For GM Vortec 4200 Engine Builders: The WISECO 93MM Bore Tapered Piston Rings Compressor is THE Tool of Choice

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you are Building ANY style of the GM Atlas Vortec 4, 5 or 6 Cylinder In-Line Aluminum Engines... You will save yourself ONE HUGE PITA by avoiding the use of Standard Spring Steel-Hex Wrench Clamped or Ratcheting Pliers Style Piston Ring Compressors and opt instead to get a Wiseco 93mm One Piece Tapered Special Tool for this Purpose.

At around $38.00 with Free S&H one might think that its TOO Much Money to spend on such a Basic Tool. But trust me. If this is your First Go at Re-Building ANY Engine… You will LOSE YOUR MIND if you either Damage the Engine Block Cylinders, Fracture or Snap the New Compression Rings or wind up Busting out the Lands or Bashing Holes into the Tops of the Pistons while trying to Install them even slightly akimbo at all with using any other Gear.

To avoid suffering with any of these maladies, the Wiseco 93mm Piston Rings Compressor with its Perfect Taper WILL make this critical phase of your Engine Build… an Absolute BREEZE!

Wiseco RCS09300 93mm Tapered Piston Ring Compressor Sleeve for Engine Assembly:

WISECO93MMPISTONRINGSCOMPRESSOR1.jpgGMATLASVORTEC4200ENGINESPECS.jpgWISECO93MMPISTONRINGSCOMPRESSOR.jpgMAHLERINGBIBLE.jpgMAHLEPISTONSGM42LENGINE1.jpg

But trying to locate this Specific Style of Piston Ring Compressor in the Correct Dimensions and at a decent Price will likewise Drive You MAD when realizing that You’ll need to find one that Matches the 93mm Cylinder Bores on ALL styles of the 4,5 and 6 Cylinder GM Atlas Vortec In-line Motors EXACTLY.

However... Right Now...eBay is carrying this Wiseco Tool:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338077216&icep_item=153370809089

Take a few minutes to View and Listen to the Wisdom of others who know precisely what it means to try and get through the Engine Building Pistons-Rings Installation Procedures HASSLE FREE during regular, often routine work, and if you are Very Clever… You’ll be KEEN towards their Sage Advice!

...and follow along with this British Instructor showing the Ring Installation Procedures along with using a similar Taper-Specific Inside Diameter Piston and Rings Insertion Tool:

Last edited:

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Have you bought and used this tool MRRSM?

Your post looks like a lot of cut/paste, re-post and re-link.

It's format makes me wonder if you've used it or just like the look of it. I'd give it a second look if you've actually bought and used it, some of your inventions are great (the pre-oiler was epic)

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
There Once was a Jealous Mechanic
Who’s Envy Brought On Such a Panic
Barking, “I SEEK THE TRUTH...”
But He Acted Uncouth
Proving his ‘Lack of Proof’ ...was Organic.

MRRSM

WISECO93MMRINGCOMPRESSOR1.jpgWISECO93MMRINGCOMPRESSOR2.jpgWISECO93MMRINGCOMPRESSOR3.jpgWISECO93MMRINGCOMPRESSOR4.jpgWISECO93MMRINGCOMPRESSOR5.jpgWISECO93MMRINGCOMPRESSOR6.jpg

'Nuff Said...

Reactions: Redbeard and JayArr

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Cool!

I'll check them out.

OK... I'm back...

I watched the three videos, the first guy is just a talking pair of hands, no demonstration.

The second guy spent the first 5 1/2 minutes trashing every other tool. Honestly... who told him the way to sell a new tool was to disrespect the tool a mechanic already owned and belittle it as garbage? You can tell he's got no marketing skills. If anyone wants to just hear about the new wiseco tool without having to listen to a guy trash what they already own start at about 5:37. I found him insulting and condescending, maybe that's why he's only got 59 followers.

The last video was great! It was an actual demonstration of the new taper tool versus the old school band clamp (which looked exactly like the Lisle one I've been using for the last 25 years.) It showed that they both work, it didn't disrespect the tool I own, it just pitched the new tool as better and easier to use.

If you don't already own a piston tool I would completely agree that the Wiseco is the one to buy. Unfortunately as a Canadian the shipping isn't free, it's an extra $28.90 so it becomes a $67USD tool. (You guys in the states are so lucky when it comes to tool prices sometimes.) I'll keep using my Lisle band clamp but I would encourage anyone who has to buy this tool for the first time to pick the Wiseco, it appears superior.

JayArr

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Apology... Accepted... :>)

Reactions: Redbeard and JayArr

Forum Statistics