Front Bumper cover attach

Ilikemy3s

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Did not see this elsewhere to figured to try here. I noticed the passenger side front bumper cover, near the wheel well did not look right as it was sticking out a bit. When i looked closer, I noticed the cover had seperated from this. This part was still attached to the grommet/clip on the frame. The bumper cover looks to have been pulled or popped off this. The 4 small nubs of where is was fastened to the cover are still there, so I have a reference on where it was attached, Do you think a copious amount of super glue or epoxy will allow me to reattach this to the cover so that I can reattached this to the frame?

Attachments

• IMG_6637.jpg
    IMG_6637.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 14

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, common failure. I once fixed mine with JB Weld but I think any epoxy would work. I wouldn't trust super glue to work.

Reactions: Matt and Ilikemy3s

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
i had used epoxy for plastic repairs on mine, lasted about 3 years and came apart again... haven't gotten around to fix it again yet.

LouisTB

Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
Did not see this elsewhere to figured to try here. I noticed the passenger side front bumper cover, near the wheel well did not look right as it was sticking out a bit. When i looked closer, I noticed the cover had seperated from this. This part was still attached to the grommet/clip on the frame. The bumper cover looks to have been pulled or popped off this. The 4 small nubs of where is was fastened to the cover are still there, so I have a reference on where it was attached, Do you think a copious amount of super glue or epoxy will allow me to reattach this to the cover so that I can reattached this to the frame?
I had something similar happen when I got in a small fender bender. Mine was still attached to the bumper luckily but only by a hair. I thought about getting a new bumper but then I'd have to get it painted. What worked for me were those metal putty sticks from advance auto. I forget exactly what it was called but it said it work on plastic. I bought 2 sticks and basically reattached it let it cure, then used enough to build a brace around it like a kiddie sandcastle. Looked like absolute crap but definitely did the trick and it's been holding ever since. Oh and if you get some on the front of the bumper, wiping red vinegar on it helped remove it since it's an expoxy.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I wonder if something more pliable like good ol' fashion contact cement would work on this?

sunliner

Mar 25, 2012
I used JB weld's Plastic Weld on mine. held for three years or so until my son absolutely,positively did not hit it on something.

Ilikemy3s

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Fixed : I opened up the mounting holes on bracket and cleaned up the nubs on the cover. spread the epoxy and help in place with a wood working clamp till it dried. Should have taken a pic or two. Snapped it in to place and all done.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.