Firewall hole making

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I have several electronics that I needed to run through the firewall but never knew where a good spot would be to go thru or possibly drill. So as of right now they are all running thru driver door into fender. I know this isn't safe or very attractive so I was wondering if any of you knew of a decent sized opening or a good spot to drill. I'm going to be adding a few more things soon so I wanted to be able to wire those the right way the first time and fix the rest of them. If any of you have any advice/pics I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
What are you adding now?

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Hotness said:
Thanks. I'm adding some light wiring for future light installs.

Roof lights or front grill lights?

If you adding roof lights then you can drill the roof under the front end of the rack rails. Add a couple of rubber grommets to protect the wire and bring everything into the plastic cap on the front of the rack. That is how I ran mine and haven't had any issues at all. I can show you here in a couple weeks.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I need to take a look too. I may toss a couple long range lights up there soon.

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Im wiring for front grill and roof. And for a set in a secret location :smile:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Hotness said:
Im wiring for front grill and roof. And for a set in a secret location :smile:

I am sure we can get you set up. I have plenty of experience running wire on these trucks, I would be glad to give you a hand.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
WooHoo Rock lights and hatch lights!

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i go in to the right of the main firewall grommet (from the inside) and use a screw down grommet like this

View attachment 17164

I'll try to remember to grab a pic later

Attachments

• 21AVYQ7G2DL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    21AVYQ7G2DL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 69

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
jimmyjam said:
i go in to the right of the main firewall grommet (from the inside) and use a screw down grommet like this

View attachment 1484

I'll try to remember to grab a pic later

yes this is what i want, a pic would be great. I have a lot of wires and just want to make a new hole for it all. Where do you buy those at, and what size did you use?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
through my firewall i am running 0ga and i got that along with my wire here (scroll to the bottom)

I also have one under the driver seat that I run the wire for my exhaust cutout through, as well as one by the rear for rearview camera. Those are smaller ones that I had gotten with some water tight outdoor florescent fixtures, they are liquid tight romex connectors. you may be able to find them at an electrical supply store.

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thank you those are perfect. So if I drill right next to the main grommet I should be ok? If u could snap a picture that would ease my mind a little

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
You could get some shrink tubing and throw it over the grommet, run your wires and heat the tubing to shrink and hold the wires in place, giving it a factory look :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online