Folding mirror

Mott

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Kokomo, IN
I have a 2012 Avalanche that I purchased used. My driver's side mirror does not fold completely to the body. The passenger side mirror folds right up to the side of the body. I took both of the mirrors apart to put the brass gear mod in the drive. They work much smoother. I can't find any binding in the drive. Does anyone else have this issue?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My 08 Av's driver side won't move at all but can hear the motor whine. Passenger side works fine. I have no real interest in fixing it as I will eventually replace them with tow mirrors.

Mott

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Kokomo, IN
The passenger mirror quit on mine. That neccesatated the brass gear upgrade. I decided to change both of the gears and find out if there was a mechanical problem with the driver's mirror. All looks good inside the housing.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds interesting this brass gear mod. Could you post some info in that? Other people may be interested in this.

Mott

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Kokomo, IN
The company is called gruven. Yhe sell the brass gear to replace the plastic gear in the mirror drive. YouTube "avalanche mirrors wont fold in ". They give a whole tutorial on how to replace the drive. They warn that you need to order the drive motor with the gear as it could damage the BCM if you don't. I purchased the gear only so I had to epoxy it to the shaft. The mirrors run much smoother and faster.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.