time.

I did later see that RockAuto had bumpers that had this support. And they were cheaper too.

http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/ge...w.orderkeystone.com/images/400/GM1000639f.jpg

Compared to:

GM1000672 Front Bumper Cover New Chevy Primered Top Raw Textured Bottom | eBay

Einst-Hawk

Jan 31, 2014
My bad . I just went back through this thread. It seems that the images posted by Blckshdw do have the support on them. I would definitely try to buy that kind.

IllogicTC

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Looks to me like one link is an all-smooth bumper, the other is the half-smooth (for painting), half-textured.

I still have to check out if anything else is missing. For example, part 4 in the diagram, bumper cover brace. I think mine may have disappeared on the right during the wreck. $12 or so, not a biggie. Interesting to note, items 2 and 3, bumper cover fastener and bumper cover retainer respectively. Plenty have reported theirs gone. I have I believe just one retainer missing, like $3. A fastener is like $0.81 if I am missing any. My air deflector retainer disappeared before the wreck on the right side. Now my air deflector itself is detached (part #10), it's $50 but I think mine might be reusable.

View attachment 32670

Attachments

• GN02010.jpg
    GN02010.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 3

Einst-Hawk

Jan 31, 2014
IllogicTC said:
Looks to me like one link is an all-smooth bumper, the other is the half-smooth (for painting), half-textured.

View attachment 20054

Yes, you are right. It was late and I was tired. I was just looking for examples of bumpers with and w/o the support.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove