FNG

Spectre

Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Howdy, Just joined this morning.

I'm glad I've found you guys...It wasn't easy. Google search doesn't really point you towards this site. I found you after joining the "other" guys and seeing this one mentioned. (I was referred there by some guys on a 94-96 Impala SS forum, who used the term "limp----s" to describe them)

I'd like to give you guys an unbiased, "noob" opinion of the difference between the community you have started versus "the other".

I've never posted over there, mostly because I have had lots of cars and been a paying member on numerous forums. I spent some time browsing/searching over there, and I found many of the folks very condescending and patronizing towards noobs. Many questions are answered with "read your manual" and "do a search". and/or You posted in the wrong section. And many questions never receive any response at all. If they really are profit conscious, I can promise you they are losing money from potential paying/donating members. I won't contribute.

Why would anyone join or post in a forum if no one will answer an honest question? Why feel it's necessary to humiliate someone because you may know a little bit about a car they aren't familiar with?
Small people with an overinflated sense of their own worth. Sad. They do have some very useful articles and "how to's", but they appear to have been written by a lot of people who are "no longer with us". Hmmm, interesting.

I read a letter here from "Voymom" that pretty much summed up their attitude. If you look in the "introductions" sections of both forums, no one responds when new guys bother to introduce themselves there. That speaks volumes about the type of community they have. Professionalism, courtesy and helpfulness versus pettiness on full display. I hate a car snob.

Anyway, I thought you guys might be interested in hearing the opinion of car guy who is new to Trailblazer and both forums, and who wasn't around for all of the drama. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to learning from you all.

Thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the REAL community that's not driven by profit or advertising, run by the enthusiasts for the enthusiasts.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Howdy
unfortunately the impala forum is owned by the same company. Seems to not be that big a deal over there. (I have a 96 i'm giving an ls swap)
anyway, anyone still on that site isn't going to be much help to you.

Spectre

Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
jimmyjam said:
Howdy
unfortunately the impala forum is owned by the same company. Seems to not be that big a deal over there. (I have a 96 i'm giving an ls swap)
anyway, anyone still on that site isn't going to be much help to you.

Yeah, I don't post much on the SS forum either, for pretty much the same reasons. There is at least one guy there with a pathological hate for newbies. Weird. The LS swap should be vicious.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Welcome :tiphat:

I'm told that the guys in the white lab coats are our friends :smile: Better than the reapers that were wandering the other place :eek:

Why am I still in this straightjacket?!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome from one of the ringleaders that Vertical Scope HATES. They own the technical archives that attracts noobs from Google like honey, but there's nobody left to interpret the archives and answer followup questions. You're very discerning.

The couple people who continue to answer questions are not very experienced wrenches.

And they continue to read PMs (you know....PRIVATE messages) to ban anybody trying to distribute the truth using that vector.

They used to be honest and just list us as "banned", but they can't handle it when members actually are there seeking the truth,and all VS wants them for is their valuable eyeballs to sell to advertisers. People asked too many questions about "banned."

One thing that pushed us over the edge late last year was when the banner ad was from JAGUAR. As if. :rotfl:

Spectre

Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Thank you all for the warm welcome...I rest my case.

Mr. the roadie: I wouldn't call myself discerning, but thank you. I've been fooling around on car forums for years (mustangs,chevelles,jeeps etc) and I have had a couple of minor experiences with bad owners in the past, and I would have to agree with your assessment of the ad revenue angle. Once the ad revenue begins to outpace donations and membership fees, member satisfaction takes a serious back seat.

I was once very active on another site that was well run with good mods, Bad owner buys it up (I'll let you guess who that was:wink:) and within a short time, the lunatics were running the asylum. It became a place where one or two DBs pretty much ruined it for all. The owners seemed to take a hands-off approach. I honestly think the only thing wrong in that case was that ownership allowed a few egomaniacal 'tards free reign over the site as long as the revenue stream continued. I believe they were more guilty of ignoring the site and what happened there than actually running it into the ground. In the beginning the owners rep was very visible and commented often. Over time, she disappeared. When the "admins" went nutso, she was nowhere to be found, and even let many pleas for her help go unanswered. Needless to say the site is a shadow of it's former self. The owners crime in that case was apathy.

Again, I compliment you folks on doing a fine job and look forward to learning from you guys.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
welcome to the "good site" we got cookies :rotfl:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Howdy. Glad you found us.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Welcome aboard! Now that's an intro thread.:thumbsup::cool:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
:iagree:

welcome over :tiphat:

Spectre

Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
:tiphat: Welcome:tiphat:

In case you haven't heard:
http://gmtnation.com/f5/welcome-gmtnation-com-heres-story-226/

You'll like it here. Just don't tell any one you have a Ford. j/k

Thanks guys...

I did read up on the jailbreak while lurking last week. Good stuff.

"A little revolution now and then is a good thing, don't you think?"
Captain Ramius, The Hunt for Red October.
I love me some Sean Connery.

And the 65 Mustang has moved to another state. I like to think that the Mustang isn't really a Ford, They just got lucky once or twice.

Only have the TB now, and the wife's Acadia, so clearly I've come to the right place!

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Welcome aboard!

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Welcome fellow Southeastern!
Were about are you in this "Southeast" you speak of?

-Joey

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Welcome! It's great to have you here!!

Spectre

Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Porkins said:
Welcome fellow Southeastern!
Were about are you in this "Southeast" you speak of?

-Joey

NW of you :smile:

Kentucky

Where the sun shines bright, the grass is blue and basketball is king.

And yes, most of us wear shoes, have a lot of our teeth, don't normally sleep with our siblings and haven't shot a Hatfield in over a hundred years...probably.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Hiya, Welcome to the Nation. You made a wise decision in turning your back on the other site and joining here. Everything useful remaining over there was written by the membership of this community.

Spectre

Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
the roadie said:
The Intro threads back there continue to gather almost ZERO average replies, except for the misplaced technical questions. No surprise for a place where PMs get examined for signs of "disloyalty".
I thought at first that they were just an unfriendly bunch, but after browsing around, I figured out that there just isn't really anybody there, and a few that are seem a bit grumpy:confused:

Thanks everybody!

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Welcome! :tiphat:

Spectre said:
I like to think that the Mustang isn't really a Ford, They just got lucky once or twice.
:iagree:

I had a 92 Taurus SHO. What a great car! :yes: Of course, the performance aspect of it was all Yamaha. :rolleyes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online