Florida mambers!! I can haz question....

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
The "wife" has expressed a desire to relocate to the south. She has shown a particular interest in Florida. I've only been there a couple times, and that was years ago. Wondering if you guys can clue me in to some relatively nice places, with inexpensive cost of living, where work is not hard to find.

Thanks in advance!

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
if you do move down here, avoid orlando, or anywhere inland for that matter. its all the bad things florida has to offer (heat, humidity, bugs) with none of the good (beaches). not to mention the traffic is terrible.

i'm a little partial to the tampa area. the opposite coast isn't bad in terms of cost of living in the spacecoast area. south florida (either coast) gets pricey.

as far as jobs go... dunno...

i'd recommend coming down here in july/august and see if you still really want to move here

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I was born in Florida, lived there until I was 9yrs old. I went back in 2008(Tampa Bay) and NEVER want to go back. It's hot, Humid, nothing but traffic galore, and lots of people I'd rather stay away from lol.

I like the south, but if I had my choice, I would go to N. Carolina, or Kentucky. I'm in Iowa....we're not really north or South, we're back country lol. I can't live without the 4 seasons, when it gets to hot i'm ready for the cold, when I'm sick of the cold I know summer is right around the corner.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I love Florida, I do like the Orlando Area, bugs do not bother me and it did not feel as humid there as it does up here. I have been down to Orlando 6 times in the last 3 years. It was hot, but did not bother me. Up here you can walk outside to go to work and look like you just got out of the shower.

I have been to other areas, I wouldn't mind trying to get in over at Patrick AFB. That or a mechanic at Disney, or Universal. But word on the street is you need an A&P license to work on a majority of them (airframes and power plants for working on AC)

Not sure about others but I like it hot, I always hear that in the cold you can put more clothes on. Well in the summer I can take more off and get in the damn pool.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Florida? You retiring? :smile:

I have a freind that lives in Ocala, Fl during the winter, and New York, New York during the Summers. He doesnt have a hard time finding work. Have to watch out for the lizards, bugs, and humidity..

Personally, I would avoid Florida like the black plaque.. Coast line of Texas is better, but only just.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Most of the big points have already been mentioned. How soon are you planning/wanting to move?

:iagree: with Jimmy, if it's been a while since you've been down here, come down at the worst time of the year and get a feel for it first, then decide if you can handle it. Traffic problems vary. Obviously rush hour traffic sucks anywhere. Any city where you've got sports teams, construction, or major events hosted, traffic is going to increase, you just have to plan accordingly. If you can handle that, then a place like here in the bay area (hint hint) would be a good spot for you, plus you wouldn't have to travel for meets :biggrin: As stated, avoid Orlando. That's just a hot mess period, with all the tourists. I lived there for a year when I first moved down here from Chicago, then came to Tampa. Much mo betta. :thumbsup:

Freddy G.

Dec 4, 2011
I was born in Staten Island, New York, then moved to Howell, New Jersey, then to Canadensis, Pennsylvania, and then to Cape Coral, Florida. I never was the city type( New York), New Jersey just sucks(however I did go to my first Strip Club there :thumbsup:), I Loved Pennsylvania,but no Beaches so the Fishing sucked. I miss the change in seasons BIG TIME! Now I am in Cape Coral, Florida. Lived here for 11 Years now. Work could always be better but you have that anywhere you go. Only thing I miss is the change in seasons. Always Hot! Only change in season ya get here is Green to Brown Grass and 1 or 2 months the Temp drops down to lowest 40's. The fishing is Great and Prices of Homes are good as well. Cape Coral's town rules SUCK. I'd suggest Fort myers area.

Off Subject I am in Cape Coral and there is another member in Fort Myers

Blckshdw said:
Most of the big points have already been mentioned. How soon are you planning/wanting to move?

:iagree: with Jimmy, if it's been a while since you've been down here, come down at the worst time of the year and get a feel for it first, then decide if you can handle it. Traffic problems vary. Obviously rush hour traffic sucks anywhere. Any city where you've got sports teams, construction, or major events hosted, traffic is going to increase, you just have to plan accordingly. If you can handle that, then a place like here in the bay area (hint hint) would be a good spot for you, plus you wouldn't have to travel for meets :biggrin: As stated, avoid Orlando. That's just a hot mess period, with all the tourists. I lived there for a year when I first moved down here from Chicago, then came to Tampa. Much mo betta. :thumbsup:

Dont move to BLKSHDW's area. They have enough members there. :raspberry:

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
Having lived in Florida, I can say it's a nice place to visit. I'm in the Telecom field, and I know it was impossible for me to find work after I was laid off so we moved. But that was 8-9 years ago, maybe things have changed.

