Flat 4 Connectors

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
The towing question is not actually Trailblazer specific, but still probably right on topic.

I have two small trailers I tow regularly. A 5x8 utility trailer and a smallish boat. My truck has a 6 pin plug, so I have a 6 pin to 4 pin adapter that I plug in and it works great.

But the trailers both have these cheap flat 4 cables that you can get everywhere. I keep having to replace them because they are all made so cheap. The wire insulation eventually breaks, shortly there after the copper fails. It's always the same deal. And back when I had an S10 which, rather than a heavy duty 6 pin socket, had just another flat 4 connector wire hanging down, the truck end would have the same problem!

EUUuPwk.jpg

I've used different brands but they're all the same. Maybe these connectors are ok if you tow once or twice a year. But if you tow weekly, they're junk.

So my question is, does anyone know of a better system? I know the ultimate solution is that I Could upgrade both trailers to 6 pin heavy duty plugs. But I'd rather find some form of 'heavy duty' or just a quality 4 in plug, so I could maintain compatibility with other vehicles. Any suggestions?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
$1.60 Per Foot... includes Multiple Wire Sets (including 4 - 14 Ga. for your application) and is Weather Shielded... So using a Pair of Wishbone 4 Pin Connectors Soldered on would give you much better Quality, Endurance and Utility... :>)

31Y5IbNpAZL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0167PUKCO/?tag=gmtnation-20

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Do you replace the entire wiring harness? Or just the plug?

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Well I replace the plug and the last couple of feet. Not the whole wiring harness. I might do the whole harness of the boat trailer in the spring since parts of it are still original and in poor shape. And I'd like to rewire that trailer with a ground wire since it gets dunked fully underwater regularly.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I don't think it's the sun, I think it's the flexing from squeezing it. I do tuck the connector up under the trailer tongue when not in use so it is shaded most of the time.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Mine is in wireloom almost to the plug then it's exposed for a few inches. the last harness I got was from West and used a soft rubber on the plug. maybe switch to metal 6 pin if it's that much of a problem? I tow regularly enough and only rewired the trailer once in the last 12 years and this is because the wire was pinched and then got dunked in salt water.

We use these on our wall form trailers and don't have too much of an issue.

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK11604.html

Moore

Sep 8, 2016
Oregon
Post #5 has the right answer, do it. Also you must be careful when pulling the connection apart and even putting it together. Any angle than straight will lossen up the pins and they break when connecting or removing. If the wires do not have a belly in them hooked up and you are pulling the harness as you turn or drive they will fail fast. I have broke a few. But, being a little gentle and putting tape of some type around the harness will allow them to last longer. Yeah when stuff was not made in China it did last longer and built alittle better. I hook up boats weekly and have for about 20 years. Beside my own boats I was a in marine patrol for 8 years, all those boats were stored on trailers. Another trick few use, get a 1.5 oz tube of dielectric silicone compound. Put a little on the connector. All the work boats and mine have a tube in the tool box. Good luck

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramzo358

Members Online