Firearms

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Really different guns and their parts need different kinds of lube to work best. CLP works great on most stuff. On the semi auto you show. I would clean it and oil or CLP every time you shoot it and it should be fine. If you shoot hundreds and hundreds before cleaning, please don't. But, if that's you a grease will work better on the slide. lightly applied. I use CLP mostly and where needed use a grease. I will shoot 50 to several hundred at a time. I always clean a gun after shooting it. The photo shows copper build up in the barrel. I keep copper cleaned out as much as possible. For that shooters choice will work. Other cleaners work good also. Look for a product that will remove copper fouling not all gun cleaning solvents do that. Kind of a trick about applying a lube or grease. Put it on your finger and wipe a small amount onto the surface. If your finger cannot get to the part. Put it on a Qtip and apply. When spraying or dripping stuff onto the gun you will get to much on or in it and just need to wipe a lot off.

Yeah that was after I had shot about 30 rounds of old cheap shit I had. Shot about 50 of decent stuff a few days ago and cleaned it up afterwards. Oiled it between the two times but didn't deep-clean. Clean as a whistle now though and oiled up. Thanks for the input, guys.

PS: holsters are a bitch to pick out for this gun and being left hand dominate narrows the choices ten fold. Set on going with aliengear once I try on my brothers holster with this gun. Seem to have the best options for left hand carry. Really debating on IWB only or going for their IWB + OWB combo bundle at a discount. $50ish for IWB only or $70ish for IWB+OWB. I know IWB would be my preferred mode of carry for public but the OWB is real nice as well but don't see myself using it daily like I would the IWB.

Last edited:

Moore

Sep 8, 2016
Oregon
Your doing good by getting metal sights. I got a glock 26 not long ago. They all come with plastic sights. I got a groove across the top before even going to the range. It's a work gun so night sights where on it before work. Glock makes metal rear sights for around 20 bucks but, puts 5 dollar plastic ones on them.

Reactions: Mounce

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
The gun I would LEAST like to carry? That's easy - the Hollywood Sig P320.

The reason why I call it a "Hollywood" is simple; in every Hollywood movie, when you drop a gun on the ground, it goes off on its own.

The P320 is one of the first that this actually happens in real life.

Sig designed the P320 with two intentions: to make it cheap, and make it "not-a-Glock." They wanted to win the contract for the U.S. military modular handgun contract, and they succeeded. They underbid second-place finisher Glock by $100 million (in a $600 million contract) and cut so many corners and tried to hard to differentiate this economy piece of shit from the Glock that they refused to put a trigger tab safety on it. Drop it on the ground and it WILL go off. They have also refused to recall this piece of junk and offer only a "voluntary recall." As big a fan as I am of Sig handguns, Sig figuratively (and perhaps almost literally) shot themselves in the foot over this one.

As for the one gun I would have if I could only have one gun, I just unpacked the very first production model of the highly-anticipated Remington 870DM (detachable magazine) shotgun yesterday shipped to Canada. I am liking it so far.

Ask me again when I have 1000 rounds through it in testing.

Should be round about two months from now.

Until I saw this Remington, I always thought detachable magazines were a solution looking for a problem. I felt they would only appeal to three-gun shooters with their "reloading contests" and who were previously willing to tinker with and deal with the idiosyncrasies of their junk, third-world-made box mag shotguns, that NEVER seemed to work reliably.

All that might change.

With the advent of the patrol carbine that is in the front seat of nerly every police car in Canada, I am beginning to see the advantages.

One magazine with slugs (for bears), one magazine with bearbangers for polar bear country and one magazine with buckshot for predators smaller (and slower) than a 40 MPH 1200-pound polar bear.
Remington 870DM Urbino 14-inch.jpg

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Speaking of drop fire, I've read that taurus had that issue but have corrected it. Absolutely love my taurus millennium g2 pt111 9mm. Hasn't once given me an issue, 300 or so rounds through it, mostly target practice and 15 or so varmint use and it's done absolutely awesome.

The aftermarket is few and far between but there's one solid supplier of parts/mods, Lake line llc.

Either way, super affordable and super reliable. I recommend it if you're on a budget. I feel confident and protected with it on me/in my vehicle loaded up with 150gr Federal HST.

Also @ my last post in this thread... Went with IWB only and it works out pretty well. It's always on me when I'm out. Challenging to find a comfortable not-obvious position on a fat boy like myself but it works and is secure and concealed. People only notice if they know I have it. Others are surprised when they find out I'm carrying.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
As for the one gun I would have if I could only have one gun, I just unpacked the very first production model of the highly-anticipated Remington 870DM (detachable magazine) shotgun yesterday shipped to Canada. I am liking it so far.

Man, I wish this was available in 20ga. Give it time, I guess. S&W eventually issued a M&P AR clone, so one would figure an 20ga 870 DM would be in the works at some point.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Last time at the range, the instructor brought out a good point. Although the carbine is a really good weapon, there's still nothing like having a shotgun loaded with Federal 9 pellet loads with a super tight grouping. How long does it take to shoot 9 rounds from the carbine compared to one with 9 pellets from the SG? It's still a really effective weapon.

