fix the Buick or keep the money?

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Last week I was coming to work at about 0615. I was about 6 cars back at a flashing red light waiting my turn to creep forward when I heard a loud crash and then I get hit. The lady driving a pickup looked down to adjust her heating controls and apparently didn't see the cars stopped at the flashing red light. The Honda behind me took a big hit which then pushed it into my Buick. Just left corner of my truck was hit. The bumper is scratched up and the tail light is broken. The driver of the Honda had a lot of neck pain and was transported to the hospital on a stretcher.
The lady driving the red pickup asked why we all stopped. I pointed to the dual flashing red lights and said because that is what I normally do at stop signs. She lives nearby and says she has been working on the I-69 project - driving this road for months...

So I got the estimate for my Buick ~$2,100. New bumper cover, tail light and door molding. I need a new tail light since its all broken up but the bumper is in OK shape, just scratched and gouged a little - same for the door molding. The buick has been paid off for a while so I'm thinking about just putting a new light on myself and forgetting about the rest.

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I think the only drawback to keeping the money is the trade in value will be hurt if/when I trade it in. Not sure when that would happen since I can't afford a new truck payment anyway.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
2001FZ1 said:
I think the only drawback to keeping the money is the trade in value will be hurt if/when I trade it in. Not sure when that would happen since I can't afford a new truck payment anyway.

No offense, but right now its a 8 year old truck from a dead manufacturer. I would not worry about trade in value.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
Me007gold said:
No offense, but right now its a 8 year old truck from a dead manufacturer. I would not worry about trade in value.

Buick is very much alive and well. But, I agree on the "fix the light and keep the money" thing. Trade-in on an '04 isn't going to be all that much, and certainly not woth going to the expense of fixing the bumper.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
So if this lady caused the crash, why isnt she paying (or her insurance) for your repairs?! :confused:

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I would say keep the money, It is getting up there in age, If you were to trade it in, dealers wont give jack S**T for it. If its payed off, drive it till the wheels fall off. New tailight, and BAM your good. BTW sorry you had to be a victim of the daily wrecks on I-69... When I was working in Fishers, I luckily never was in one, just sitting due to one...

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
So if this lady caused the crash, why isnt she paying (or her insurance) for your repairs?! :confused:

She is paying for it, he is asking if he should keep the cash or fix the truck

davenay67 said:
Buick is very much alive and well. But, I agree on the "fix the light and keep the money" thing. Trade-in on an '04 isn't going to be all that much, and certainly not woth going to the expense of fixing the bumper.

Opps. Ment to say dead platform.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
:iagree: * 100
Putting the $2000 into the bumper and molding sure won't increase your trade-in value by $2000; not now or not in 1/2/3/4 (pick one) years.
I'm not sure how your insurance company works with reporting things though. You should let them know what you decide. IF you don't fix it and get hit again (hope not), accepting additional money for the same damaged bumper constitutes insurance fraud.

Um ... why does your profile say 2012 Rainier?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wyle said:
:I'm not sure how your insurance company works with reporting things though. You should let them know what you decide. IF you don't fix it and get hit again (hope not), accepting additional money for the same damaged bumper constitutes insurance fraud.

He does not need to report anything, but later if he lies and says the old old damage is due to a future incident and tries to get it fixed then...it would be fraud. It is not fraud to not report the damage. I would not tell them anything.

When mine was hit lightly and the other guys insurance paid, I did not tell my company because I did not want anything that could possibly be misconstrued and cause my rates to raise, no matter who's fault it was. His insurance paid for my sliders...

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
You should post some pictures so we are on the same page regarding the damage. Is your Rainier pristine and do you plan to keep it for a long time? Do you have any money in mods into it? How many miles are on it? A few scrapes on a bumper isn't too terrible since afterall it is a bumper. Is $2000 a lot of money to you where you could better utilize it elsewhere?

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
My son hit a deer a few years back(when he was 16) in the center of the bumper, it bent the bumper pretty good and busted the radiator.
He didn't have comprehensive insurance then.
We put in a new radiator and he went back to driving.

