Filled tank but won’t start?

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
This has been going on b4 my issues with the fuel injectors (if u saw those posts that is).
If I pack the gas in, when I fill I up I try to go all the way up the neck right to the cap, I have done this on every car I owned but a couple months back when I would fill my TB as much as possible the 1st time I go to start it it won’t start like I have no fuel at all but the second time all is fine (happened today again).
It never happened on any car not even this until more recently any ideas? Thanks

• Wow
Reactions: Sparky

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
It's recommended to not top the tank completely off, just fill it until the pump shuts off. Topping off tends to flood the emissions controls (purge valve, carbon canister, vent valve), and eventually causes them to fail. The purge valve in particular can cause a no start condition after filling if it's failing or flooded.

Cheers-

Chris

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
:wowfaint:

Why would you fill it all the way up the filler neck? To what benefit?

As mentioned, you're running the risk of flooding and damaging all sorts of emissions stuff (which some could result in the symptoms you're experiencing). Just fill the tank until the pump clicks off and leave it at that.

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
I'm not sure why it would do that but like they said...don't fill it all the way up the neck. Just until it clicks. :smile:

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
I always top off. On my Silverado, I can put 5-7 gallons in after the first click; which has been happening for over 14 years. At first, I thought that it was going into the tank too fast, so have the medium selection on the pump with the same result. I’ve never had a problem with my Envoy either.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I think your "problem" is more a "coin incidence of observations" as opposed to related symptoms. With your recent posts, I would focus on troubleshooting of a "no start" as opposed to linking a problem to a full gas tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Actually, no start after fill up is a fairly common indication of a purge valve problem, as I found out while digging in to the problem. Had to replace one on a Traverse and on a Hyundai Santa Fe. Both had a constant issue with not starting after the owner filled it as full as it could get without overflowing, but if it sat for 20 minutes or so, it would start fine. In between fill ups, no starting problems. When the vehicles finally threw a code, it was for the purge valve. Changed out the valve and the problem stopped. Then again, I also convinced both owners to stop topping the tank off to the last microliter... :wink:

Cheers-

Chris

Reactions: Blckshdw and Matt

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
Actually, no start after fill up is a fairly common indication of a purge valve problem, as I found out while digging in to the problem. Had to replace one on a Traverse and on a Hyundai Santa Fe. Both had a constant issue with not starting after the owner filled it as full as it could get without overflowing, but if it sat for 20 minutes or so, it would start fine. In between fill ups, no starting problems. When the vehicles finally threw a code, it was for the purge valve. Changed out the valve and the problem stopped. Then again, I also convinced both owners to stop topping the tank off to the last microliter... :wink:

Cheers-

Chris

Question for you would a bad purge valve cause the truck to throw O2 codes like system to lean etc? I have been having a ton of issues since I put new fuel injectors and upstream and downstream O2 sensors in all related to the amount of gas the computer is picking up either to much or to little. Thanks

:wowfaint:

Why would you fill it all the way up the filler neck? To what benefit?

As mentioned, you're running the risk of flooding and damaging all sorts of emissions stuff (which some could result in the symptoms you're experiencing). Just fill the tank until the pump clicks off and leave it at that.

I fill it that much because I can squeeze an extra 5 plus gallons in after it clicks and since I’m permanently disabled and only get one check a month to live off of I have to fill it in the begging of the month as much as I can to get me threw the month without running out of gas.
Before in my other cars I just did it to eliminate a couple extra stops at the gas station.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It costs the same fuel-wise whether you fill the tank once or half fill twice. Just fill it til it clicks off, then later on add 5 gallons. You'll run into fewer problems that way (and likely lower long term costs).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online