Filling up fuel always makes pump click off

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
Just bought a used 03 envoy. When filling tank the pump always clicks off. I understand there was a fix put out for this but I am not sure if it was done. How could I visually verify the fix was done? New part installed or any other clues. If it has been done what else could be causing this I understand that whole system is to recover fuel vapes. Please help.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Double check your filler hose while you're poking around. Mine was kinked and played hell with filling up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Another member is having similar issues and could be caused by a plugged up charcoal canister.

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
Interesting. I seem to think I saw some paperwork that the work was done. Maybe they kinked it installing.

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
from what i understand there are a few things that can cause this.. there are valves and that canister. doesnt help that gm knew it and did a t.b. on it. dont know if it was done on mine. its annoying as hell.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
No point in cleaning it. the part is cheap that its better to just replace it. They are not serviceable units.

There's a Vapor Canister Vent Valve ( 25950499 ), this one mounts on the side of the gas tank. Usually thats the cause, and then there's a Vapor Canister (the pricier of the two) that mounts near/under the spare tire IIRC. The first one is usually the culprit if the filler neck isn't the problem. A clogged vent hose leading to these canisters can cause similar issues, if the charcoal pellets from either enter into those lines (if the material inside the canisters broke down over time) from the tank being over filled with gas, and trying to force more in after the pump cuts off. You could try replacing the Vent Valve, and disconnect the vent valve hose leading to the side of the tank and shoot some air through it to see if its blocked. Then connect them and see if it still shuts off at the pump.

Reactions: mrrsm and Matt

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
A kink can form in the rubber hose from the filler to the tank - near the metal tank fitting. I made a steel clip to spread the the hose open. Still, some pumps click off and others don't.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Is the tank full?

sunliner

Mar 25, 2012
mine does this every 2 years or so. I replace the vent valve solenoid and the evap purge solenoid and the problem goes away. not horribly expensive nor hard to do, was aggrivating at first, but I treat it like routine maintenance.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online