When people ask me about getting jobs there, I tell them the Florida economy is based on 2 things, livin' and dying. There's lot's of work for people in the entertainment/ partying business (that's the livin' part) and in the healthcare/retirement business (that's the dying part).

Personally, I would never stay in Florida more than a couple of weeks, but my opinion may be skewed by the experience I had at the company I worked for :hopeless:. YMMV

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I defintely don't mind the climate, she can always turn on the air. Staying within 30 min of the beach is necessary for both of us. She works in nursing.....plenty of job security. I have experience in a lot of different areas. I am hoping to be in a position to work part time while I get my detailing/custom shop established. Been doing more and more custom headlight work....that is mail order, so I can take it wherever.

I have been thinking slightly north of Tampa. Spring hill, etc. I've been there before and it seems doable from what I remember. We would plan to rent at first, and I need t to be affordable enough to get a place with a garage so I can work out of it. Zoning for that is something I haven't even considered et.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Although I don't live in Florida, I visit every year. I am partial to the Gulf coast. I have family in Pinellas Park and Sarasota. They are both nice. :twocents: (of course, I'm not down there in the summer)

markmc

Nov 20, 2011
Wife, son and i moved to St Augustine from west of Chicago little over 2 years ago.
We love the area, its a sleepy little historic city that is a year round tourist destination.

Average rental for a 2/2 on the island we live on runs around $1000 to $1200 month, but you can find cheaper/nicer on craigslist.

Employment in this area is mainly tourist industry jobs and some fishing charters.

Weather..
Yeah its pretty hot in the summer, but you will get used to it with time..
When the temps drop below 60 Deg we wear carharts..lol

Trade off is never shoveling a 12" snow fall that was forecast to be 2"..

We do miss the snow at Christmas time..:frown:

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks for the feedback, Mark. St Augustine is one of the east coast locations on my listof places to look into, as well as Daytona beach and palm beach county(albeit more expensive).

markmc

Nov 20, 2011
smitty5150 said:
Thanks for the feedback, Mark. St Augustine is one of the east coast locations on my listof places to look into, as well as Daytona beach and palm beach county(albeit more expensive).

Glad to offer any assistance.
Keep us posted, there are members here also willing to help you relocate.

One other nice feature that Florida has..
You can send pics to your family in January like this:

Attachments

• drink.jpg
    drink.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 25

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
This is a good thread with lots of good info. My fiance works for USAA, and they have an office in Tampa. She(we) thinking about putting in for a transfer to that office.

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
smitty5150;48983... said:
I have been thinking slightly north of Tampa. Spring hill, etc.

Heh, that's the area I'm in now, and I will be out of here in about two weeks. I wouldn't hesitate for one second to move to the Carolinas if I thought I could get a decent paying job in my industry with some stability . Unfortunately, I am on my way back to Central Florida, but the Tampa area has worn thin on me.

You think you can withstand the heat and humidity, but you'll have to go outside for something, sooner or later.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
So I take it the chances of you joining us for a mini meet are between slim and none, and slim is on vacation somewhere? :tongue:

DirtyBacon04

May 14, 2012
Well, maybe it's just me. I was born in south FL. And I currently live in Clermont, FL (just NW of Orlando). The humidity doesn't seem to bother me that much. I take advantage of the heat and humidity to stay in shape. Makes me appreciate my trucks AC even more :wink:
Clermont is small, but growing town. We are far enough away from the "touristy" places to not feel the traffic, but close enough to enjoy the attractions. MCO (Orlando Airport) is only 45 min away and disney about an hour. The beach is probably 1hr 40min away (atlantic side).
Some people complain about hurricanes... personally, i find them exciting! Maybe i have temperatley thick skin and I can just deal with it, though...

Dec 16, 2011
DirtyBacon04 said:
Well, maybe it's just me. I was born in south FL. And I currently live in Clermont, FL (just NW of Orlando). The humidity doesn't seem to bother me that much. I take advantage of the heat and humidity to stay in shape. Makes me appreciate my trucks AC even more :wink:
Clermont is small, but growing town. We are far enough away from the "touristy" places to not feel the traffic, but close enough to enjoy the attractions. MCO (Orlando Airport) is only 45 min away and disney about an hour. The beach is probably 1hr 40min away (atlantic side).
Some people complain about hurricanes... personally, i find them exciting! Maybe i have temperatley thick skin and I can just deal with it, though...

