fan clutch to E-fan conversion

silverstar020

Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Trying to find someone who has done this conversion and how it has worked for them as well as a great place to purchase parts from.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
A couple have tried with mixed results. There isn't a drop in version for the I6. If you have the 5.3 the parameters are there in the ecm iirc. That being said most fans are marginal and you'll need a bigger radiator. Theres a reason these have a semi fan on a honda radiator. The 5.3 may be a little better with rad options though. For the price it isn't that worth while it seems because so much has to be done to make it work right.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Tried it in my early years on the TB. Cooling was marginal as well as A/C performance. Eventually went back to a thermal fan when I got off the e-fan Kool Aid.

The radiator is marginal, I6 or V8 and GM overcompensated with a mechanical fan, whether electro-viscous or thermal in later years. That's why we never got an e-fan from the factory.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Reactions: Blckshdw

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you needed a new clutch AND radiator, the expense could be justified. That radiator may not work on the V8 due to different hose placement.

For your '08, you don't need a tune to cancel codes since you already have a thermal fan clutch from the factory.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
That radiator may not work on the V8 due to different hose placement.
Yeah, you'd need to go to an Autoparts store and browse their hoses that would work, kind of a pain. Took us like 30min. to find an upper and lower that'd work.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online