When he got his own insurance (at 18)I advised him to carry comprehensive.
A few weeks ago he hit another deer, this time it was on the corner of the driver side, busted the end cap, crumpled the fender, busted the signal light.

He told them he had previously hit a deer in the center, they gave him $2100 for repairs.
I wouldn't have given him $1200 for the jeep if I had money lying around.
I don't understand why they didn't total it.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
BTW, unless it was in pristine condition and you detail it every week kind of truck, I would fix the light and drive it.
Like was mentioned earlier pictures would help us give you more info.

You could also possibly find a bumper and moulding at a JY if you know anyone that can paint to match.

MedicatedMike

Feb 24, 2012
I agree that more info would be helpful to help make the best decision but at same time, I know if it was me, I too would fix the light and then take my sweet time looking for another bumper and molding or whatever at JY's. Just be patient and wait to find ones already painted the same color as your truck, take the parts off yourself, and still keep over half. :biggrin:

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I keep my cars in pretty good shape. Garage kept, polish the paint 3-4 times a year and do the maintenance more than the books says too.

I think what I am going to do is just have the bumper repainted instead of replaced, stopping by the body shop tomorrow for an estimate. The bumper will save $600 just for that. I'm also hitting the local junk yard (or ebay if that doesn't work) for a tail light. $106 vs $60. The side molding was listed to be replaced but I hit it with the buffer and it looks good enough. That saved another $500.

The idea of driving it until the wheels fall off is probably what I'm was going to do with it.

here are a couple pictures. You would think with a hit like this, the air bags would have gone off in that GMC, but they didn't...

Attachments

• 03-06-12_0701.jpg
    03-06-12_0701.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 03-06-12_0702.jpg
    03-06-12_0702.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 03-06-12_0703.jpg
    03-06-12_0703.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 03-06-12_0704.jpg
    03-06-12_0704.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 03-06-12_0705.jpg
    03-06-12_0705.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00068.jpg
    DSC00068.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 5

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:

Her insurance is paying. I even get a rental car which I won't use.....but they won't just give me the cash instead.

I talked to the insurance guy about they other cars when he gave me my estimate. The GMC and Honda were totaled out. never have heard if they guy in the Honda is getting a lawyer...

Wyle said:
:iagree: * 100
Putting the $2000 into the bumper and molding sure won't increase your trade-in value by $2000; not now or not in 1/2/3/4 (pick one) years.
I'm not sure how your insurance company works with reporting things though. You should let them know what you decide. IF you don't fix it and get hit again (hope not), accepting additional money for the same damaged bumper constitutes insurance fraud.

Um ... why does your profile say 2012 Rainier?

I am special, thats why I have a '12 Rainier. Actually, I don't know. just never changed it.

Jkust said:
You should post some pictures so we are on the same page regarding the damage. Is your Rainier pristine and do you plan to keep it for a long time? Do you have any money in mods into it? How many miles are on it? A few scrapes on a bumper isn't too terrible since afterall it is a bumper. Is $2000 a lot of money to you where you could better utilize it elsewhere?

the money I am not putting in to the Buick is going towards a double vanity/sink and a water heater in my addition.

Could also use a side of beef in the freezer. Burger from kroger and wal-mart is terrible in flavor and price.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Holy crap that civic's trunk is totally pancaked :eek:

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
If I can find a bumper cover from a salvage yard in decent shape, what should I expect to pay for it?

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
2001FZ1 said:
I keep my cars in pretty good shape. Garage kept, polish the paint 3-4 times a year...

It shows, that's a nice looking Rainier. I've been in this situation a few times with other cars and mostly, i've opted to not fix it. Once I got paid for a new bumper when my 97 Bonneville got rear ended at a red light and the car that did it was destroyed while my spring loaded Bonneville bumper had the slightest of scrateches. It sprung back out a couple days later. The occupant of the car that hit me was taken away in an ambulance and I swore he was faking it since my damage was nil while he whole front was caved in, in his Malibu but the impact didn't seem bad enough to cause that amount of damage and injury. The insurance company of the other driver then also cut me a check to sign away liability as well. So new bumper amount of cash plus a grand to say I wouldn't sue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online