First post, question on power steering

Archie6214

Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
TN
Hey guys, I recently purchased an 03 TB LS and have replaced the steering rack. After replacing the steering is hard to turn at low speeds and the wheel doesn't want to return back to center like before. We replaced the rack with a different manufacture and it for better but still not the same as OEM. Its like there needs to be more pressure?? There's no leaks, it has fluid, hoses are new. Please help!

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
if it is the correct rack and all hard parts are in good shape/correct, all I can think that is left is a proper bleeding. When I replaced my pressure line, it took several days and miles to finally get the last of the air out. Just keep the fluid topped up and drive it around, making lots of lock to lock turns. It should clear itself.

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The Bleed Procedures from the manufacturer should have suggested Jacking Up and supporting the Vehicle on Jack Stands and then after ensuring that the Power Steering Fluid was Topped Off.... Cycle the Steering Wheel "From Lock to Lock" turning it slowly and constantly from the absolute Left most Turning Radius to the Right...Completely in the opposite position ...and then back again several times.

After repeating this procedure... Check the Fluid Level in the Power Steering Reservoir to see if the Fluid Level has dropped any. Normally, any remaining air-bound pockets should be completely purged by this action. It is important to perform this procedure when the weight of the Vehicle is NOT on the Tires.

As you turn the Steering Wheel from side to side... Listen carefully to the sounds made by the Power Steering Pump to determine whether or not the Pump itself is struggling... even when it is actuating in an unloaded condition. You might try doing this procedure a half-dozen times, just to be certain no air is left in the lines.

Reactions: Mooseman

Archie6214

Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
TN
It was on a lift in the air during bleeding also have put around 2000 miles on since install. No noise or strain from pump, I remember being able to turn this thing with one finger before replacing the rack. Also at highway speeds the tiny little corrections you make to stay centered in Lane the steering wheel Does not come back to zero, so if you flick the wheel to the right or left it just stays there and doesnt return to zero.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
That sounds more like a problem with Castor and Camber rather than with the Power Steering; especially if it feels like you have that "Driving on Top of an EGG" sensation. Just as in the design of Old Wagon and Buggy Wheels ...In order for ANY vehicle to essentially steer itself in a Straight Line... The tops of both wheels need to be tilted ever so slightly towards one another.

When absolutely "Straight Up and Down" or "Bowed Outwards"... Either Front Wheel will Hunt for a different track, depending upon the Angle of the Road Grade and pull in the Dominant Direction and will only be able to ride Straight and True when the Vehicle is temporarily riding on the very Top of any Road Crest. IIANM The "TOE IN" Angle on our SUVs should be "0". Others may know more and can correct me here on that issue.

Regarding your ability to "Turn the Wheel with a Finger"... That condition cannot be expected when Non-OEM Power Steering Rack Hardware has been installed. FWIW... The Detroit Axle Company sells their Re-Man Units with Lifetime Warranties and with updated Components and care that will rival GM OEM Power Rack and Pinion Steering systems.

I mention this from personal experience with having used several replacement units from them and they in fact DID return that sensation of "Being able to Turn the Wheel with One Finger" in a very satisfactory manner. You might want to visit this link and compare the one you used as a replacement against what they sell and look for any glaring hardware differences to the one you installed:

Last edited:

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
@MRRSM Have you used any of Detroit Axle's other suspension/steering parts?
I was thinking of purchasing one of their control arm & tie rod kits, as they seem to have great reviews.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
@Maverick6587 I didn't get so lucky with the rack and pinion they sent me with a stripped bolt hole for the lines. I did however like how there lower control arms are put together and seem beefier then the moog ones I had replaced. There tie rod ends seem pretty solid as well.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
No... Just several of the Detroit Axle PS-R&P Re-Manned Units... and I fared better than @xavierny25 with each one. I wish it were otherwise with his unfortunate experience. It would NOT shock me if that R&P Unit he purchased was a prior "Return and Re-Stock" Item that slipped by their QA People ...and eventually it would up in his hands. Regardless....it is Not Cool.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online