First look at air filter and throttle body.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I was surprised by this air intake design. Interesting how the w-washer tank doubles as the air filter housing. Is there a big hose clamp missing on the filter side of the flexi-tube? (And any hints about how to service this stuff?)
tb22.JPG

Check out the back side of this throttle body (super dirty.) I wonder if the gasket was leaking.
tb20.JPG

The powdery aluminum is harshing my mellow. Anyone know how to clean up the oxidation and keep it looking nicer?
tb21.JPG

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
That opening in the intake tube, fits into a space in the underside of the airbox cover. This is one of the intake resonators (second one sits on top of the engine) Some of us gut the lid, opening up that extra space, which changes the intake sound ever so slightly.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That TB is nasty. Clean it up with throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush, wipe with a clean rag. Be sure to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to reset the PCM.

If you mean just before the MAF, I don't think there is a clamp there. The hose is permanently glued to it.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
All of the above

Also there's no gasket leaking causing the throttle body to get dirty. It's a by product of the pcv system which introduces oil into the intake.

Reactions: Mooseman

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
All of the above

Also there's no gasket leaking causing the throttle body to get dirty. It's a by product of the pcv system which introduces oil into the intake.

I meant to say that the gasket sealing surface looks so dirty that the gasket might not have been making a good seal.

Last edited:

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
All of the above

Where's the valve? Probably time for a new one. Forgot all about that.
Or maybe there's no valve,,,just googled it.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's just the way the PCV system works. In fact, GM engineers programmed it into the PCM that the throttle would get dirty over time and adjusts the idle accordingly. What throws that off is when you disconnect the battery it will forget how dirty it is and idle like junk. Hence why you have to clean the TB whenever you disconnect the battery.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Where's the valve? Probably time for a new one. Forgot all about that.
Or maybe there is no valve,,,just googled it.

There is no valve. It's a goofy setup. The gasket between the throttle body and the intake is like an o-ring. As long as it's not nicked, it should be good. Just clean the TB very well. I like to spray out the vacuum circuits in the TB and get everything close to spotless. I usually end up having to use a carb cleaner soaked rag to get the throttle plate clean. Your air filter assembly looks fine. If you can see light through the filter (look inside while holding it up) it's supposedly still "good". I blow mine out with compressed air any time I open the air box. Also, don't forget to disconnect your battery (or pull PCM fuse) while cleaning the throttle body. It resets what the computer has "learned" about the dirty throttle body.

WeaponX

Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
What I did was take one of those wire brushes that go on the end of the drill and ran it all around the TB to get all the corrosion Off then I sprayed it with clear engine enamel and it looks great! I’ll get pics and post them for u

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online