1. We are working on the forum's attachment system. Attachments and avatars will be intermittently affected over the next 24 hours.
    Dismiss Notice

SUPPORT Fix: PhotoBucket broken image links

Discussion in 'Site Support' started by Mooseman, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

As you may or may not have noticed, PhotoBucket has changed their terms of service and now charging for the privilege of hosting images, including any past images already posted. So, if you are using PB to host your images that you post or use in your signature, this is what we're greeted with when viewing:

PhotoBucket.jpg

If in your signature, please either delete it or upload to the site. If possible, if you have some pictures in posts, especially articles and write-ups, please update them. It is recommended that you upload all images directly to the GMTNation using the "Upload a file" feature.

PhotoBucket. The #1 cause of broken picture links on forums.

Blckshdw and Tiggerr like this.
  2. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

There is hope! I just found out about an add-on for FireFox called PhotoBucket Embed Fix. Installed it, refreshed the page and voilà! pics are back!

Checked and it's also available for Chrome.

3. HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ Moderator

I did it on Chrome right away, but then work took Chrome away... Will try firefox since they still allow that browser.

Mooseman likes this.
  4. Reprise

Reprise Silver Supporter

Installed. You, sir, win the Internet for today :smile:

Mooseman likes this.
  5. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

I saw this on the Caprice board and somebody mentioned the fix. Gotta love open source browsers!

Redbeard and xavierny25 like this.
  6. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

@Mooseman sir, I am forever in your debt!!!

I started trying to upload a bunch of pics in different threads, and that got old REAL quick!! :thankyou:

7. djthumper

djthumper Administrator

Admin Post
    It was good for you to practice. :wink:

8. Reprise

Reprise Silver Supporter

Gotta love people who help circumvent a site's wholesale financial rape of their user community (e.g.; not *all* hacking is 'bad') :goodevil:

9. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

Until they figure a way to block it again :mad:

That happened with Netflix when they were blocking US content to everywhere else. Had tools and proxies that worked and then blocked again.

10. Reprise

Reprise Silver Supporter

Somehow, I think that if Photof#ckit does block it again, it won't be long before it's circumvented again. There were 3 different versions of the 'unblock' add-in for Chrome that I found (and maybe more), so I don't think it was too difficult for people to get around it.

Unless PB actually invents something that goes site by site and removes the content, forcing the original posters to upload again (and, thus, forces the user to pay the ransom, if they use PB) - or, track down all of the 'old' users and threaten legal action, yada yada... it won't be too hard to keep 'unhiding' the photos. Option #2 would be orders of magnitude easier than option #1.

On a related (?) topic... one of my favorite Chrome add-ins is 'Removes Taboola' (I hate that organization with a passion, given that they'll slow down Chrome to a crawl continually loading content a la Fakebook / Twitler)

11. jsheahawk

jsheahawk Well-Known Member

Fixed! Nice!

12. Matt

Matt Silver Supporter

Added to my FF, thanks Moose!

Mooseman likes this.
  13. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

Well, looks like PB just screwed us again, like I said they would.

14. Jman423

Jman423 Site Owner Administrator

Admin Post
    As it has been setup now and for the past several months, all attachments that are linked to external sources will be imported to our site and any referencing link will be replaced to represent the local file location. However, I'm not sure if that works with PhotoBucket links. I'm also not certain how it handles external links that existed before we implemented this method.

We prefer that all content is hosted locally on our server to prevent issues like this, and we may move to prevent hot-linking when we upgrade our forum software in the near future.

Mooseman likes this.