Fram oil filters

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Many of us have seen the videos on YouTube about Fram oil filter construction, using cardboard for the filter media endcaps. (I'm not even going into the actual media construction with this post.)

I was in Wal-Mart over the weekend and I perused the oil and filter and of course most of their filters are Fram. The oil filter boxes had renderings of the filter internals. On the boxes for the Extra Guard and Tough Guard you could see some of the cardboard end cap. Only the Extended Guard had what appeared to be metal end caps.

Now I didn't pull any filters apart to verify the internals but if you insist on Fram, the Extended Guard is probably your best choice. I know I've recommend at least their Tough Guard in the past but it looks like I was suffering from faulty info.

I also happened to look at one of their air filters for TB/Envoy and it looked well made.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think it is simply safer to just avoid Fram oil filter entirely.

I don't see an issue with any of their air filters however. Those are a little harder to get wrong.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
Yep, cardboard end caps on the filters. What garbage! Glad the local lube rack quit carrying Pennzoil. Nothing against the oil, but their filters were made by Fram...:frown:

I destroyed a Ford 3.8L V6 by revving an engine with a Fram filter on it, the end cap collapsed and got sucked in :hissyfit:

plaen

Dec 4, 2011
Mark20 said:
Many of us have seen the videos on YouTube about Fram oil filter construction, using cardboard for the filter media endcaps. (I'm not even going into the actual media construction with this post.)

I was in Wal-Mart over the weekend and I perused the oil and filter and of course most of their filters are Fram. The oil filter boxes had renderings of the filter internals. On the boxes for the Extra Guard and Tough Guard you could see some of the cardboard end cap. Only the Extended Guard had what appeared to be metal end caps.

My local Walmart started carrying ac delcos and motorcraft ones. I didn't end up pulling one out as they only had 2-3 of each and none for the tb. Interesting to see other stuff besides all the orange when walking down that aisle.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
the frams are also notorious for having a bad leak down valve, the way our filter sits with the mouth up is not as big of a deal. With cars with the filter horizontal much of the oil can leak out when parked and then when you start the engine the filter has to fill back up which means you are running longer un-lubricated.

I usually go with the full synthetic on sale at Advance Auto and usually they have the Purolator Pure One filter in that kit.

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
Just had a serious issue for the second time in 2 months with a FRAM oil filter on my 4.2 2004 envoy. They are horrible withstanding pressure. both of mine literally imploded on sides and exploded at the ends. cost me money for oil and almost the engine because it happened on the highway. painted the whole underside with oil. KEEP AWAY FROM FRAM. Mobile1 > Fram. just my :twocents:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Just had a serious issue for the second time in 2 months with a FRAM oil filter on my 4.2 2004 envoy. They are horrible withstanding pressure. both of mine literally imploded on sides and exploded at the ends. cost me money for oil and almost the engine because it happened on the highway. painted the whole underside with oil. KEEP AWAY FROM FRAM. Mobile1 > Fram. just my :twocents:

pics_or_it_didnt_happen_retro_poste.jpg

Also...why did you even buy another after the first failure?

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Also...why did you even buy another after the first failure?

I thought maybe it was my fault some how. Like I missed a gasket stuck on the threading or something but I did it all right. Put oil on gasket oil on threading etc...
this is not my picture this is from someone else it has happened to but this is EXACTLY what both looked like. (i have a smart phone and I will not touch the screen with oily hands haha that will f it up forever so I never took pictures) View attachment 18795

Attachments

• fram.jpg
    fram.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 83

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
I thought maybe it was my fault some how

If you look at the Youtube video above on Frams, they use the thinnest gauge metal out of all the manufacturers.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
K&N Gold Or We Have A guy that runs sales on Royal Purple those are my choices. I have AC delco on right now from the stealership got my last freebie, Time for some AMS it will be my first change on the SS..Pumped! lol anyway Fram is nonsense

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
K&N Gold Or We Have A guy that runs sales on Royal Purple those are my choices.

:yes: Thats what I run is a K&N Gold filter, and Royal purple 5w-30. Still had a purple tint to it when I did my last change.

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Saw this before and ran across it again this evening. Comparison of the internals of a number of filters. A bit dated since designs have changed over the years. Comparison of filters

(I currently have a WIX oil filter on the Envoy and an ACDelco on the Silverado.)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online