FOG lights are yellowing

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
I just noticed today that my fog light housings are turning yellow. Is it from Sun damage or the HIDs? I dont mind it, and it doesnt effect anything so im going to leave it for now. But in the future i will be able to change the housing with either an OEM or aftermarket housings right?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
kjkim93 said:
I just noticed today that my fog light housings are turning yellow. Is it from Sun damage or the HIDs? I dont mind it, and it doesnt effect anything so im going to leave it for now. But in the future i will be able to change the housing with either an OEM or aftermarket housings right?

If you have 3k HID's then it will start to tint the housing yellowish color. I have noticed that with many other cars that put those really yellow ones. The sun wouldn't do anything like that or else your headlights would be yellow also

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
If you have 3k HID's then it will start to tint the housing yellowish color. I have noticed that with many other cars that put those really yellow ones. The sun wouldn't do anything like that or else your headlights would be yellow also

I have 5k 35k in the fogs. Its just a slight yellow

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
kjkim93 said:
I have 5k 35k in the fogs. Its just a slight yellow

Yeah the 3500k HID's will do that. I have noticed cars do that after sometime so I think its normal for the HID's to do that. I do not know why it does but the high intensity of the color is maybe why. But the 3500k should be pure yellow not a slight yellow? Like this right?

Picture348.jpg

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I would think rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover would help remove the coloring. It helped me when my clear coat on VHT headlights turned my headlight housings blue.

I would pour a little in the housing and swish it around for a minute or two then rinse well with cool water and let dry.

I had to do that with my reverse bumper lights...turned out nice and clean

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
My bad. Mine are 5000k White. NOt 3500k lol. It slightly yellow and its from the inside .

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
kjkim93 said:
My bad. Mine are 5000k White. NOt 3500k lol. It slightly yellow and its from the inside .

Oh hmmm 5k is pretty much pure white so I don't know why your getting a yellowish tint to the light. That can be from time and discoloring. Kind of how like some older cars will get foggy on the lens, I think yours did that and picked up some dirt or something and go that yellowish color or something

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Oh hmmm 5k is pretty much pure white so I don't know why your getting a yellowish tint to the light. That can be from time and discoloring. Kind of how like some older cars will get foggy on the lens, I think yours did that and picked up some dirt or something and go that yellowish color or something

The yellowing is probably from water. I have one reverse light in the rear bumper that holds water due to the seal being bad, and it's yellow. The rubbing alcohol worked wonders to clean it out, but you need to make sure it is completely and 100% dry before putting it back in.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
The yellowing is probably from water. I have one reverse light in the rear bumper that holds water due to the seal being bad, and it's yellow. The rubbing alcohol worked wonders to clean it out, but you need to make sure it is completely and 100% dry before putting it back in.

Yeah that makes sense!! If it have a bad seal then I would replace it personally because it will give problems in the long run

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Thanks guys :smile: i can always depend on you. Going to wait for the warmer weather and when there is no rain or water. And ill try it out.:smile::thumbsup:

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
HID bulbs put out a lot of UV rays.

Good quality bulbs have a quartz coat on them to protect your plastic lens and reflectors from these uv-rays.

Cheap HID-kits dont have this protective coating and will make your plastic go yellowish over time, its like it been in extreme sunlight.

This is most probably your problem, especially if it is gradually getting worse.
:twocents:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online