First time with Tech 2

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
There is undoubtedly countless threads and a wealth of info here on these devices. I'm fine with reading through all the info that people have spent hours/days on providing to the community.

My question is I just need to be pointed in the right direction to avoid sorting through theeads that may or may not be pertinent to getting started, hopefully this helps others as well.

I just received my clone and needless to say I want to jump right in. I have one 32MB card, and also a laptop with a RS-232 port if that makes it easier.

Do I need to run the tis2000 software?

I assume one 32MB card per vehicle.

I saw the video on the loopback but unsure if that's needed.

Just looking to get started but don't want to overlook anything. I will surely read up on anything recommend.

Sorry if these questions have been asked, I just don't want to brick the unit or damage a PCM, I'll take the scolding from members on simple search functions..:biggrin:... over making an ill-informed decision.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The 32MB card is the firmware, hopefully you have 34.0. It works on every vehicle up to 2013? (cant remember for sure)

And I forgot what vehicle you own. If you own a 2006 and older, I am pretty sure you dont need the Candi module unless you are doing TIS updates/programing. Depending on the truck, 2007 introduced the highspeed CanBus, and thats where the candi module is really used.

Reactions: gmcman

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
My software is 33.004, the two vehicles that will see the most use is the 2012 Yukon and 2002 Envoy.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do I need to run the tis2000 software?
No. When you really need it is to reprogram a module or need security access.

I assume one 32MB card per vehicle.
Nope. It holds the info to work on vehicles up to the year in the particular firmware on the card.

I saw the video on the loopback but unsure if that's needed.
If you mean that little connector with the looped wire, it's just for testing the Tech 2 if the communication works.

I just leave the Candi module connected and it decides if it needs to work on that vehicle or not. With Tis 2000, you will be able to reprogram modules up to 07 (I think), however with the 2012, you will need to buy a subscription to ACDelco TDS. It worked on my 2011 Caprice for that. This is only if you need to reprogram a module. You can access all other functions and diagnostics without any external software or connection.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Judging by the amount of failures and defects I have seen on the web I would suggest running through the self tests to confirm everything works while the purchase is fresh. Even then, there can be failures later. Mine for example cannot use the Candi module due to a failure of TPU 12 & 15. It passed the tests when I got it but I recently discovered the failed TPU selections along with a failure in the level shifters.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
No. When you really need it is to reprogram a module or need security access.

I will eventually want to program a spare PCM for the Envoy.

However I will also want to play with the air suspension settings on the Yukon, will changing the pressure constitute a reprogram? Or is this for a complete vehicle adaptation of a control module?
I would suggest running through the self tests to confirm everything works while the purchase is fresh

That's a good point, I don't want to go past any warranty period then find out.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
However I will also want to play with the air suspension settings on the Yukon, will changing the pressure constitute a reprogram? Or is this for a complete vehicle adaptation of a control module?
No idea. It might not even be adjustable except for the height sensors on the rear arms. Sometimes there are parameters that can be changed when a module is programmed or there might be a menu to make some adjustments. Could be in special functions.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Congratulations on your Purchase...

A Few More On Topic Suggestions:

(1) Whenever performing "In The Vehicle" activities...ALWAYS plug the 12 Volt DC Power Source into a Working Cigar Lighter Outlet AND plug the other end into the Base of the DLC (Data Link Connector) Cable and NOT into the Base of the Tech 2 itself.

(2) Avoid Using the A/C to D/C Power Converter also whenever Programming any Modules or the ECM-PCMs as there can be interruptions caused by AC Noise can creating a Hum on the line that may screw up any Calibration Reads and Writes.

(3) Always ensure that you have a Fully Charged Battery AND a Battery Back-Up Support Pack installed to avoid any drops in DC Power that can also affect your Calibration Reads & Writes.

((4) Unless others have newer information that I somehow missed out on... AFAIK, the LAST PCMCIA Card Programming Level ended with 33.004. If there turns out to be a later version updating its vintage... Whoever knows about this could help us all by pointing to the source for Downloads.

(5) The "Additional Tech 2 Resources" Thread contains Real World Videos of the Tech 2 "In Action" and will be well worth searching-watching the ones relating to things that prompt your curiosity.

(6) The BEST Document available for figuring out precisely WHICH Function Keys and Other Inputs to use in any certain order for Specific Tasks... Download the attached TECH2PATHS.PDF and Save that Thing. You will NOT regret it. The Document is intuitively organized Alphabetically and will become your Next Best Friend while getting your feet wet with the New Tech2.

Attachments

• TECH2 Paths.pdf
    490.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online