Frankentireset

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
So my 03 TB is end of life, I've got too much to fix on it and we're shopping for something newer. In the meantime it's still my daily but limited in use to back and forth to the city (55 km usually on backroads) and bombing around said city. My current all seasons are pretty well toast (2 were going flat, steel is poking through on a third and 4th has a slow leak). I popped my original spare on one (a bf goodrich something or other) and found another spare with rim at a garage sale a couple weeks ago (Forterra), both are basically brand new, but slightly different tread pattern.

A few questions. I have them on the back right now, should I put them on the front for better handling? Or is it a crapshoot at this point?

Also I'm scoping out used tires to complete my set, seeing a bunch of 245 70 17 (mine are 245 65 17 stock), is it completely a terribad idea to grab a couple of those given the inch diameter difference? And how bad is it to have different tread patterns as far as handling and such? I should add one more thing that my shocks/struts are most certainly on their last legs so I'm already adjusting my driving behaviour for extra caution.

Thoughts?

My poor TB, just can't afford to put all the work into it. And I sure hate re-replacing things I've already done (fan clutch, most likely exhaust manifold, maybe even the CAT again). It will ultimately become a farm vehicle hence not wanting to put a brand new set of tires on.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Having different sized tires front and back will throw codes and probably disable your ABS. Will also be an issue if ever you need to put it in 4x4. If tires sizes are different side to side on the rear diff can also cause issues or damage to the G80 if you have one. I'd get the same sized tires all around even if they aren't the same brand.

Reactions: gmcman and PProph

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Personally I would put your two best tires of the same size on the back and get two brand new tires for the front. I know that goes against conventional thinking but steering control is important. In the fall before the snow flies (if you have snow that is) get two more new tires.

There are tire stores that sell what are known as "national" brands which are small tire companies that contract to have their tires made by the big tire companies, sort of like how some beers are made like Pabst (well, Pabst isn't really beer but that is another discussion 😀 ). Anyway these tires are a lot cheaper than the big brand names and are often just as good. Sometimes they aren't much more expensive than used. I've had "national" brand tires on a couple of Suburbans and we put them on my daughter's car a couple of years before she moved away. Never had a problem with any of them.

Reactions: PProph and Redbeard

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for the tips, I'll steer clear of the 70s and look for 2 more factory size. As for winter, I still have a good set of winters but I know the gravel I drive on will destroy that soft rubber in the heat so I don't want to use them in the nice weather.

Thanks for the replies!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
We have quite a few places around here that sell used sets of tires, most likely from wrecking yard vehicles, you must have some of these in your area too.
My son had a set put on his lease car before turning it in. I think he got 4 tires installed for $250 and didn't get whacked by the lease people.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR