Factory Nav vs aftermarket

sorsha93

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Wondering which is better a factory Nav system or aftermarket setup I'm thinking aftermarket would have more features bluetooth etc

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I think you're thinking 'almost' right. These days, you don't even need to shell out for dedicated navigation - get yourself something that supports Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, and you can use Google Maps, Waze, etc., for navigation. Plus you have the integration for phone, apps, music, etc.

If you really want the on-board Navi, NavTeq (aka: 'Here') was generally regarded to have the best / most accurate maps, so look for a unit that has that over TeleAtlas (TomTom)

If you want a 'factory' look, keep in mind that the GM deck requires you to keep the Navi disc in the unit while using navigation. You can imagine how that eventually works out.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Definitely aftermarket. Android units are quite good and versatile. The old OEM navs are outdated junk IMHO.

sorsha93

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
I think you're thinking 'almost' right. These days, you don't even need to shell out for dedicated navigation - get yourself something that supports Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, and you can use Google Maps, Waze, etc., for navigation. Plus you have the integration for phone, apps, music, etc.

If you really want the on-board Navi, NavTeq (aka: 'Here') was generally regarded to have the best / most accurate maps, so look for a unit that has that over TeleAtlas (TomTom)

If you want a 'factory' look, keep in mind that the GM deck requires you to keep the Navi disc in the unit while using navigation. You can imagine how that eventually works out.
Thanks I really like the apple carplay I will look into units with that

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Keep in mind that smartphone apps are limited to cell phone territory. If you get out of cell reception, you lose your nav. Plus, with all the laws against handheld devices in vehicles, I don't want to take a chance having it in my hand or even just touching the phone screen more than one button push when mounted to the dash. (Illegal in most provinces and many states.)

I have used dedicated Garmin GPS for many years, and almost never use the smartphone app. I have the new Garmin DriveSmart 65 and it is amazing. Plus, one thing cell phones can't do is add an aftermarket backup camera, which the new Garmins CAN do. I have a Garmin BC40 wireless backup camera that attaches to my licence plate frame. It installs in seconds and transmits an image to the DriveSmart 65 wirelessly with one button push. (It also comes on automatically when I turn on the GPS and shuts off once I start driving forward.)

I find apps way too limited, and having a large-screen GPS mounted to a vent mount on my dash is like having the most modern factory GPS nav and Bluetooth connection … but with the ability to update maps three or four times a year FOR FREE.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
The prices of aftermarket radios have fallen a lot. You can get an Android OS radio for less than $100 with screen sizes starting at 6.2" up to 10". They usually come with a standalone navigation app and you can load any other you like. No need to keep a link to your phone.
Being forced to keep a DVD spinning to use gps is crazy - forget the OEM.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Im going to go against the grain here. I love my stock nav unit. I upgrade my Nav disc yearly (for free, burn it myself), and I have installed a bluetooth adapter.

I was also the first, and last person, to install the 2 disc 9-7x unit into my truck. So I still have a CD slot, while using the Nav Disc, although who uses CD's anymore? But this mod is not for the light of heart, and took a lot of trial and error to get it to look right.

I installed a Windows CE, and then a Android, nav unit in my Hyundai Santa Fe, and I have to say, it was nice to have all those app store options.. Until you realize its a distraction. Keep it simple, avoid the distractions.

On the downside thou, the stock NAV unit is also quite a bit more expensive. And once they start having read errors, is all down hill from there. I am going on 10 years on my 9-7x Nav Unit, and still works flawlessly.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online