Flexplate replacement recommended?

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hi. Do I need to replace the flexplate if I’m installing a used transmission in my ‘06 Envoy SLT? The existing FP has about 159k miles on it. Thx

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The vast majority of flexplates last the lifetime of the truck. There have been very few that had cracked but the one I know of here was severely abused. My 02's flexplate out lasted two engines.

Just give it a good inspection as well as the rear main seal while you're there. If they're good, leave them alone.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Some additional Food For Thought on what might be involved with Flex-Plate Failures:

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
The vast majority of flexplates last the lifetime of the truck. There have been very few that had cracked but the one I know of here was severely abused. My 02's flexplate out lasted two engines.

Just give it a good inspection as well as the rear main seal while you're there. If they're good, leave them alone.
Ok awesome. I very much appreciate your reply friend. Thank You

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
After my trans blew up two years ago, it was rebuilt. A few days later my original flex plate cracked. I put a used one in and that one cracked a few days later. I got a new ACDelco one and it's been 2.5 years on it now. Just a personal experience story.

Reactions: mrrsm

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
After my trans blew up two years ago, it was rebuilt. A few days later my original flex plate cracked. I put a used one in and that one cracked a few days later. I got a new ACDelco one and it's been 2.5 years on it now. Just a personal experience story.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was just about convinced that I would be fine without replacing it, and now I am sure. That I am going to replace it. The location that I have to work on the vehicle is about as inconvenient as it could be and I don't have anyone I know who can or would lend a hand, so I'd rather not have to repeat pulling and replacing the trans if I can avoid it for $60. Thank You again. Jim

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
So after all was said and done, I inspected my plate and have decided not to replace it. Mostly due to financial issues. I found and replaced a boat load of other parts that were either rusted or broken during the swap. The plate looked good so I am going to have to take the chance of sticking with the old one. If I ever get the transfer case in I will report back as time goes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher