Fog lights stay on after turning off.

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
So I've been running a set of LEDs in my fogs for the past year or so. A while back when I had my fuel pump fiasco my fogs stayed turned on no matter if the key was in, started the truck or off and armed with the factory fob. At the time I just pulled the fuse and kept them off that way. Know I want to look into this further since I like my 6 hi mod and just pulled it out because of the fog light situation.

I haven't tried just putting in regular 880 bulbs in there just yet but will to see if in fact it just might be the LEDs are fubar.

I did try disconnecting them(leds) and putting the fuse back in and can hear the relay kick on, so it may be something else.

I did try swapping relays with the same results.

Question: Is it possible that a piece of wire from the 6 hi mode may of fell into the relay slot and crossed the circuit to make it stay on all the time?

If anyone has the schematics and can point me to what I should be testing that would be great.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here you go:

Attachments

• 2008 Envoy Fog Schems.pdf
    145.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: xavierny25

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
It kinda sounds like your diode may be connected to the coil of the fog relay, and is backwards? So whenever the relay sees power (always), the coil is getting grounded through the diode to the high beam relay instead of just through the BCM, and activates.

Maverick

Oct 9, 2012
Do you have any DRL Killer/Quad Lights mods etc? or is the headlight system entirely stock other than the bulbs?

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Do you have any DRL Killer/Quad Lights mods etc? or is the headlight system entirely stock other than the bulbs?
Yes I have the DRL Killer cap mod in the rear bcm. I removed the 6 Hi mod in the front fuse box when the fogs started staying on. Lows and highs have always and are still working normally.

Maverick

Oct 9, 2012
Just like you mention in your first post! HA I really need to stop reading forums when I cant focus all my attention to it! Sorry about that.

If you've removed all the 6Hi wiring in the front box I can only imagine there may be an issue somewhere in the DRL mod (which you didnt originally mention).... Fogs and headlights are separate circuits (for the TB anyway imagine the Voy is the same), they are only tied together by either modding the relays together in the front box, or if you mistakenly took a circuit in the rear box and tapped it to the BCM control for the fog relay circuit.

Id start by rechecking your DRL Kill mod in the rear, and confirm all your connections match what should have been done in the guide.

Last edited:

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I switched to regular 880 bulbs in the fogs with the same results. Once I put the fuse or relay back in they just come right on with no key in the ignition and key fob locked. I did observe that the passenger side is a little dimmer then the driver side.

It could be possible that I fudged up when I converted to LEDs in my light control switch. I'll have to pick a used one up at a yard tomorrow. I pulled it out to see if the fogs would go off with it disconnected and it did. Once I get the replacement and if that doesn't solve it I'll go ahead and start tracing wires and see what's feeding them to come on.

I figure if I undo everything I did prior to this all happening I could possibly find out what I might of done wrong or what went wrong. We shall see....

Fogs and headlights are separate circuits (for the TB anyway imagine the Voy is the same), they are only tied together by either modding the relays together in the front box, or if you mistakenly took a circuit in the rear box and tapped it to the BCM control for the fog relay circuit.
I assumed that the drl circuit that is tapped for killer only affects the head lights and not the fogs at all. I guess I could be wrong, I'll go ahead and remove my tap and see what happens then.

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
We all hate unresolved threads on here, so I'm going to knock the cob webs off this one and continue to try and solve this one.
I uploaded a video to show you guys what's been going on and my thoughts on it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah man, that's a head scratcher. I know with mine, if I hit the fog button, when everything is off, it turns on the parking lights, and interior back lighting. Opposite of what yours is doing. You said you removed the 6 hi mod right? Reverted to a completely stock setup in your fuse block?

xavierny25

Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
You said you removed the 6 hi mod right? Reverted to a completely stock setup in your fuse block?

I sure did, I even removed my hids and the cap mod. So its completely stock except the flasher module for my side marker LEDs which I'm sure has nothing to do with this since that all working fine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online