Fan clutch nut

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
So I have the fan clutch removal tool, 36mm wrench, from Autozone and for too long now I have been struggling to get the nut loose from the water pump. BFH and a couple of whacks hasn't helped. Am I missing something? This was off less than 18mo.s ago for a water pump.

And wedging a screwdriver in the bolts...maybe I am too worked up right now but I don't see how that will work. :crazy:

I don't have a chain where I am. I already broke a smaller chain. Any help is much appreciated!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Bigger whacks. Fabricate something stronger than the broken chain with material at hand. Coat hangers are wonderful sources of thick wire! Use anti-seize next time.

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
:banghead:

Had a coat hangar in sight. Vice grips on the hanger and it came easily. One of those days. Broke a te ouble light and rear diff fill plug is rusting :mad:

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
It is becoming on of those days.... :frown:

triz

Apr 22, 2013
+1 on the air chisel. I almost passed out removing mine. Air chisel saved my life YO! 30 seconds to take it off.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
moneypit said:
An air chisel loosens it right up if you have one. instant/quick/painless!

:yes:

just a few taps, and it will then come loose, just like a pickle jar lid tapped with the back of a knife.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
Do you use the air chisel on the nut, and then put the wrench on it ? Just trying to picture it right.

And the chain, is that to hold the other tool in place while you swing the hammer at. The wrench?

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Air chisel the edge/corner of the nut so not to tap it onto the bolt. Use it quickly to loosen the bolt on it's own

What I did was loosen a bolt on water pump pulley, wrapped the coat hanger nice and tight around the bolt and the ground hook above alternator. The hanger prevents the pulley from being turned loosening the nut. to loosen and tighten. Loosen lefty and the pulley g r ts held in lace because the hanger prevents pulley from turning any farther.

moneypit

Dec 7, 2011
Instrumental said:
Do you use the air chisel on the nut, and then put the wrench on it ? Just trying to picture it right.

And the chain, is that to hold the other tool in place while you swing the hammer at. The wrench?
just "tap" nut w/air chisel(trigger) then once loose just unscrew by hand or with a wrench. No need for hangers and such? Of course this presumes you have a air compressor and air chisel/hammer. I bought a cheap set at harbor freight.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online