Find a G80 for the rear end or do an aftermarket upgrade like Powertrax, etc...?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hi All,
The 2002 Envoy 4x4 is still running perfectly after the PCM was replaced. Almost 3000 miles now. All is good. Now that I will be keeping it I'm thinking of upgrading the rear differential. It is currently the stock 3:42 GU6.

So...a few questions....Did they make the G80 in a 3;42 ratio? If not, would an aftermarket limited slip type of set up like a Powertrax be compatible? Or just swap my ring to a pull a part G80? I am trying to be able to keep from changing out my front differential. If I did convert the rear end to the G80 and was able to keep my 3;42 gearing would I have to recalibrate the PCM for the G80 differential or the limited slip type of modification?

I'm aware that if I can just swap out my ring to keep my existing ratio, that it's a fairly complicated procedure to set up correctly so would take to a differential shop for the set up.

Thanks for any input all. Cam

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
G80 G42 axles are plenty out there. My Envoy has one. Its a direct swap, no computer calibration needed.

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did they make the G80 in a 3;42 ratio?
Yes they did. My 02 EXT had one in a 8.6". You can swap one of those in without any other modifications at all. Would be more reliable than the stock 8.0".

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Yes, I put one in my 02 years ago. Was still going strong when I got rid of it last year.

Reactions: Mooseman

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Yes they did. My 02 EXT had one in a 8.6". You can swap one of those in without any other modifications at all. Would be more reliable than the stock 8.0".
Was the EXT the only model with the 8.6"? Or did the Standard also come with an 8.6" depending on the build?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
What about the PowerTrax type of upgrades as opposed to a GM G80 Axle swap?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
5.3 V8 got them too but are harder to locate compared to EXT/XL. Your 02 can use a diff from any year. The ones from 06 to 09 will have extra sensors at the tube ends for ABS but you can leave them disconnected.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online