First car (GMC Envoy)

Envoy99

Original poster
Feb 26, 2019
East Coast
This is gonna be a long one

I’m 19 years old and a year ago I was not into cars at all. Ever since I started driving I have had the absolute worst luck with cars to the point that it completely ruined the fun of driving and owning a car. I purchased my first car (a 2006 GMC envoy XL) last July after looking at cars for months. It had a leather interior third row sunroof hitch (all things that are important to me) and it felt great when I test drove it. Anyways, to make a very very long story short I had it 2 days and the front differential took a crap and the dealership I bought it from took months to fix it. After driving around a bunch of different cars the dealership lent me I finally got it back and took a trip with my girlfriend to ocean city and ever since then have had a million problems but I’ve been able to solve most of them. I’ve put around 10,000 miles on it since I got it back in october and have done everything I am supposed to do I baby it and do all the regular maintainance and despite a few issues I am finally starting to enjoy it. Like I said I am by no means a “car guy” but I’m learning a lot as I go along and have been browsing trailvoy (which seems dead) and this forum for awhile looking at different modifications and such and I’d like to get into doing some myself, as well as just learning about cars in general. I’ve taken countless road trips up and down the east coast and have had some amazing times with it so far. Hoping to have many more.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Welcome to the forum! :tiphat:

I started out on here the same as you, didn't know much about cars except where to put gas and how to change out a radio, and wanted to learn more. Hung around, paid attention to what other people were posting and picked up a lot along the way. 9 years later, I'm still here and they haven't kicked me out yet (they did on Trailvoy though :rolleyes:)

Hopefully your maintenance bug will grow, but you manage to keep your mod bug in check. 👍

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Welcome! :biggrin:

I'm originally from the Frederick area and joined here when I was just 18. I grew up watching my dad do brakes, oil changes, and the occasional engine swap, but I was clueless about anything else.
Over 5 years later, I've done a hell of a lot more I probably never should have lol. Transmission work, wiring, lift kit, a/c, and the list goes on. There's a lot of wisdom to be gained here if you have the drive to learn.

These are great little trucks to learn how to mechanic on. I don't know where you're located in Maryland, but "Crazy Rays" in Mt. Airy is an excellent cheap resource for used parts for this platform. They stay well stocked with 360/370s, more so than any other yard I've ever been to.

Envoy99

Original poster
Feb 26, 2019
East Coast
Welcome! :biggrin:

I'm originally from the Frederick area and joined here when I was just 18. I grew up watching my dad do brakes, oil changes, and the occasional engine swap, but I was clueless about anything else.
Over 5 years later, I've done a hell of a lot more I probably never should have lol. Transmission work, wiring, lift kit, a/c, and the list goes on. There's a lot of wisdom to be gained here if you have the drive to learn.

These are great little trucks to learn how to mechanic on. I don't know where you're located in Maryland, but "Crazy Rays" in Mt. Airy is an excellent cheap resource for used parts for this platform. They stay well stocked with 360/370s, more so than any other yard I've ever been to.
Yeah, I’ve heard of Crazy Rays I’ll have to check them out sometime soon

Thanks for the advice!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the Nation! You're in the right place to learn. We were all in your shoes at one time (and for some of us, that was a long time ago!). When I started on this platform, I was basically starting from almost nothing so I asked the questions, searched and learned, and still learning today.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Always a satisfying feeling tinkering on your own stuff! Welcome aboard man!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.