Front Axle Seal, how to replace?

Integraoligist

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Having both my front HUBs changed under warranty at the dealer right now... and there was a small amount of oil leaking from the axle area so I had them check it out... they just called and said I need the SEAL on the front axle replaced, to the tune of $300 (not covered under warranty because it's "wear and tear"

Am I able replace this myself? And about how much is the seal?

Thanks all!

George

Dec 8, 2011
if your mech inclined you can do it, get a seal install tool dont want to blow a seal :biggrin:
seals are cheap about $15

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
Integraoligist said:
Having both my front HUBs changed under warranty at the dealer right now... and there was a small amount of oil leaking from the axle area so I had them check it out... they just called and said I need the SEAL on the front axle replaced, to the tune of $300 (not covered under warranty because it's "wear and tear"

Thanks all!

I did the driver's side seal of the differential a couple weeks ago. Seal is $15-17 at the dealer (only). Lots of previous reports of parts places offering a seal that doesn't fit. Part number is 19257296 (which replaced 12471618). Took me a little over 3 hours to do, but Tucson is a rust-free environment. Bought a $10 seal puller at Autozone which helped a lot. Also rented a seal install kit, which was basically a set of aluminum disks with a screw-on handle that you can beat on. You also need a 35mm (stock) or 36mm (aftermarket) socket to remove the axle nut. Also "rentable" at parts stores.

Regulator has a CV removal how-to :thumbsup: in the article section for the passenger side. Pretty much the same for the driver side. I did use allen wrenches to check the spacing between the CV tripot and the differential housing before I pulled it. Wanted to make sure I got it back in all the way. Mine was about 8mm.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I replaced mine too. It took a few hours, mostly because I accidentally got the pinion seal. Completely different seals. I used no special tools other than a hammer, screwdriver, and 2x4.

Integraoligist

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Anyone know of a good how-to or step by step process?
I'm not 100% on the terminology so pic's is what I go by.
I have to pickup the Envoy tomorrow from getting the hubs replaced, I'll get that seal from them as well... as long as it's $12-15, otherwise off to the next stealer.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
Integraoligist said:
Anyone know of a good how-to or step by step process?
I'm not 100% on the terminology so pic's is what I go by.
I have to pickup the Envoy tomorrow from getting the hubs replaced, I'll get that seal from them as well... as long as it's $12-15, otherwise off to the next stealer.

Wyle said:
Regulator has a CV removal how-to :thumbsup: in the article section for the passenger side.
and it comes with pics

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
Integraoligist said:

Thanks all!
You must have an aftermarket warranty. My front axle pinion shaft seal was replaced and I had GMPP. There was a recent thread where several comments suggested front axle seals were covered under warranty.

Integraoligist

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
AbsoluteZero said:
You must have an aftermarket warranty. My front axle pinion shaft seal was replaced and I had GMPP. There was a recent thread where several comments suggested front axle seals were covered under warranty.

Yeah, I bought the truck about 6 months ago at 109k miles on it and got a 2-year or 24k mile "CarOne" warranty, now it has 124k miles and apparently the seal is a "wear and tear" item so it's not covered which is total BS

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.