SUPPORT Fix: PhotoBucket broken image links

As you may or may not have noticed, PhotoBucket has changed their terms of service and now charging for the privilege of hosting images, including any past images already posted. So, if you are using PB to host your images that you post or use in your signature, this is what we're greeted with when viewing:

PhotoBucket.jpg

If in your signature, please either delete it or upload to the site. If possible, if you have some pictures in posts, especially articles and write-ups, please update them. It is recommended that you upload all images directly to the GMTNation using the "Upload a file" feature.

PhotoBucket. The #1 cause of broken picture links on forums.

OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

There is hope! I just found out about an add-on for FireFox called PhotoBucket Embed Fix. Installed it, refreshed the page and voilà! pics are back!

Checked and it's also available for Chrome.

I did it on Chrome right away, but then work took Chrome away... Will try firefox since they still allow that browser.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Supporter
OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

I saw this on the Caprice board and somebody mentioned the fix. Gotta love open source browsers!

@Mooseman sir, I am forever in your debt!!!

I started trying to upload a bunch of pics in different threads, and that got old REAL quick!! :thankyou:

djthumper

Administrator
@Mooseman sir, I am forever in your debt!!!

I started trying to upload a bunch of pics in different threads, and that got old REAL quick!! :thankyou:
It was good for you to practice. :wink:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Supporter
I saw this on the Caprice board and somebody mentioned the fix. Gotta love open source browsers!
Gotta love people who help circumvent a site's wholesale financial rape of their user community (e.g.; not *all* hacking is 'bad') :goodevil:

OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

Until they figure a way to block it again :mad:

That happened with Netflix when they were blocking US content to everywhere else. Had tools and proxies that worked and then blocked again.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Supporter
Somehow, I think that if Photof#ckit does block it again, it won't be long before it's circumvented again. There were 3 different versions of the 'unblock' add-in for Chrome that I found (and maybe more), so I don't think it was too difficult for people to get around it.

Unless PB actually invents something that goes site by site and removes the content, forcing the original posters to upload again (and, thus, forces the user to pay the ransom, if they use PB) - or, track down all of the 'old' users and threaten legal action, yada yada... it won't be too hard to keep 'unhiding' the photos. Option #2 would be orders of magnitude easier than option #1.

On a related (?) topic... one of my favorite Chrome add-ins is 'Removes Taboola' (I hate that organization with a passion, given that they'll slow down Chrome to a crawl continually loading content a la Fakebook / Twitler)

Jman423

Administrator
Administrator
As it has been setup now and for the past several months, all attachments that are linked to external sources will be imported to our site and any referencing link will be replaced to represent the local file location. However, I'm not sure if that works with PhotoBucket links. I'm also not certain how it handles external links that existed before we implemented this method.

We prefer that all content is hosted locally on our server to prevent issues like this, and we may move to prevent hot-linking when we upgrade our forum software in the near future.

Looks like Photobucket is allowing hosted pics to show up again, but with a good sized watermark for advertising purposes.

As it has been setup now and for the past several months, all attachments that are linked to external sources will be imported to our site and any referencing link will be replaced to represent the local file location. However, I'm not sure if that works with PhotoBucket links. I'm also not certain how it handles external links that existed before we implemented this method.
To test this, here's a couple old pics from meets back in the day :biggrin:

OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

I guess people complained enough that they broke forums everywhere and people leaving in droves.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Supporter
FYI - on my Chrome browser, the pics @Blckshdw posted today have no watermarks until I click on them to 'expand' them outside of the msg. Then they show the watermark.

Even if they had the watermark on the initial view - that's still better than 'no pic'. I can live with a watermark.

And for those wondering, I just tested (in Chrome) - you can't 'save' a photo in the message window. If you expand the image, you can then save it - but it does contain the watermark.

If you have a photobucket link fix extension, it clears the water mark. Probably why I never noticed this before until today at work where we can't install anything without permission :mad:

MRRSM

Lifetime VIP Supporter
Third Party Hosting Greed is what Killed the Photobucket "Goose That Lays The Golden Eggs". Some corporate jackass decided to force EVERYONE who tries to link to their 'mess' even on Paid Accounts ...to "Pay Up MORE for Third Party Hosting...or FO...!" And now... it is even worse than that.

Recently... I was going over some legacy GMTN Posts( with quite a few OT PB links) and when I tried to click on a few...of course they still did NOT work. BUT... after doing so...when I went directly back to the PB Home Page... I also could not get in to view my Old PB Libraries. Apparently... even the mere act of trying to USE these Old, originally Freely Linked 3rd PH Links to my own stuff will trigger this "Lock Out" Algorithm.

Gradually... I am adding all of my older Imagery and folders from many Back-Up Memory Cards and USB Discs over to my new place as "MRRSM" at www.flickr.com. I have found the ease of use there and the open allowance for Free Third Party Hosting-Linking there is proving out to be a much better place to put my images and videos. Their Tools and Tactics make for organizing everything is MUCH easier to use and enjoy than PB ever had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyZ

Latest posts

Top Bottom