Fill 'er up

Uncle Blazer

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
so after I gassed up the TB (sorry kids, pick which one of you isnt going to college), I noticed that the little metal flapper(technical term) that gets pushed out of the way by the nozzle is no longer there. I assume it is nothing more than a splash guard or to keep things from falling down into the tank.
1. Is this something that even needs to be replaced?
2. Is this something I can do without dropping the gas tank?

Jimbo052

Feb 29, 2012
:iagree: I'd like to hear an explanation of the function of this part as well because mine is permanently bent back.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'm not sure how important it is given that it isn't even remotely vapor-tight. But if you do replace it, that flapper piece is part of the fill neck, which is a separate piece from the fill tube, which is separate from the tank. No need to drop the tank or any of that stuff, just a few hose clamps or whatever.

Personally I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
IIRC, that part was eliminated in '06 and newer trucks to save GM 75 cents per vehicle.
Don't worry about it.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Have an 08 and mine does not even have one, dont worry about it .

Don37725

Dec 8, 2011
Uncle Blazer said:
so after I gassed up the TB (sorry kids, pick which one of you isnt going to college), I noticed that the little metal flapper(technical term) that gets pushed out of the way by the nozzle is no longer there. I assume it is nothing more than a splash guard or to keep things from falling down into the tank.
1. Is this something that even needs to be replaced?
2. Is this something I can do without dropping the gas tank?

Guess what! - flapper is the correct term - who wudda thunk it.

If you decide to continue without it you may want to invest in a fire suit or, up your life insurance - maybe that kid will make it to college after all.

Fuel Filler "Flapper"
By techarchive on May 1, 2006 4:41 PM | No Comments
The fuel filler pipe has been redesigned for the 2006 model year to eliminate the spring loaded steel "flapper." The new design will be phased in when the existing stock is used up.

These vehicles are the first to be affected: Corvette, XLR, STS, CTS, Impala, Monte Carlo, LaCrosse, Allure, Grand Prix, Cobalt, Pursuit, HHR, Solstice, Malibu, midsize utilities, Hummer H3. Others will follow.

On the earlier design with a plastic filler pipe, the metal flapper was part of the ground path for electrostatic discharge when the fuel fill nozzle is inserted.

In the new design, a metal pipe with metal restrictor serves as a ground path without need for the flapper.

This is normal. Do not replace any parts for this condition. If the fuel filler neck with flapper door is replaced, the service part will be missing the flapper door.

- Thanks to Wayne Zigler and Dino Poulos

Don37725

Dec 8, 2011
Sparky said:
Personally I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Sparky? - you may want to reconsider.

part of the ground path for electrostatic discharge when the fuel fill nozzle is inserted

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
I could of sworn my 06 had that flapper. I would sometimes add fuel to my tank with a 5 Gallon jerry can, the spout was flexibly ribbed and tore the heck out of the flapper a few times. One day I noticed the flapper was missing. I could always hear the flapper raped as the spout was shoved in, when I pulled it out I could feel the resistance and knew it was being abused something terrible.

I would use the jerry can when I needed mower gas. I would pour 1 gallon for the mower and the other 4 into my TB. I had always assumed the flapper fell into the tank.

Also, whenever I refueled one of my cars, I always make it a habit to touch my hand on the vehicles sheet metal a couple seconds before I insert the fuel nozzle.

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Come on. Real men remove the flapper, then go to the gas station to fill up. While doing so you need to sniff the gas fumes while smoking a cigarette and talking on your cell phone.:no::no::no: Wait... Maybe its the opposite of that.:undecided:

Uncle Blazer

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks for the help fellas. I am going to price the part and see if i want to take action.

:thumbsup:

One thing nobody really addressed: any ill effects from the piece hanging out in the fuel tank?

Jimbo052

Feb 29, 2012
Considering that the flapper is meant to ground the fuel nozzle to the vehicle, would it be a problem if it's just bent back?
View attachment 19713
I also noticed that on my '05, the filler neck is metal. I thought it was supposed to be plastic? :confused:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1332254968580.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332254968580.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 70

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Don37725 said:
Sparky? - you may want to reconsider.

part of the ground path for electrostatic discharge when the fuel fill nozzle is inserted

The whole opening is metal and there is a ground strap attached to it. :shrug:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Don37725 said:
Guess what! - flapper is the correct term - who wudda thunk it.

If you decide to continue without it you may want to invest in a fire suit or, up your life insurance - maybe that kid will make it to college after all.

Fuel Filler "Flapper"
By techarchive on May 1, 2006 4:41 PM | No Comments
The fuel filler pipe has been redesigned for the 2006 model year to eliminate the spring loaded steel "flapper." The new design will be phased in when the existing stock is used up.

These vehicles are the first to be affected: Corvette, XLR, STS, CTS, Impala, Monte Carlo, Lacrosse, Allure, Grand Prix, Cobalt, Pursuit, HHR, Solstice, Malibu, mid size utilities, Hummer H3. Others will follow.

On the earlier design with a plastic filler pipe, the metal flapper was part of the ground path for electrostatic discharge when the fuel fill nozzle is inserted.

In the new design, a metal pipe with metal restrictor serves as a ground path without need for the flapper.

This is normal. Do not replace any parts for this condition. If the fuel filler neck with flapper door is replaced, the service part will be missing the flapper door.

- Thanks to Wayne Zigler and Dino Poulos

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected. :redface:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Juicy K said:
Come on. Real men remove the flapper, then go to the gas station to fill up. While doing so you need to sniff the gas fumes while smoking a cigarette and talking on your cell phone.:no::no::no: Wait... Maybe its the opposite of that.:undecided:

Smoking your cell phone and talking on your cigarette? :rotfl:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Sparky said:
The whole opening is metal and there is a ground strap attached to it. :shrug:
I don't think the flapper is available any longer, but as Sparky said, the whole top is metal, any part of it will ground the nozzle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher