Flip Key Fob

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Has anyone else ever thought of swapping to the switchblade Keyfabs?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Do they make aftermarket ones for the TB? I have only seen OE ones for higher end vehicles. Do you have a link to what you have found, if anything?

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Well I just started looking a bit today while I was at work and found one that the case looked close to ours enough to get the lock and unlock button to work but the panic wouldn't without modification im hoping to find one that is close enough that I can reprogram it to our trucks like maybe an equinox or cruzes

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
The canyon one would seem like the best bet to find a way to program it

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419389665123.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1419389665123.png
    670.1 KB · Views: 89
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419389723716.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1419389723716.png
    838 KB · Views: 81

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
This came up on the OS forever ago. Looks like Autoloc.com was the site guys tried back then. One guy got his to work, getting the blank cut was a little touchy. The options for the key blanks have changed since then, but at least we know it's possible. :yes:

Reactions: Aarkon

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Reading through that thread it looks as though he only wanted the flipkey option and the Keyfab was fake though. I need both too work I will have too do more research tomorrow

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would rather have them separate but now you got me curious.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
I'm of the opposite opinion of BT on this. I like the idea of not having the key making a whole in my pocket. And they're cool.

Reactions: Sib

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
If you look at the Saturn sky key fans they are a quick swap over from their stock one and looks very similar too ours. I have also been putting some thought into making my own board or chopping one of mine and rewiring it to fit in a blank. I may also buy the Canyon one and see what can be done with it before I chop one up though

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419464409886.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419464409886.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 55

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nice find! Too bad it wouldn't work with the Saab because the key is different (PK3) than the rest of the GMT360's (usual Saab weirdness). It should work with all the others though.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If my fob for my Silverado ever dies maybe I should look for something like that for it. Although, I'm pretty sure it is one of those chipped "smart" keys, so that may be quite the expensive proposition and not worth doing.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
I needed another key fob so I just ordered one of the flip key instead. I'll see how long it takes to reach here in Belize.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm pretty sure it is one of those chipped "smart" keys

Depends. In '07, if it is the classic body style, no chip. If it's the new body style, it has a chip.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If you notice the pic in my sig, and the info in my sig, and, well, the pics from my build thread, etc etc then you SHOULD know that I have a new body style :raspberry:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, knew that but wanted to put the info out there. Anywho, you're boned.

I would have considered it for the TB a couple of years ago but now, it's getting old and probably will meet the same fate as yours in a year or two.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It just looks like they omitted all 5.3's prior to '06. It should work.

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
So an update I got my flip key fob when I was up in Phoenix and just programmed it, took me 3 times to do this, my own fault but it works and I am happy to have this flip key fob. Took it to Walmart and the guy cut it for free. No more carrying around 2 pieces. BTW this is super easy to program took less than 20 seconds. Heres the video that the Ebay seller sends you when you buy his flip key fob.

Keys.jpg

Lock, unlock and panic all work on the new flip key, get it you'll thank me later

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Wonder if u can find one for a 4 button fob that I have on my envoy.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have an XUV. It's for the rear tail gate

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thanks

Mirage

Feb 23, 2014
do you already have 2 programmed keys? If not then you need to take to dealer or find someone with a Tech II

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
I'm having trouble pairing this as a second key. How much times did you try this to get it to work?

I am using my flip key as my main key and I have the other program fob in my closet in case I lose the flip key, I didn't program it though. It took me 3 tries to program this flip key only because I wasn't following a key step, I kept forgetting to turn the key to the off position when I was programming it and I was leaving it on.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Don't need a Tech 2 on these trucks. You can program a maximum of 4 fobs. If you already have 2 programmed, any additional ones will be added. If you go beyond 4, the first one will get overwritten. It's best to program all your remotes at once.

Mirage

Feb 23, 2014
Don't need a Tech 2 on these trucks. You can program a maximum of 4 fobs. If you already have 2 programmed, any additional ones will be added. If you go beyond 4, the first one will get overwritten. It's best to program all your remotes at once.
I'm having trouble pairing this as a second key. How much times did you try this to get it to work?

If kim93 is trying to add an additional key then correct me if I'm wrong, you cant do it without a tech II unless you already have 2 known previously programmed keys. Programming fobs Is different

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Our keys (except the 9-7x) do not have chips therefore no programming needed for the keys alone.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
FWIW I have the switchblade fob on my wife's Nox and the problem is that if I have my dog with me on hot day, I can't leave it running(AC on)and lock the doors. With my Envoy I can by detaching the remote.
The Nox has remote start so I have to keep remote starting it after it times out.
I only mention this because others with dogs may not have thought of this glitch ... Mike.

dreamer339

Nov 9, 2016
Czech Republic
Hello all,
kind of a strange combination here: European Trailblazer with PK3+ on the key, and the markings on the key fob PCB are even more confusing: TEMIC 287521.02 EURO/JAPAN. Googling that was not very successful, maybe some of you wise people here would recognize that and could advise me on what spare key to buy that would work... Am afraid of losing the only one I got.
Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I remember a member from Europe looking for a replacement remote and it was different than the North American ones. Best we could figure out is that they had to use a different frequency over there.

No idea why they would use PK3 over there instead of the chipless system except for the Saab 9-7x, which up until now, I thought was the only one using PK3.

If your key says PK3+, then you should be able to use that type of key. I wouldn't even bother trying to get one of these flip keys. Only thing though is that you'll have to get these new keys programmed by either a dealer or someone with a Tech 2 with the GM global operations programming software.

Have you had this truck since new? Did it come with this key? I'm wondering if the key is a copy but a PK3+ key was used even though the truck doesn't actually use the chip. Just happens the key blank was the same shape as the non-chip key. Check with a locksmith and get a chipless blank made and try it.

dreamer339

Nov 9, 2016
Czech Republic
Thank you for the reply and pointing me in the right direction. So to get another key fob working I should probably look into getting a 2nd hand european version of the key.
I have bought the truck a few months ago, but I know for sure that it will not start with a non-chip key, that is how I found out about the difference :-D
Apparently some Canadian Trailblazers used the PK3+ system as well, but I am unable to find that key as a spare part.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Imho those "switchblade" key fob setups are annoying as hell!
My '15 Fusion has them. Damn things pop open in your pocket all the time.. stab you in the leg when you sit down...
Hate them...but that's me

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online