Factory non bose Question

Ace1875

Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Is the the factory radio controlled by any CM?

Reason i ask is my rear speakers come on and off on demand when they feel like it.

Let me explain.

when i start the car and turn the music on the rear speaker might or might not come on.

And when they do they will not go out until i stop, turn the TB off go in the store and come back.

I checked for loose connections and nothing. My stereo is factory, speakers are factory.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I didn't examine all of the wiring in the door when I pulled mine the other day but didn't seem to be much there. Wires to the window switch and the speaker and I think that was it. The radio and speaker will stay on for about 10 minutes after shutting off the engine or until you open a door if sooner. If their staying on when you turn the radio off or doing other crazy things I'd suspect the head unit. However my right rear speaker was dead and I think water got to it.

Ace1875

Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Mark20 said:
I didn't examine all of the wiring in the door when I pulled mine the other day but didn't seem to be much there. Wires to the window switch and the speaker and I think that was it. The radio and speaker will stay on for about 10 minutes after shutting off the engine or until you open a door if sooner. If their staying on when you turn the radio off or doing other crazy things I'd suspect the head unit. However my right rear speaker was dead and I think water got to it.

no i know they aren't dead or else they would have never come on.

when i turn my truck off and exit the radio dies, as every tb, then when i renter after a while, its a guessing game (will they come on.......Nope...........YAYE)

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Since you have an EXT, you might have RSA (rear seat audio). If you do have rear seat audio, the rear speaker signals go from the radio through the aux hvac controller and then to the speakers. Your symptoms don't match a typical RSA fault, but since they are both going out simultaneously it might be something to look into, again that's only if you have RSA.

Another thing worth mentioning, if the radio detects a fault in the speaker, it will set a code in the radio and (internally) turn off that speaker until the key is cycled. The speaker will then miraculously work again as long as the radio doesn't see a fault. A speaker that is crapping out, as well as a problem with the wiring, can both cause this.

Ace1875

Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
MAY03LT said:
Since you have an EXT, you might have RSA (rear seat audio). If you do have rear seat audio, the rear speaker signals go from the radio through the aux hvac controller and then to the speakers. Your symptoms don't match a typical RSA fault, but since they are both going out simultaneously it might be something to look into, again that's only if you have RSA.

Another thing worth mentioning, if the radio detects a fault in the speaker, it will set a code in the radio and (internally) turn off that speaker until the key is cycled. The speaker will then miraculously work again as long as the radio doesn't see a fault. A speaker that is crapping out, as well as a problem with the wiring, can both cause this.

nope not seen any code.:no:

there are no rear audio controls just HVAC controls.

i want to keep my head unit and change out the speakers with preamp inputs and an external amp. But if the head is faulty then that will render all that useless. :helpme:

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
Are you sure both rear speakers come and go at exactly the same time? Sounds to me like the speakers are blown. They get wet and sometimes do come and go.

MMIN

Feb 26, 2012
im replacing them ALLLL next week :smile:

That's the way to go most of the time. Assuming you don't have a radio issue which would be very rare GM speakers coming on and off is very common. The speaker itself is usually still ok its the connections between the connector and the actual speaker that go bad. They are repairable but it usually isn't worthwhile if your going to go through the trouble of taking the panels off and speakers out just replace them and upgrade your sound at the same time. We see them all the time usually a swift fist to the door panel near the speaker will make them pop back on at least momentarily.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online