Flickering Lights

Vicompc

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Ok, I replaced my battery and the TB starts fine now but a new problem has cropped up. The dash, interior, and headlights all have started to flicker. The are not cuttng out but it almost seems like a strobe light. I have checked the altenator under load the grounds and the new battery all seem to be ok. I'm at a loss as to were to go to fix the problem, does anybody have any ideas as to where to look?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sure sounds like a ground wire problem. Do you have a voltmeter and can you put it on the front fuse block feed wire on the AC scale?

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Are the headlights flickering too? Had the regulator in a Pontiac's alternator go south on me and all the lights flickered due to the residual AC on the 12V.

Vicompc

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I'll check the ground I found a loose hot wire and tightened it up but still have the problem. Yes the headlights are flickering also, the volt guage will also bounce from arounf 13v to 15v while it's happening. I've checked out the altenator and it appears to be operating like it should (no spikes).

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The connection from the alternator to the battery is suspect, as is the wiring to the fuse block. Is it a regular, predictable flickering? Or erratic? And what about my question of a meter and AC scale?

Vicompc

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I haven't had a change to check it with a volt meter but will tonight (I'm out of town). However, the flicker is very regular, and predictable, I appreciate all the advice and direction it will save me a ton of time when I get to the house.

Vicompc

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Vicompc said:
I haven't had a change to check it with a volt meter but will tonight (I'm out of town). However, the flicker is very regular, and predictable, I appreciate all the advice and direction it will save me a ton of time when I get to the house.

I checked the voltage and it was running between 13.6v and 14.0v. I did find the problem though, I checked it agian last night leaving the meter on for 30minutes the voltage will drop to 9V and rise to 14.3V. Looks like I have a bad voltage regulator in the altenator, it was just a spiradic issue so I couldn't see it.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If you have a bad voltage regulator or erratic idle that allows the RPM to go down to 400 RPM so the alternator quits putting out the proper voltage, the BATTERY should still prevent droopage all the way down to 9V. I don't think you've found the root cause yet. Just an effect of it.

jballentine

Dec 24, 2011
this is what happened to me last week. I got out of last week started my TV let it idle for a few while I got situated then I preceded to leave. While I pulled out the lights,radio everything shut down for a split second and came back on and the engine still ran. The lights flickered here and there on the way home. I pulled in the garage and turned it off and tried to start it again, nothing just clicked. So I got out my jumper pack and started it again checked all my connections everywhere. After that jump I haven't had any problem like that again. Not sure what or why it did it, left me scratching my head it is a newer battery and the voltage is reading good. I dunno just will have to keep a watch on it.

nospark

Feb 20, 2012
Hazelwood MO
Don't know if I have same conditions but, I have been fighting this a couple years on and off. It started only at highway speeds, let up on gas as coming up on another car then the voltage drop/ spike. Enough to get slower car to move out of my way. Now it doesn't mater when I let up it will most likely dim/ flash. I have posted this problem before elsewhere and 1 of the replies was to clean throttle body. That worked then. Not now. TB cleaned a week ago and belt looked at closely, thought it might be slipping. I was starting to think regulator. Can reg. be change out on these alternators like the old days? And can you buy them separately? If there not to expensive I would try it just to rule it out. Thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online