Fan clutch replaced but new issue.

str8wick3d

Original poster
Jan 19, 2020
SC
4.2 2003 envoy. My fan clutch was sounding like a JET engine all the time and was making a distinct ticking noise under the hood. After replacing the fan clutch the ticking noise went away. The JET noise is heard on cold starts but goes away as it should. Problem is that when accelerating between about 2000rpm - 3700rpm the jet noise comes back strong. If you floor it and let the rpms wind out the noise goes away when you reach about 60mph. What could be the problem?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
What brand clutch did you get?

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Donor may have been scrapped with the a similar problem to you. Does the clutch at least look "newish"?

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Ive found that just about every aftermarket FC has a mind of its own. Some that cause problems but most just seem to run on high much more often than the OEM. The 1 i recently put on my v8 envoy Ive never heard kick on to high put seems to cool just fine, granted its only sat at Idle and has no miles on it. I recently had to have 1 installed on my 4.8L v8 work truck and it runs on high just about 90% of the time in stop and go traffic where as my original rarely ran on high except on 85+ deg days. The biggest problem this causes is low gas mileage from the higher pull on the motor ....with todays gas prices that may not be a big deal but I know if I ever get my Envoy back to a daily driver Ill spend the extra money to get the ACDelco OEM clutch just for the worry free consistency it brings...

Uncleenvoy

Feb 12, 2020
Ny
I had the same problem..after changing the water pump on my 4.2l I cross threaded the fan clutch nut on reassemble..I bought a replacement from parts geek they were the cheapest at the time..suffered everything mentioned so far loud jet engine noise avg mpg dropped to under 10 and truck was real sluggish I was scared to accelerate too hard it was so loud.after 2-3 months of that I got one from advanced auto..instant improvement..parts geek even accepted it back way after their 30 day policy... they didn't even question it I think they know their product is crap

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online