Fan Clutch

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
My water pump is leaking. Since the pump and the fan clutch are original with my '03, I thought that I would do both at the same time. But what clutch should I get (I usually order from RockAuto)? I am confused by the different options. I do not want to have to tune out codes, so I would like a model that is basically an easy swap.

Do I dare leave the original radiator in, or should I replace that too?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The Mahle/Clevite, which is a Behr, is the original supplier to ACDelco and is more reasonable. It is a little more expensive than our previous go-to Hayden, but operates much better as commanded and is beefier.

Your radiator should be fine unless it's been beaten up a lot or something. Actual radiator failures are pretty random.

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I suppose that I should add that I tow, so any type of clutch that would improve my cooling performance would be welcome too.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
More RA weirdness. I just looked it up and here is what I get:

Behr clutch.png

Maybe that particular supplier doesn't ship to your location. Try searching for that part number in RA. Also do a search using Google as it gave me a few suppliers in Europe which may be a cheaper option for you.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Or... You could get a tune on your computer, and put in the 08-09 non-electric fan clutch.. Just saying. Its a direct bolt in, your fan even bolts up to it. Its just a matter of tune, and fun clutch

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just an added note on the Behr, it performed better than the Hayden. This was a concern in that thread I posted for towing. The Hayden didn't get up to speed as commanded.

As far as converting to a thermal, I'd have to say that you are better off with the original electro-viscous clutch as the PCM has much better control over it and if needed, you could add a switch to manually supply a full 12V+ to the fan for full engagement if needed, however you would sound like a dump truck.

Reactions: Mektek

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Just an added note on the Behr, it performed better than the Hayden. This was a concern in that thread I posted for towing. The Hayden didn't get up to speed as commanded.

As far as converting to a thermal, I'd have to say that you are better off with the original electro-viscous clutch as the PCM has much better control over it and if needed, you could add a switch to manually supply a full 12V+ to the fan for full engagement if needed, however you would sound like a dump truck.
I looked up the Behr, and this model is only listed for the 4.2L engine. Does this work in the 5.3 engine? I would need to know that someone actually put it in a 5.3 without problems. Even the MAHLE product catalog lists the clutch as only for the 4.2L engine.

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Okay, I looked up parts for both 4.2L and 5.3L engines. All the part numbers (even the GM) match for the fan clutch. I think that the manufacturer somehow made a mistake in their catalog, and RockAuto is just going by what the manufacturer lists for compatibility.

Can't see why the Mahle/Behr wouldn't work in the 5.3L.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have used clutches between the 4.2 and 5.3 therefore they will interchange. Didn't look specifically for the 5.3 but as you saw for the ACDelco and other part numbers, they are interchangeable.

Behr may still be going by the original 2002 listing, which only had the 4.2 that year.

Reactions: linneje

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online