front axle came apart ?

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
okay , well this bright one decided to install a detroit axle 16pc suspension kit in NYC's first heatwave this weekend. while i had teh passenger side knuckle dropped away from the upper ball joint the axle shaft slid out of the boot ! it was the boot closer to the differential , not the hub. It didnt come out completely and i slid it back in. everything seems to spin good , but is the axle no good ? i thought there was a c- clip or e ring that held everything together , maybe im wrong. on a better note the car feels alot better , just have to find a competent shop to do the alignment now after the lca brackets were replaced

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The inner cv is a tripot style to be able to extend some when the vehicle suspension flexes. It can be pulled too far, as you found. If you got it back together without significant grease loss or dirt intrusion you should be ok.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You can pack it with new cv grease if you lost much, but I would still run it.

Reactions: xavierny25

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
thanks for the quick replys barely any grease came out , it was an OH SH!T moment and i pushed the knuckle back up , and grabbed a bungee to stop it from falling so far again

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.