Fog light DRL

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Alright guys, I think I have figured out a really simple way to convert to fog light drl. Just wanting some opinions of the guys who know more about the electrical circuit than me.

First things first, we wire in a capacitor on the headlight wire from the bcm.

Next we will use a 5 pin relay to do the drl disable. Wire it in just like the diagram. But keeping the capacitor on the headlight wire before the relay.

Trailblazer DRL Killer.jpg

Then we will splice into the fog light wire and run that to pin 87a of the relay.

So basically we are sending the drl signal that should be full power because of the capacitor to the fog lights during the day while the drl signal is active. And when it gets dark the fog lights shut off and the headlight come on via the auto function of the system.
Also while having fog light drl, you still have night time perimeter illumination up front via the fogs.

My only question I guess is will this hurt the fog light relay being it's not a solid state relay? I was thinking that since the capacitor is inline and providing the power as the drl is constantly shutting off and on, that the mechanical relay for the fogs should be fine.

I have tested on my 03 and everything works as planned, but just wanting insight on the relay condition before running it full time..

Reactions: Harpo and Sib

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I don't see it being an issue. And it's better than what I came up with.

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
I don't see it being an issue. And it's better than what I came up with.
Thanks man, ive been brainstorming it for a while now, and just found a 5 pin relay today so figured I would try it. Next step will be figuring out of I can do a front park drl now that the cap is installed

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Next step will be figuring out of I can do a front park drl now that the cap is installed

There's a write up on SSOwners for that, if you can find it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah it's fine, the cap gets rid of the oscillating signal, so it would be just like turning on/off the fogs with the button under normal usage.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online