Ford F-150 Lightning

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I believe we all have atleast heard some news on the new Ford F-150 Lightning. Thoughts??

I have to say I was actually impressed with it honestly!! Now have to wait and see what GM will come up with. I think they need to get the SUVs electrified with some crazy long ranges to generate interest considering everyone is upping each other in the EV game nowadays. I would like to experience a body on frame EV. Dont think I would buy one just yet, but would definetly like to see what that would turn out like

The video was actually quite good IMO :2thumbsup:

2022 Ford® F-150 Lightning Electric Truck |All Electric and All F-150

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
OK, I'll bite. I actually am impressed. Things I liked:
- The ability to power the house with it and use the power for other stuff
- The Frunk
- It looks like a truck
- Can tow a trailer

What I didn't like:
- Standard 230 mile range with an optional 300 mile larger battery. Why not just throw in the larger battery standard? You always need extra range.
- Range specified only unloaded. Nothing about range while hauling or towing. What about for winter use and A/C in summer?
- It's a Ferd

I realize that it's just in prototype phase right now and likely this stuff will be addressed when some get out there for reviews and trials. It's also taboo to buy a first year anything, especially with all the new tech that's in this thing. Let the early adopters be the guinea pigs.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Agreed. First gen is a no no for anything, especially something like this. That said agree with all these points
- The ability to power the house with it and use the power for other stuff
- The Frunk
- It looks like a truck
- Can tow a trailer
The most important being the fact that other than the front lightbar it looks like a normal F150. If I was to ever buy an EV it should look like a normal vehicle if that makes sense. The house power thing looks really cool, imagine a nice retreat in the wilderness with a cabin which is being powered by your truck.

They didnt give too muh of the interior, but they have this glovebox which turns into a full flat workspace when folded out, but the shifter has to "disappear" for that to happen. I think GM could've capitalised on their button gear selector and have that in the trucks.

I dont know why but I keep imagining the new Tahoe, Yukon electric versions. Huge SUVs rolling around with out making a sound!

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
GM did have hybrids of the full size for a while but I guess lagging sales killed them. All electrics would be the way forward though.

One question though, can they be lifted? :biggrin:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just a funny thought here, instead of rolling coal or a loud exhaust, what mods would rednecks do to these things? Hit a button and sparks come shooting out from under the truck, lifted with some monster gumbo tires, a loud speaker system that would thunder rumble, an anti theft system that would tazer you if you touch it.
:dielaugh:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I watched the reveal live on YT last week. Very glitzy presentation. :yaay: Was going to start a thread on it, myself.

My 'likes' are very similar to Mooseman's... and I'll add that Ford did a nice job with the app / utility features. Holistic, even. Credit to them for thinking that out, as it helps sell the truck. Rated for 10K towing capability. And a starting price *under* $40,000 USD, with std 4WD. That's big. Their project / design team did a good job, IMO.

My 'concerns' center around one big thing - range and time to recharge (TtC; TtR ... I'm making up a new acronym, here... LOL)

The 230 miles of range is unladen. So figure maybe you and a passenger or two, or some lumber in the bed, maybe a few 50lb bags of something or other. But fill that bed, or hook up a trailer of significant weight behind it, and that 230 miles is probably going to be 150mi or so (and that's likely being generous, TBH). Now you have to stop and charge the truck -- which isn't a 5min fuel stop. So, if the TtR is => expected time spent driving... I don't see this as an alternative to ICE-based pickups, for towing. IOW, it'll take longer to charge it, than you'll spend driving out that charge.

Again, I'm thinking in terms of long-distance towing. If your campsites are less than 2hrs away, then you might (?) be OK.

Re: Lifting. Keep in mind that this has motors attached to the wheel / axle. That might affect ability to put a lift on the thing (and I'll make the obvious (?) joke about that keeping a certain buyer segment out of this truck).

And, finally... GM does have a competing vehicle platform with their new e-Hummer (or whatever it's called). Yes, it's technically an SUV, but it can tow. And it doesn't take much foresight to imagine a bed in place of the rear passenger / cargo area. The question will be whether GM comes out with a pickup-based version of the e-Hummer first, or if they take the plunge and do an e-Silverado.

Oh... the worktable / shifter mechanism isn't new -- Ford has been promoting / demoing it for awhile (although I don't know if it's actually available *in* the F-series, currently, although I'd expect the '22 redesign will have it available). Really slick -- until the mechanism(s) that raises / lowers the shifter gets locked in the wrong position, and immobilizes the truck. Hopefully, they thought of some sort of override. Probably a matter of time until they put the transmission controls on the dash or center stack, with the button arrangement that so many vehicles are going to, now (although mostly console-based).

