Fixed my AIR solenoid for good

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I had posted earlier about my AIR problems. The pump was long shot, the system caused a patristic draw so it was ripped out last fall. I left some of the piping in place, with one still attached to the solenoid mounted above the exhaust manifold. This year I had heard this "glug glug" sound when idling. Found it to be the solenoid was allowing air past, the exhaust reversion at the solenoid port or what ever you want to call it appeared to be sucking air in, which was pulling moisture into the piping and when the low points were full enough, it was sucking air past the water. I never really checked my scanner to see if this was causing a lean condition but I surmise it was. No way it wasn't. So I found some aluminum sheeting and traced out the flange of the solenoid, cut it, drilled the bolt holes and voila. Problem fixed. Just made a delete plate that sandwiches between the solenoid and the gasket.

So fixing a potential lean condition and recently fixing my ailing t stat I will be hand calculating mileage again once I fill this current tank up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep. It has been documented as a source of air leaks when it fails. What did you use to block off the port?

FYI, it's actually called the SAIS (Secondary Air Injection System).

Reactions: xavierny25

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Yes, SAIS or JOKE or GMENGINEERINGFAIL..... I had some aluminum sheeting, not sure of the gauge and used some snips to cut it. I will inspect the plate after a few more heat cycles to ensure its integrity.

Reactions: Mooseman

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I had thought about the delete plate and still might if my block off fails or appears to not be holding up to my expectations. I have been eyeing a tune for years now and still might. I plan on keeping this vehicle for some time but unfortunately I cannot go without my second vehicle as of yet. I have been to your site and when time affords getting a tune. Got that right.

Reactions: Eric04

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online