Finally getting tired of no AC

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
So after a few years of not having AC in my 04 TB, I have finally decided I should try to get it taken care of. What are the obvious things to check before having to take it somewhere to get serviced?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Depends on what the problem is. Does it still have a charge? Is it just low? Compressor work? Try jumping the low pressure switch connector to engage the compressor for a second or two to see if it works. If it doesn't, then more troubleshooting will be required. If it's just low or empty, where is it leaking? Might have to use a leak detector to find the leak given the time passed and any UV trace dye is probably gone.

Reactions: FearlessAZ

FearlessAZ

Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I have had it filled twice in the last few years and seems to go warm within a couple weeks. I am guessing its probably a leak somewhere. Not sure if it has developed into anything more because it hasnt been used in a few years.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's possible that air and moisture got in but hopefully the compressor is OK. Probably need to be flushed of all the old oil as it is hydroscopic. Likely they'll add a bit of R134a and look for the leak using a tester. It could be anything from a seal to the compressor.

Reactions: FearlessAZ

LVJJJ

Dec 29, 2015
Blaine WA
can't remember what you call the radiator like thing that cools the R134, but that can be clogged up with debris, so reverse flush it if you can get a hose nozel in there.

mntegra01

Mar 26, 2018
Virginia
I have had it filled twice in the last few years and seems to go warm within a couple weeks. I am guessing its probably a leak somewhere. Not sure if it has developed into anything more because it hasnt been used in a few years.

when we test for leaks, you can't always find them with vacuum, so we have a nitrogen tank and a manifold gauge set that pressurizes the system and we spray suspect areas with soap, like you would with a tire.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Using a leak detector is also pretty good (~$50 at HF). That's how I found the leak in my evaporator by sticking the probe in the drain tube.

Reactions: mntegra01

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online