French Trailblazer reborn

Jeantalus

Original poster
Jan 5, 2022
france
@TollKeeper if I'm correct the kit you linked is for an open diff ? I have a doubt about fitting for G80 equiped diff ....
For the half shafts bearing I'm sure the shaft are ok, the chineese bearing I removed have an outer race diam about 70,95mm whereas OEM are 71,2 that's why it was free in the tube, I'm gonna put OEM bearing with some PTFE based varnish in the scored and around the race , I know this product because I use it in aeronautics.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am not sure if there is a difference for the 2 spider gears you need open diff to a locker... Have not had to deal with that specific issue. @Mooseman might be able to answer the question. @gmcman dealt with helping another member in another thread, but no part numbers were given..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Online microfiches don't specify however they do list the same part number between the 4.2 and 5.3 so I would assume they are the same. However, they are like $300USD or $530CAD. Insane! And one site says they are backordered so may be unobtainable.

Best bet is a used set. I do have an 8.6 G80 carrier sitting in my garage I've had for years as a spare. I could pilfer the gears from it for you.

For the axle bearing and seal, I'm sure I can find a quality aftermarket like Timken to send along with the gears. The GM parts are overpriced.

Jeantalus

Original poster
Jan 5, 2022
france
@Mooseman don't split a spare diff for me, you may need it one day. If someone have swapped and have an 8" with spiders ok it would be better. For the bearing I think I can find good quality Timken right here in France.

Reactions: Mooseman

Jeantalus

Original poster
Jan 5, 2022
france
Decided to go ahead and disasemble the pumpkin to see if all other parts are serviceable and decide if this 8" worth a nex set of spider gears,

20230731_223401.jpg

Here is the sick one
20230731_223501.jpg

my question is, on the ride plates pack , they look shinny and mostly smooth:

20230731_223427.jpg

and on the left pack, side with slotted device under pignon to get pressure on plates, they look more rough

20230731_223415.jpg

So , anybody have an experience with those parts and could tell me if they're ok or not ?

Thanks community !!!!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Haven't heard of anybody rebuilding one of these. Here, we have the luxury of replacing the whole differential for cheap. Honestly, I didn't even know the G80 had clutch packs :redface:. If you replace the entire carrier (or pumpkin), then you'll need to check gear contact pattern for backlash and depth.

Ring and pinion look OK. Do you off-road a lot? I can't see why the clutch packs would wear out like that.

If you want, I could find a complete carrier for you but as you can imagine, the shipping cost will likely be outrageous. Another alternative would be to get the complete carrier and take it apart to take only the needed parts to ship.

Found this article and it lists the part numbers. Unfortunately, for the 8.0" rear, parts are no longer available from GM Canada but seems to be showing as available from the US

Parts needed are:
12479036: left clutch pack ($221)

12479037: right clutch pack ($89)

So you're looking at a minimum of $300USD + shipping.
The site may be misleading as a lot of times, they list a price but they are actually NLA, like in Canada. And that's not including the spider gears.

Jeantalus

Original poster
Jan 5, 2022
france
Thanks @Mooseman for the time you spend on my case.

I've already read the thread on ORTB about the G80 rebuild, I've spent hours searching about G80 parts.

The parts are available on rockauto, but the prices are insane !!!!

Screenshot_20230802_130440_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230802_130424_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230802_130543_Samsung Internet.jpg

Looking at the new clutch discs, I assume that mine are really worn, and I don't want to rebuild a diff with a cost exceeding 700€ - 800€ with shipping and customs dues.

Bet performances sell rebuilt 8" with G80 or POSI , 350USD + 163USD shipped to my door.
Maybe gonna consider it.

I've given a call to a french junkyard, they have a 4.2 TB with rear axle still on, I've told the guy to check the diff teeth, I'm now waiting for his quote.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online