Firestone Destination LE2 vs Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
I really love the Firstones tires - I had them on a 96 Yukon. The Firestone Destination LE2 are about $134 each on TireRack for my 02 Envoy. But I'm wondering if there is any better suggestion? The only other ones I'm really considering are Bridgestone - Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia which are $144 each from Costco.

The reason for new tires is that I might be keeping the Envoy after all and it needs new tires. Currently it has very old Falkens that don't have much tread and are giving me trouble. The front drivers one needed to be patched and the front passenger tire cracked right at the edge so it could not be patched so now I have a used tire that doesn't match the rest on there until I can afford the new tires.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Only Firestone I've ever driven on was the transforce series. Was not a fan either, very soft sidewalls and down right terrifying in the rain. I know people that have the le2 and like them a lot. As of now, all 4 vehicles have Hankook dynapro HTs on them and I don't really have any complaints. Reasonable grip wet weather performance and tread life seems good. I have heard good things about the bridgestones too.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would do the Firestone for sure

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
The reason I love the Firestone Destination LE2 is because that 96 Yukon was my first vehicle after getting my license and of course I was not really a great driver at the time, and I had to do a crazy emergency maneuver to avoid rear ending a Corolla at 70mph and those tires dealt with it really well. I honestly don't think there is any other reason I didn't wreck the Yukon and somebody else's car that day.

I saw the Hankooks as well but I'm a little worried about not having a name brand tire honestly. I think I'll get the Firestones unless somebody chimes in super negatively between now and when I can afford them.

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
I run Hankook Dynapro HP2 RA33 (available for your truck too if I'm not mistaken) and they are very good. Silent, good grip in rain. Would be perfect for Bay Area if you don't do any offroading with the Envoy.

The Hankook brand definitely is an established name brand. Maybe not that much in the US (yet?) but definitely so here in Europe. After all, having your tires as OEM on S-Class Mercs is quite something I'd say...

The company name might evoke some chinese shit brands names but it's a big difference.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I have the Destination LE2 on my TB and really like them, so much so, I got a set for my wife's Rav4.

Having said that, I'm not getting them next time because I've now got a lift and will run bigger tyres with a spacer, but Firestone's will still be on the short list.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hankook has been around for over 50 years, 7th largest tire company now and if they get the facility in TN finished they should be 5th largest I guess. I would call that name brand

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Can't speak to the models of Dueler but the set I had years back wore even and well. Quiet. Sucked balls in snow / ice.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Another vote for the Firestones. I've had two sets on two different vehicles, including the 'Voy, and would purchase them again. They're definitely an on-road tire; if you do any kind of off-roading, take a look at the A/T version of the Destinations. Same basic goodness - just a little bit noisier on pavement - but they definitely give the vehicle a rugged look to go along with the extra grip.

Many times Firestone issues a 25% off deal on their tires - I know the OP can't wait too long, especially with winter coming - but many times, the shop will let you know that a sale is coming up. At least mine does. The other advantage (to me) is that you get lifetime rotations - so my time spent crawling underneath to change oil is effectively over, once I put a set on a vehicle. Although trust tends to be an issue with me - I'm always more fastidious with my vehicles' maintenance than a shop is. Given that I torque my drain plugs, I think I can say that with some measure of confidence. :book:

Ecopia - I had a similar tire from Bridgestone that predated the Ecopia series, which is a Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tire. The set I had were OEM on a Civic hybrid, and they were awful in the wet - especially snow. Wound up getting dedicated snows for that car; the first time I ever did that (the snows were also Bridgestones - Blizzaks - and I feared no storm after those were on the car). I'm not really a fan of the Ecopia line for that reason. Besides the Blizzaks, I had a set of Potenzas on a roadster I used to have (also OEM), and that car was tracked / thrashed mercilessly - never an issue with them. So Bridgestone would be a second choice for me - but I'd personally avoid a LRR tire. If I'm driving a 5.3L Voy, I'm not too worried about wringing out the last 1/10th MPG, as I drive pretty efficiently to begin with (see: hybrid, above)

Not all LRR tires are bad - I've had LRR Michelins, and liked them (although many other people did not).

Hankook - I've not had any of these, but from what I hear, they get some respect from people who own them. I used to think 'cheap chinese crap' as well - but I think (?) they're actually based in S. Korea - ? Too lazy to go verify at the moment... :coffee:

If you haven't checked out Tire Rack's site, I strongly recommend some time spent over there checking out their tire ratings section. Some great data there - and you can even focus on people with GMTs who purchased the tires you're interested in, who've supplied their own impressions with those same tires.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I put the Destination LE2s on my Trailblazer about 18 months before I sold it. I liked those tires a lot. Really good in the snow.

I put Yokohama Geolander AT/S on my Sierra back in May. So far they are an excellent tire. Seems to be better in the rain than the Destination LE were. In few months I'll be able to speak to to their performance in the snow.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Hankook has been around for over 50 years, 7th largest tire company now and if they get the facility in TN finished they should be 5th largest I guess. I would call that name brand
Yeah they are the OEM tires on my wife's Nox with the optional 19" wheels,I was surprised to see that...Mike

I just put these on my Envoy and don't have much time on them but, they are quiet, pretty and highly rated.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=2007&autoModel=Envoy Denali 4wd&autoModClar=

Last edited:

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Another vote for the Firestones. I've had two sets on two different vehicles, including the 'Voy, and would purchase them again. They're definitely an on-road tire; if you do any kind of off-roading, take a look at the A/T version of the Destinations. Same basic goodness - just a little bit noisier on pavement - but they definitely give the vehicle a rugged look to go along with the extra grip.

I have not ever moved the 4x4 switch from 2HI on the Envoy since owning it and that's not going to change as I'm either keeping it or selling it to my boyfriend and neither of us do much off-road (and I have the 77 Suburban for that) my point is more MPG and less road noise is more important than "All Terrain" capability. I do care about wet/rain traction but that's it - no snow or mud.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I have not ever moved the 4x4 switch from 2HI on the Envoy since owning it and that's not going to change as I'm either keeping it or selling it to my boyfriend and neither of us do much off-road (and I have the 77 Suburban for that) my point is more MPG and less road noise is more important than "All Terrain" capability. I do care about wet/rain traction but that's it - no snow or mud.
Knowing that, you would really like these....
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=2007&autoModel=Envoy Denali 4wd&autoModClar=

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online