Front and Rear Diffs

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Hey guys, I tried running some searches and found some good info but still had a few questions on some things.

I'm looking to change the fluid in the front and rear diffs on my 05 Z71 Tahoe. If I'm reading the Manuel correctly, the front needs 80W-90 fluid and the Rear takes 75W-90?

How much fluid will I need for each Diff F(?) R (3qt), am I looking at the fluids for each diff correctly and does it need any additives? I'm looking at going for Mobil 1 for now but might switch to RP as I've read alot of good things.

I have the GU6 and G80 RPO codes for my truck if that helps any.

Thanks!
-Mike

Attachments

• fluids.jpg
    fluids.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 21

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
All I see listed is 2.75 Qts. It does not say front and rear so at this point I would say that is the rear.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
I don't think it would be more than 3 qts. My truck is an 07 with the g80, but both the front and rear took a bit more than 3 qts. Since I already had a bit more than 1/2 qt in hand when I did the front, I just bought 2 bottles. When I did the rear I bought 3.

I still have about 1/2 qt of each one left over. Hope this helps.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
For my wifes 04 Tahoe (4x4 not AWD) it took 2 for the front. I got 3 for the rear but haven't had a chance to do it yet. You might want to peek at the rear diff cover to check for rust, apparently it's a common problem on our gen Tahoes.

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
djthumper said:
All I see listed is 2.75 Qts. It does not say front and rear so at this point I would say that is the rear.
Awesome

{tpc} said:
I don't think it would be more than 3 qts. My truck is an 07 with the g80, but both the front and rear took a bit more than 3 qts. Since I already had a bit more than 1/2 qt in hand when I did the front, I just bought 2 bottles. When I did the rear I bought 3.

I still have about 1/2 qt of each one left over. Hope this helps.
TY

neohio said:
This is perfect! TY

MAY03LT said:
For my wifes 04 Tahoe (4x4 not AWD) it took 2 for the front. I got 3 for the rear but haven't had a chance to do it yet. You might want to peek at the rear diff cover to check for rust, apparently it's a common problem on our gen Tahoes.
Thanks May! By the way, the how to vidoes you made of your wives Tahoe are super informative. I'm doing some of my 100k maintenance after them.

triz said:
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/VehicleLookupPage.aspx?FromIndex=1&url2=2005+CHEVROLET%20TRUCKS+TAHOE+T

Im typing from my tablet which I hate. Seems like it depends what ring gear size you have. Check the link.

Reactions: MAY03LT and Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online