Firearms

DucatiSS

Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
I just wanted to start a thread for those that like the smell of powder in the morning. :woohoo:

Pictures, articles, reloading tips, long range tips, personal equipment reviews.

Lets talk :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Love the smell of gunpowder. Hoping to get a dead bambi or 3 next weekend with the old shotty

DucatiSS

Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
I just picked up a 24" bushy complete upper w/ heavy barrel 2 weeks ago. I also just bought the spikes tactical "Zombie" lower. (I love the live and dead instead of safe and fire) I am wanting to build it as a varmint/target/Zombie gun. I tried out the Geiselle 2 stage trigger in the shop so I will probably use it. Next thing is the adjustable stock, good bipod, and probably a Millett scope.

Attachments

• zombie lower.jpg
    zombie lower.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 852
Reactions: triz

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Got a complete lower that is crying to get an upper.

DucatiSS

Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
I already have a custom built 16" M-4, but I wanted a long range "look" , plus if I dont get the Zombies @ 300 yards, I have backup for when they get closer. :biggrin:

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
I actually just started getting into handguns, I own a SIG 2340 barreled at .357 and My grandfather handed down to me his S&W Model 66. It is a CPD commemerative for 125 Years I'll post some pics but i'm always looking to buy sell or trade ***not the 66 though***:raspberry:

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
I've come upon the realization that the third lower I just got is going to be a .458 SOCOM... Already have a 24" match rifle, and a 16" midlength...

I came upon this realization while tearing my muzzle loader completely down last night after deer hunting in the rain (successfully, BTW) Sunday morning... Hunt in the rain all day with an AR, and you just throw it in the the corner and it waits until next time...

Mike

Fishhunter911

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
I am looking to purchase for the intent to CCW a Springfield XD 40 in the near future. :biggrin:

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Fishhunter911 said:
I am looking to purchase for the intent to CCW a Springfield XD 40 in the near future. :biggrin:

Make sure it's the Subcompact if you want to CCW it... I carry an XD45 Compact 4" daily, in a Comp-Tac M-Tac IWB holster, and it doesn't print in a T-shirt... It will print, however, if I put the full length mag/X-tension in it...

Mike

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think an XD will likely be my next pistol, but want to upgrade or add a couple long guns first.

Fishhunter911

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Bartonmd said:
Make sure it's the Subcompact if you want to CCW it... I carry an XD45 Compact 4" daily, in a Comp-Tac M-Tac IWB holster, and it doesn't print in a T-shirt... It will print, however, if I put the full length mag/X-tension in it...

Mike

Great info Mike. I was thinking of the Compact. I am not familiar with the Comp-Tac holster though. I will look into it for sure.

EDIT: Just looked it up... Fantastic piece! I think you have just made up my mind on which Holster I will get. Thanks Mike!

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Fishhunter911 said:
Great info Mike. I was thinking of the Compact. I am not familiar with the Comp-Tac holster though. I will look into it for sure.

EDIT: Just looked it up... Fantastic piece! I think you have just made up my mind on which Holster I will get. Thanks Mike!

Oh yeah! I love the holster! Not only does a 4", 10-rd 45ACP not print in a T-shirt, it's secure enough that I can run across a parking lot or whatever without having my hand on it... And it's comfortable enough that I can almost forget I'm carrying...

Mike

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bartons setup is nice and I have seen him work for hrs with it and it never seemed to bother him.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Bartons setup is nice and I have seen him work for hrs with it and it never seemed to bother him.

I agree. Last summer during High Voltages lift meet one of the attendees caught site of it when Mike was welding on Jeff's sliders. He gasped and said something along the lines of "I can't believe he has a gun on". I just laughed and told him that if that bothered him he was certainly at the wrong house. I figure at least 75% of us were armed. :rotfl:

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Regulator said:
I agree. Last summer during High Voltages lift meet one of the attendees caught site of it when Mike was welding on Jeff's sliders. He gasped and said something along the lines of "I can't believe he has a gun on". I just laughed and told him that if that bothered him he was certainly at the wrong house. I figure at least 75% of us were armed. :rotfl:

LOL, that was pretty funny! The humor of being next door to the only state left in the United States to not allow concealed carry...

Yeah, I work and do just about everything (outside of my 8-5) with it on... With the right holster and the right weapon, it's not a problem at all...

Mike

Fishhunter911

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
LOL. I find it funny when people respond like that... The OH SHIT look in great.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I currently carry a Glock 17 (full frame 9mm) with 17 round extended mag and a back up 17 rounder. I am looking to move into a Glock 22 (mid frame .40) just trying to find a decent deal and have the money at the same time. It seems like when I have the money they are to expensive and when I find a deal I have no money.