I was born in Miami and lived my first 30 years there. Will never move back, don't even like to visit anymore. The reasons are legion and I'll list them in another post if anyone cares.

I moved to the Space Coast in 1995. I don't recommend coming here until and unless we get a President who will reestablish the manned space program, the economy is taking too much of a hit, both from the lack of NASA people and the lack of jobs to support them. If my kids weren't here I'd probably move up to St. Augustine or Daytona Beach, and I recommend both those areas if you want to be on the coast. The Tampa/Clearwater area is almost as miserably overpopulated as Miami.

eutechnyx

Mar 31, 2012
Everything I could possibly say has been expressed already. I would NOT recommend Daytona its gotten pretty dirty and not what it used to be.

Metalsmith

Dec 23, 2012
I live in Jacksonville and like it.... got out of the army , in 77, moved back in 79 and stayed put..... If you are into detailing, move to a money town ( tourist havens), but live in the outskirts.... I work in custom cars and motorcycles ....go in a 5:00 am & miss the drive time traffic....get off at 2:00pm and miss it again and have enough daylight to do all most any thing you want .... Have a friend in NE Orlando that restores Vettes.... he has a shop in a nice industrial area and since you are not a 9 to 5'er..... come and go as you wish ! If you go mobile, as a lot do , you can cover Daytona andTtampa , from O-town area... come on down... Plus your lady will look good all tanned....plus don't detailers use water..... ; ))

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I used to live in Tallahassee and have been to all of FL. I really like the Gulf/Panhandle area. Some beautiful beaches, good location to head back North when its time to visit family, good job market(at least when I was there), you get some change in season without the absolute freezing or baking. I still think of moving back there

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
first time admitting this to anyone, lived in Perth Amboy about 30 years ago and that's a hell no..lived in the Bronx for 13 years and been down here15years. I live in the Lutz/Wesley chapel area is about 15 min north of Tampa. Area is still somewhat rural with the city of Tampa about 15 miles away only go there to visit family, most jobs are in Brandon which is about half hour drive to 45 min with traffic, otherwise 15 min. Avoid Pinellas county, north Pinellas is a drive to go anywhere and the south is the hood. Orlando is tourist land so expect traffic 24/7. The further south you go the more expensive it gets. If you are in the construction/electrician/plumber etc you will have a hard time finding work. I camp all year round except for Late June through Mid August. During hot summer months I cut my grass either early in the mornings or in the evenings. You will become immune to the Humidity. in the West Central Florida most jobs are in the Tampa/Brandon Areas which is Hillsborough county, Spring hill is two county's away so you will have a long, long commute to work, I know because most of them work with me in Brandon.

Me007gold said:
This is a good thread with lots of good info. My fiance works for USAA, and they have an office in Tampa. She(we) thinking about putting in for a transfer to that office.

That's less then ten miles from me, I been trying to apply there.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
This state is over rated unless you're looking to buy a home in a depressed market at great prices and aren't to concerned with appreciation anytime soon. Great market for investment real estate as well.

As for why everyone else loves this place, got me. It's over crowded and the drivers are terrible. The urban sprawl is driving me insane. But, I go where the money is, so here I am for at least another 4 years.

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I'm" sort of" revisiting the idea. Of relocating, at least. We have some bank and my biz is ready to go full steam. Detailing, yes. But also full service custom exterior lighting, light restoration and sales of lights and hid/retrofit components. I've also been gearing up for tinting, stereo design and installation, remote start/alarms, and wheels. Not sure if I should stay local or gtfo, but we will see.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
smitty5150 said:
I'm" sort of" revisiting the idea. Of relocating, at least. We have some bank and my biz is ready to go full steam. Detailing, yes. But also full service custom exterior lighting, light restoration and sales of lights and hid/retrofit components. I've also been gearing up for tinting, stereo design and installation, remote start/alarms, and wheels. Not sure if I should stay local or gtfo, but we will see.

If that's the case pick an area with the demographics in your favor and growth in favor of your business. That's why I moved to Pinellas. I'm not a fan of FL, but we are purchasing rental real estate and this area is still growing, lots of home on the market under water, increased rents and increased renters, with an increase in younger people.

Downside for your business is disposable incomes are decreasing across the board all over the country. Good luck.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online