Front Axle leaking something, and a loud droning noise.

Integraoligist

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Hey all,
Over the past couple of weeks i've been noticing a droning noise the faster I go, has nothing to do with the engine RPM, the but speed of the truck.
It's progressively getting louder and louder.

I had the truck up on a lift when I had my resonator cut-off and a tip welded on, and while it was up on the lift I was looking under the truck and noticed some type of oil coming from the front axle. What could this be? And could it be causing the noise?

On another note, I was also trying to figure out where that annoying rattle at around 1500rpm is coming from... the only heatshield i found under the truck was on the gas tank, would it be coming from there?

Thanks all!

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
The droning noise is most likely a hub bearing on the way out. The classic test to confirm this and also determine which side is on the way out os to listen to the noise during turns; increased noise during a left turn usually mean the right side is on the way out, reduced noise during a left run usually means the left side is on the way out. Hub bearings aren't exactly cheap but they are very easy to replace.

Personally, I've had 2 bearing go out on me recently and the noise wasn't affected by turns. Try jacking the car up and feeling for play in each of the front wheels.

The CV axles could be leaking grease if the book has split or the clamp isn't holding the boot firmly anymore. When worn they would be more likely to produce a clicking noise than a drone.

Integraoligist

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
yes it must be the front drivers bearing, when we curve right on the highway the noise is much louder and goes faint when turning left.
Are the bearings part of a drive-train warranty? I've still got a few thousand miles yet on my regular warranty. Or no?

Any idea on what the rattling at 1500rpm could be?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I dk the answer too.that but I do know its not part of the drivetrain .... wheel hub bearings are about as easy as changing brake pads.

Integraoligist

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
They have the hubs at autozone for $105... my deductable is $100... might as well milk that warranty while I can, they can fix that leak too. Last time I asked to fix the rattle and cruise control... of course those 2 things weren't fixed... i even had them on a paper with a list of the issues I had, they dont give a damn... just get it out the door cause i'm not paying full price for the repair like everyone else. Jackwagons.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online