In the rifle cabinet... Anschutz competition .22, a Remington model 700 .300, and a Winchester semi-auto shotgun. The next purchase will be a short barrel tactical shotgun for home defense.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
European police trade-ins... Which means they really only have qualification rounds through them! (though they do have some holster wear)

Glock 22 .40 - $369 - Glock 22 .40cal Handgun

Glock 27 Subcompact 40 - $399 - Glock 27 .40cal Handgun

Having said that, I got my XD45C brand new, for $450, said and done... Found it from a place in Ohio, and shipped it to my dad, so no FFL fee...

Mike

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Great price. I have never bought online before, how do I get around the FFL requirement?

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Regulator said:
Great price. I have never bought online before, how do I get around the FFL requirement?

You either have it shipped to your local gun shop and pay them $20 to transfer it, or you have it shipped to my dad, and pay him nothing to transfer it, and pick it up (and do the NICS check) when you're down here...

Mike

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Cool, thanks for the assistance. This will have to wait until after the first of the year, need to get through the holidays first. Christmas for 3 kids pretty well wipes out all available money.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Christmas for any number of kids can easily wipe out available money.

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
I carry a Makarov 9x18 concealed in a Task nylon waistband holster, but my issued Glock 21 fits that holster too, it's just too heavy to carry comfortably. As for rifles I have a Colt A2 Sporter HBAR Match that I used on-duty until they issued me an M-16. I also use an SKS for hunting, it's a good brush gun, I have a 5 round block in the magazine that keeps it legal. I have a model Remington 700 in .222 with a Weaver 9x7 scope for the longer shots. Various other rifles and shotguns. My next acquisition will be a Saiga 12 gauge.:wink:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I got a soft spot for the Saiga 12. One day it will happen.

Flyersguy

Nov 21, 2011
I own a XD9 hi capacity. LOVE IT! Best gun ive ever shot. Next on my list is either the Beretta CX9 Storm or Bushmaster AR-15.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Here's one of mine when it was freshly assembled. It's changed a little bit.

IMAG0346.jpg

Also, reloading FTW...

IMG_20111023_152750.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would like to get into reloading.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Bartonmd said:
LOL, that was pretty funny! The humor of being next door to the only state left in the United States to not allow concealed carry...

Mike

Its almost impossible to get a CCW in Maryland. You either have to be active/retired LEO, be able to prove your life is in jeopardy, or have a need for work. Unless it has changed, Maryland does not recognize any other states permits. What a wonderful place to live. Fortunately I fall in to one of the allowed categories.:cool:

AND WHO THE HELL GAVE DUCATTI A GUN??????

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
OK, that's it! I'm getting a .458 SOCOM upper! I am DONE tearing a hunting ML completely down every time I sit in the rain in a tree stand!

Mike

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Build me one too.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Build me one too.

They're not really a "build" item... They're a "buy the complete upper from Rock River Arms for $750 or the full rifle for $1100"... I think they're the only place still selling them... There were 4-5 small places making them for Teppo Jutsu for over $1k for the uppers, but couldn't keep up, so they had Rock River start mass-producing them, and the others quit, I think...

Starline makes new brass for them, though, and the bullets are just 45/70 bullets, so they're reloadable for about $0.55/round... Of course, Redding dies will run me around $90 2-Die Set 458 SOCOM (though Lee makes a set for $31)...

Mike

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Good to know. I think I will try to trade the Eclipse for one since I traded a measly shotgun for it. Be a nice step up!

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Good to know. I think I will try to trade the Eclipse for one since I traded a measly shotgun for it. Be a nice step up!

Given the mileage difference between the Eclipse and your TB (not to mention tire wear, etc), you'll probably be money ahead to just buy one, rather than trade your cheap mileage for one... I know that the difference between the mileage of our TB (which gets better mileage than yours) and the Cruze makes the $220 payment on the Cruze every month...

Mike

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bartonmd said:
Given the mileage difference between the Eclipse and your TB (not to mention tire wear, etc), you'll probably be money ahead to just buy one, rather than trade your cheap mileage for one... I know that the difference between the mileage of our TB (which gets better mileage than yours) and the Cruze makes the $220 payment on the Cruze every month...

Mike

Now Now...Dont be using common sense with me

I will keep a DD, but not thrilled with eclipse and it would be great to say I traded a shotty and got a SOCOM for it. I just looking at something w CC and nicer if I get out a bit further and have more of a commute. I NEED a garge/building/shop!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My favorite wedding present...
sr9.jpg

Reactions: Torker

DucatiSS

Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
Ghoster said:
Its almost impossible to get a CCW in Maryland. You either have to be active/retired LEO, be able to prove your life is in jeopardy, or have a need for work.

Same here in Riverside Co. California is considered a "shall issue" state, however the police chief or the sheriff is the one that determines if you really need it. I have toyed with the idea, however I am thinking that all the stars have to be perfectly aligned for it to happen.

Ghoster said:
AND WHO THE HELL GAVE DUCATI A GUN??????

Oh, I have a couple...:wowfaint:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.