Factory Air Ride Question

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Has anybody played with the sensors, or the arms for the sensors of the air ride, to level or lift the truck? When I did my brakes this past summer I was looking at it, I know I can adjust it, just was not sure if anybody has played with it, and what the results were. I just did not want to mess with it if it would not bring much of a result. Any information would be great. :thumbsup:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
a lot of SS folks do the rear air bag adjustment to level off the rear end to match the front... i did mine about a year and half ago.. its free and easy to do.. and absolutely zero difference in ride quality.. thats just leveling though.. im sure if you were to get lower or higher, it would adjust the ride quality a little bit...

if we go to low, then we hit our factory bump stops.. so some of us just cut ours in half... i didnt take mine that low... very easy to do.. and havent looked back since i did it...

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
a lot of SS folks do the rear air bag adjustment to level off the rear end to match the front... i did mine about a year and half ago.. its free and easy to do.. and absolutely zero difference in ride quality.. thats just leveling though.. im sure if you were to get lower or higher, it would adjust the ride quality a little bit...

if we go to low, then we hit our factory bump stops.. so some of us just cut ours in half... i didnt take mine that low... very easy to do.. and havent looked back since i did it...

Bumpstops?? We don't need no stinkin bumpstops?? Lol. Seriously none here.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Very easy and free adjustment, as you noted. Are you wanting to go up or down?

4 Wheeler magazine lifted a Lexus GX470 (like a Toyota Land Cruiser) in the back this way about 3" by adjusting the ride height. I don't have factory air bags (used Avalanche Z71 springs and some spacers in the rear for lift) but that Trail-Lex was one of my inspirations for "gentlemen's offroading" in 2005.

2004 Lexus GX470 - Customization & Buildup - Four Wheeler Magazine

View attachment 19016

Attachments

• 129_0407_02z+lexus_gx470+left_front_view.jpg
    129_0407_02z+lexus_gx470+left_front_view.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 67

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
silvernclean said:
Bumpstops?? We don't need no stinkin bumpstops?? Lol. Seriously none here.

if i went lower on mine, i would definetly need to either alter the bump stops, or purchase after market... i lowered it on the bumpstops just to see what it looked like... hmmmmmm... :crackup: i loved it.. but DAYUM that was a terrible ride... i bought this truck to forget about my lowrder days of riding on or without bumpstops (had a 1994 dodge dakota show truck laying full frame with showtime hydraulics, never again!!! lol)

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Well mike (supersweettb04) was saying ( while we were dropping the voy) that it rides rougher with the bumpstops on. He said he didn't have any on....sooooo I decided to skip out on the stops. Rides perfect and love the ride. :thumbsup:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
silvernclean said:
Well mike (supersweettb04) was saying ( while we were dropping the voy) that it rides rougher with the bumpstops on. He said he didn't have any on....sooooo I decided to skip out on the stops. Rides perfect and love the ride. :thumbsup:

i can see the logic in that... hopefully your frame isnt close enough to where you hit a bump, it bottoms out... remember too, SS' are lower from the factory, then we do the bag adjustment.. so we're closer to the stops... and from past experriences.. i will always use a bump stop :crackup:, in that same Dakota, the frame broke in half in the back from bottoming out with no bump stops.. i learrned my lesson!

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
:eek: maybe i 'll think about putting them on then. I am sitting pretty low. Regulator has my measurements.

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Thanks guys, right now I would just like to level it. (I have disliked the raked look since my dad first got his Z71) But once my tax return is in the bank, I think it may be time to finally break down and do a lift. Was curious since i know it should obviously have some play, not sure if I would be better off switching to coils, or If I could get away with adjusting the air suspension to keep it level with the front lift.

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
STLtrailbSS said:
Sky High Sensor, I miss the fall when my truck was clean :no:
View attachment 4312

Leveled
IMAG0242.jpg

Wow, that did alot to the look of it. Supposed to be nice today, I think I may play with my sensors :biggrin: If I get to it, I will take before and after shots to let you guys know how it went.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
STLtrailbSS said:

No, but thank you. :biggrin: I just came inside to look and see what else I could do, with both bolts in place I am only getting about 1" lower on both sides. (adjusted all the way) I just looked at the TBSS thread, not to second guess anybody, but is it seriously alright to leave the front bolt out? I guess its just a pet peeve finishing with extra bolts. LOL

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
the roadie said:
It's OK as long as the bolt is tight enough that the sensor doesn't move on its own. As an enthusiast, I'm sure you'll check it more often than J. Random Owner.

Thanks Rodie, I guess after lunch I am going to play with it again. I did take a before shot so once I get it finished Ill be posting pictures.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
The Sensors are very touchy, Both my bolts are in I tryed multiple attempts until I just loosened and bottomed them out and that's what I came up with im 1/4inch higher in the rear which is a fantastic measurement to those sensors most people see a 1/2 inch difference.

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I did not get to finish messing with it today, had to go re-install the new LGM in Moms Trailblazer so I could get it to the stealership for re-programing. So as long as the rain is not to bad tomorrow I will attempt it with just the rear bolts. The sensors with both bolts are maxed out and I am still about 2 inches different front to rear, (maybe the front coils are sagging?) View attachment 19028 Start was around 4 inches higher in the rear
View attachment 19029 About 2 inches higher in the rear, but i guess the picture does not show what the measuring tape did... Fail

Attachments

• IMG_3002.jpg
    IMG_3002.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3004.jpg
    IMG_3004.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 5

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
definitely see a difference in the front well = level success not raking so bad anymore

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I do notice it seems I am looking more "past" the hood than "down" it now when driving it. I may still try to fine tune it today. If so again I will post pics. Thanks again guys. I knew there was a really good reason to move over from the OS.:rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.