Fan clutch not engaging on startup

Glasgowmotorspts

Original poster
Apr 7, 2019
Lake Wales FL
Hey there new to the forum, I've searched and seems there's a bunch of threads of the opposite problem I'm having. When I first start the truck, mostly when cold the fan does not seem to engage fully. Like I can probably grab it and stop it. So the problem this causes is I can not turn on my ac until the truck fully warms up, as it will not work. Once the truck fully warms up the clutch seems to engage more. Once warmed up and moving along with ac on, truck never overheats. Truck never overheats in general. I had another TB in my shop, I started it up and the fan clutch was way more engaged than mine on first start up. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's not a certainty that the clutch will be engaged on startup. Some go, some don't. It's dependent on which position it stops in for the silicone to migrate into the clutch from the reservoir at rest. If it seems to be working right, I wouldn't worry about it.

Is yours an electro-viscous clutch? If so, you can test it:
How to test the electro-viscous fan clutch

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No, what I am saying is your clutch can still be good and not be engaged at startup. You would need to test it first.

Glasgowmotorspts

Original poster
Apr 7, 2019
Lake Wales FL
Ok, so I could still be a signal problem? The fan clutch uses signals to control it, so could it be that it's not getting signal from the high pressure ac switch? What I'm asking is if anyone has ran into any issues with it moving slow. Cause if the clutch is still good then what can it be?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe if it's not working at all. When cold, it can take a little longer for the silicone to circulate and engage the clutch. Testing it will confirm.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175