Used to have the H&K MP5 9mm semi-auto. Now that's a fun little gun and extremely reliable. It would be broken and still fire. It's only after you took it apart for cleaning you found out it was broken. Been a long time since I shot it though but I liked it a lot. Was also very easy to convert to full auto temporarily :biggrin:

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
LOL. Love the MP5 and that was a great story. I also know the trick, and had some fun over the years firing full-auto in the basement of D Div.

Coincidentally, I took apart to clean my two training 870 shotguns yesterday ... and guess what; they were BOTH broken. (Not surprising when you consider they both have over 10,000 rounds through them.) On one, the action bar broke clean off the forend tube. It fractured right at the weld. Never seen that before.

On the other, the ejector sprig was completely missing. It had snapped off at the rivet head and flew off sometime during the training session the day before. The most remarkable part? Both kept working. Much like your MP5, I would not have known about the broken pieces if I hadn't taken them apart.

Remington designed in some fail-safe systems into the 870 many decades ago. One of the reasons why that action bar fractured was that I often use that training shotgun to demonstrate what happens if a shooter does not push the shell fully into the tube and it pops back out and gets caught under the bolt. I show the students how Remington added what they called the Flexi-tab lifter about 25 years ago, and how one can clear an almost-impossible-to-clear jam by holding the action release and "mortaring" the shotgun on the ground. It is hard on the shotgun but is better than getting shot or eaten. A lot of people today have no idea why the 870 has that U-shaped slot cut into the middle of the shell lifter. That half-inch slot can save your life some day.

Boy there were some smart designers at HK and Remington years ago. (I hope they are just as good today!)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Although I don't shoot the MP5 anymore, I shot it a lot from '87 to '01. I could pick one up today and know how to use it without thinking. In fact, I recognize the same ones being issued today since they are the older ones with the metal stippling barrel grip instead of the newer ones with plastic smooth grip. It's been in production since 1966 and still is today. Now that says a lot.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
H&K sure know how to make some great firearms.

Reactions: Mooseman

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I agree, but the Colt Canada 5.56mm carbine with the Aimpoint sight that now rides in the front seat of most police cars in Canada is a great acquisition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capote and Mooseman

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I agree, but the Colt Canada 5.56mm carbine with the Aimpoint sight that now rides in the front seat of most police cars in Canada is a great acquisition.
Lord knows I love my AR15, shame I haven't been able to shoot it in quite a long time. There's just no ranges long enough around here. I don't know anyone with proerty suitable to shoot it at, that is outside any city limits. Real shame, this is quite a nice AR too. I still have plenty of .223 & 5.56 ammo stored, heck I have a box of 1000rds of 5.56 still un-opened.

Reactions: xavierny25

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You need to get your rounds up to about 10,000 per caliber!

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
You need to get your rounds up to about 10,000 per caliber!
If I had some property you sure bet I would. Big reason I haven't invested in another AR in .308 or bought an AK. I am looking for an EDC pistol. My Makarov sits in center console. The Taurus PT111 is a good choice, but I want something with more punch like a 40 s&w. I check J&G sales often for good deals.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I finally did an inventory over the winter. I need more ammo, but was pleasantly surprised with the overall collection. Only a couple small wants really...suppressor, .22 pistol, and a semi-auto shotty.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I finally did an inventory over the winter. I need more ammo, but was pleasantly surprised with the overall collection. Only a couple small wants really...suppressor, .22 pistol, and a semi-auto shotty.
JGsales.com has some nicely priced semi-auto shotguns.

Reactions: Redbeard

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Considering I just got my instructor cert for rifle and working on shotgun and pistol my firearm collection will build. Some of the instructor discounts are great.

Reactions: Capote

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Wondering how this forum is so privileged to have *two* Canuck handgunners (I know Chickenhawk has a close association with LE) Was always led to believe anything but a long gun was rare as hen's teeth over there (and every time I cross, I'm always asked if I have firearms or weapons.) Incidentally, it took me about 3min to satisfy the BC agent on the Canadian side a week or so ago. It took 3x that long to get back into the US - at the same crossing.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
How do the gun laws in Canada differ here from the U.S.?

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Lots of handgunners in Canada. Owners tend to be low-profile and there is no such thing as open-carry and it is very very rare to be allowed concealed carry if you are not a LEO, but we have a long history of excellence in handgun shooting sports. You have to be pretty dedicated anyway.

Handguns and the AR-pattern rifles are known as "restricted firearms" in Canada. This means that they can only be fired at shooting ranges, and they can only be transported with a permit going from one specified location to another. (For example, from your home to a gun club and back again.)

To possess any firearm in Canada, you need to have a licence. This is known as a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL). You apply for one much like a passport, and renew it every five years. You need photo, references and a background check. You are also required to report mental health issues and there is mandatory notification to your spouse. To get a PAL, one must complete a two-day safety course called the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and pass both a written and a practical (hands-on) test with 80% or higher.