TL; DR -- A nice first effort; early adopters will probably flock to it. Affordable base pricing. More range / fast-charge capability needed to truly supplant the current ICE-based models, for HD usage.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I reead, well saw an extended review of the truck and they stated that the upper trims which had 300 miles range was not the unladen range but with some amount of cargo I believe 100 pounds. The unladen range at 80% charge was around 420 something, so maybe they are guessing an estimated range of 460 miles. This I think was a brilliant move by Ford to underpromise and over deliver in a way.

Now you have to stop and charge the truck -- which isn't a 5min fuel stop. So, if the TtR is => expected time spent driving... I don't see this as an alternative to ICE-based pickups,

This is what will throw a lot of people off!

Another thing I believe that most of the buyers will just look at it as an alternative to a Tesla and purchase it solely as an EV. I mean I am pretty sure most truck owners rarely tow or haul stuff more than groceries, speaking of the general demographic and that part it sells perfectly. I believe they have undercut the competition, purely as an EV.

Also Fords dealership network is also something that will get people to go for this rather than a Tesla or if and when a Rivian Truck is announced

Re: Lifting. Keep in mind that this has motors attached to the wheel / axle. That might affect ability to put a lift on the thing (and I'll make the obvious (?) joke about that keeping a certain buyer segment out of this truck)

Thats actually a good point and I did not consider that before!

Oh... the worktable / shifter mechanism isn't new -- Ford has been promoting / demoing it for awhile (although I don't know if it's actually available *in* the F-series, currently, although I'd expect the '22 redesign will have it available). Really slick -- until the mechanism(s) that raises / lowers the shifter gets locked in the wrong position, and immobilizes the truck. Hopefully, they thought of some sort of override.

Yeah that shifter will be available in this F - 150.

Probably a matter of time until they put the transmission controls on the dash or center stack, with the button arrangement that so many vehicles are going to, now (although mostly console-based).

Slightly off-topic but what has the general reaction been to the new gen GMC and Chevys with the button arrangement shifters. I mean why fix something that wasn't broken = Column Shifters!! They don't take up the centre console and if they do break down its a simple cable

The Hummer I believe has a pickup version but the bed isn't really full size if I recall. However that albeit a gorgeous and amazing package seems to be targetting a niche IMO. I think going forward GM actually has an advantage here with their Duramax engines.

I am guessing for those not that bothered with towing or heavy duty tasks can just opt for an electric Silverado or Sierra ( The new Silverado design seems a tad too much for me ) and for people who need them for extensive towing etc can opt for the Duramax, which to me didnt make sense in the latest Yukon Denali TBH!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I didn't even know about that Yukon diesel. That would certainly be worth a look for towing although it's "only" rated for 8400 lbs, which is no different than the gassers. The chassis weight is the limiting factor. There is a Tahoe/Suburban version as well but for some reason, when I optioned them pretty equally, the GMC wound up being cheaper?

I think for an e-truck for towing, there might need to have a Volt-like system that would allow you to run only electric when just driving around but when towing and running low on juice that a generator would kick in and also allow you to run it to recharge when off the grid.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I believe the main advantage of the diesel from my perspective is the added mileage over the gas ones. I'm pretty sure they can have better towing capacity models (bigger engines) than gas ones with the same mileage if that makes sense and so I think they will probably have diesel models for those requiring heavy duty tasks and the electric models will be for the rest

Towing side I'm thinking of trailers with built in batteries for extending range. The trailers can also have Motors to ease the load required from the truck itself

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Towing side I'm thinking of trailers with built in batteries for extending range. The trailers can also have Motors to ease the load required from the truck itself
Now there's an idea! Would need a system of sorts to coordinate with the tow vehicle for acceleration and cruising. Once at destination, plug in to recharge the batteries or have solar panels. A lot of trailers have lithium batteries and solar nowadays. The cost will be the prohibitive factor but if it saves on gas, it may be worth it.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, if you do buy one of these, you can't sell it!

I think they're just trying to prevent scalping but going about it the wrong way. Pretty sure it's illegal to do this. I mean like, what if circumstances change and you can't make the payments?

• Wow
Reactions: azswiss

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, this proves that towing with it will absolutely suck!

And the Ferd couldn't even do Super Cruise like the Denali could while towing.

Wish they would have used the LM2. I had flashbacks to when I was towing with my '08 Avalanche, which had the 6.0L and 4.10 gears along with the 4L70E. Same 6 MPG mileage! Holy crap. They haven't been able to improve it? Glad I have the LM2! I was recently towing our 6500# RV and was averaging between 14-16MPG. Towed it like a dream.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online