And that's just for non-restricted firearms such as rifles and shotguns.

To obtain restricted firearms such as handguns, you need to complete all of the above, plus be a member of a gun club, and complete a second training course called the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC) and pass a second set of written and practical tests with a score of 80% or higher. (There is no live-fire requirement however.)

We actually like things like mandatory safety training -- you only need to complete it once; not every five years -- and the CFSC and CRFSC are seen as probably the best firearms safety training courses in the world. We get to buy and use pretty much anything we want except for most military-style semi-auto rifles like the AK47 or short-barrelled handguns. We also get some unusual stuff that is harder to get in the U.S., such as short-barrelled shotguns. As long as it is not manufactured shorter than 26-inches overall, I can buy a pump shotgun with a barrel as short as 9-inches. (We just can't CUT barrels to less than 18-inches on a pump shotgun, but can certainly own them with barrels much shorter than that if that's how they came from the factory.)

Aside from a few just-plain-silly laws, most Canadians are supportive of our existing gun laws and supportive of mandatory safety training. We average between 1000 and 1200 deaths through firearms every year in Canada. If you subtract the 80% that are suicides and the 5% that are accidents, that means our homicide rate with firearms runs somewhere around 150 to 200 deaths in the whole country in an average year. Gun accidents are a rarity too.

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
It is - and that's all I will say about that, as I know politics aren't really discussed here (there are other sites I can go to for that, so no loss)

Thank you for the detailed post and the insight. Most appreciated, and I wasn't expecting it. :tiphat: :Lager Louts: :grouphug:

(on edit: just realized you were responding to Capote, not to me directly)

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I really want one of these. I borrowed one for several months and miss it.

benelli_m4_4_1920x10801.jpg

This is likely the first .22 cal pistol i will own and likely the next purchase. 30 rounds of .22 mag would just be nice to have as a carry at the farm.
73720223.jpg

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Does anyone have a Mossberg Maverick 88? Or have you fired one? I am looking at purchasing one soon.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
So I went out and picked up the Maverick 88 12GA.
2018-06-16 18.21.33.jpg
Of course had to buy some stuff to go with it.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I had one of those for awhile, but it now lives with another member from here actually. It was the shorter barrela nd had a regular and pistol grip stock setup though. Nice shooter.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Yeah, this will likely get a pistol grip with collapsible stock so that my younger one can actually get behind that thing.

Also looking at building an AR soon too.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I got two kits to build when I find time. Already got a couple done so the push to just get em done is not as strong as the...lets make them custom so no rush. Find bits and pieces I like here and there to swap in when the time comes.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, this will likely get a pistol grip with collapsible stock so that my younger one can actually get behind that thing.

Also looking at building an AR soon too.
What caliber your build going to be?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Good choice with the barrel. I don't know why people are so off to using pencil barrels. Those myths of them bending and staggeringly lowering accuracy at long range, with a lot of sustained fire have been debunked many times.
I've read some people had issues with any type of polymer or fiber components in the trigger group/lower reciever. That Carbon Fiber NewFrontier lower looks more durable than my polymer lower though. Mine is a first generation ATI Omni has a crack near the rear takedown pin. I have to be careful during dissasembly sadly. Poly and other material lowers and uppers have come quite a long way in durability since then.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Good choice with the barrel. I don't know why people are so off to using pencil barrels. Those myths of them bending and staggeringly lowering accuracy at long range, with a lot of sustained fire have been debunked many times.
I've read some people had issues with any type of polymer or fiber components in the trigger group/lower reciever. That Carbon Fiber NewFrontier lower looks more durable than my polymer lower though. Mine is a first generation ATI Omni has a crack near the rear takedown pin. I have to be careful during dissasembly sadly. Poly and other material lowers and uppers have come quite a long way in durability since then.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The carbon fiber lower, that upper and BCG puts my core build at just over $550. I may have to buy a couple of magazines until I can find my box that I have had stored with about 10 or 12 aluminum mags.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
The carbon fiber lower, that upper and BCG puts my core build at just over $550. I may have to buy a couple of magazines until I can find my box that I have had stored with about 10 or 12 aluminum mags.
I really like the Magpul Pmags. I have a ton of aluminum ones from when I was in the Army, never had any feed issues with the tan follower, general issue ones. The green follower ones were absolute trash. Really only seen those when I was in basic, those would of gotten soldiers killed in combat with all the feed issues they caused.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Got my uppers for the builds that I am working on. I have to go pick up my lowers here in a bit.

2018-07-05 12.50.15.jpg2018-07-05 12.50.31.jpg2018-07-05 12.51.49.jpg2018-07-05 12.57.54.jpg2018-07-05 12.59.16.jpg2018-07-05 12.59.37.jpg2018-07-05 13.17.29.jpg

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Got two of my lowers in and completed the builds that I am currently working on.

2018-07-09 22.26.17.jpg
The 5.56

2018-07-09 22.29.12.jpg
The AR15-22

2018-07-09 22.33.14.jpg

Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online